• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

exporting compressed AVI from Vegas Pro

bondukkevin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help, when using normal vegas pro can you make it so that when exporting to i.e. an .avi file it is not as big or is there a way to compress it?

I export i.e. 2 minutes and is over 400mb. Is there a format to export that is smaller in size but as good quality?

thanks in advance.

Rather than changing format, you should probably check your compression/codec settings.

moved to technical help forum, and fixed title. Be specific with your help posts to get an informative and timely response :) carry on.

This is absolutely a worthwhile question, and one that I share.

In Sony Vegas 11, I see no options for compression/codec settings. Pretty weird. I don't seem to see frameserving options available in the same way as tutorials mention for previous versions, either. We could always let Vegas encode in whatever presumably uncompressed avi codec it's using and then convert it with VirtualDub, but this seems like a wasteful step.

Menbailee said:
This is absolutely a worthwhile question, and one that I share.

In Sony Vegas 11, I see no options for compression/codec settings. Pretty weird. I don't seem to see frameserving options available in the same way as tutorials mention for previous versions, either. We could always let Vegas encode in whatever presumably uncompressed avi codec it's using and then convert it with VirtualDub, but this seems like a wasteful step.

While I don't have 11, I would be amazed if they removed this option. With every version of Vegas I have used from 6 to 10, it was quite easy to export to a compressed format. On rendering, choose AVI, and click the video tab. The option should be there under the format box. Here is what it looks like:

vegasTemplate1.gif

If 11 looks totally different, than I assume it is just hidden somewhere else.

Thanks--it turns out that in Vegas 11, the button to Customize the template (and thus have codec options) just requires you to scroll down the Render menu, when on many monitors it looks as if the bottom of that menu is already showing. Funny GUI issue that nabbed at least two of us. Of course, Vegas is now giving me an error anytime I try to encode using the DivX codec (or if I try to render in .wmv, or in a variety of other formats). That's a different issue, but at least now the OP and I know how to do this in theory.

Back
Top Bottom