• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Terra Nova

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now, in total contrast to American Horror Story - I found Terra Nova, which everyone has been hyping as 'THE show to watch' - not only found it dull, cliche and unoriginal - the thought that keeps going around in my head is :

The premise of this show DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

They travel back in time, through a 'crack', but because the probe they sent never reappeared, this means it went to a parallel universe, which means whatever they do back there doesn't effect the present. WHAT? Furthermore, they can't send messages back to the future, but somehow, the future keeps sending people through, not knowing if they're getting there or they're all dead. Somehow, Terra Nova has jeeps, machine guns, tyres, sophisticated 'Bones' style computer tech, powered by ? Who makes the bullets? It looks like IKEA fitted out the houses. Plus, they have money, but given that everyone there is there for a reason - ie, their occupation, why do you need money? And how much is it worth and how do you get paid?

It has more holes in it than The Phantom Menace that has been shot to pieces. And Spielburgo is involved!!! :-(

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All good points...but trumped by one simple fact. The show is dull. I could forgive myriad problems if it weren't for the whole "boring and stupid" problem. :)

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
white43 said:
Now, in total contrast to American Horror Story - I found Terra Nova, which everyone has been hyping as 'THE show to watch' - not only found it dull, cliche and unoriginal - the thought that keeps going around in my head is :

The premise of this show DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

They travel back in time, through a 'crack', but because the probe they sent never reappeared, this means it went to a parallel universe, which means whatever they do back there doesn't effect the present. WHAT? Furthermore, they can't send messages back to the future, but somehow, the future keeps sending people through, not knowing if they're getting there or they're all dead. Somehow, Terra Nova has jeeps, machine guns, tyres, sophisticated 'Bones' style computer tech, powered by ? Who makes the bullets? It looks like IKEA fitted out the houses. Plus, they have money, but given that everyone there is there for a reason - ie, their occupation, why do you need money? And how much is it worth and how do you get paid?

It has more holes in it than The Phantom Menace that has been shot to pieces. And Spielburgo is involved!!! :-(

I only watched the pilot, so I may not be up to speed, but I'm not sure what your "WHAT?" is for? Why doesn't that make sense? It's an alternate timeline. Pretty simple. I also thought they could communicate with the future. I thought they mentioned it in the pilot. And why wouldn't they have all that stuff if they sent it back as well? I don't recall anywhere saying that only people were sent back. And power...of course...is supplied by natural, renewable resources like solar.

Dunno anything about money since it wasn't shown in the pilot as far as I can tell.

It's a stupid show that is cliched and preachy, but I don't think most of what you brought up is all that hard to explain away. The biggest flaw is the BS future Earth, the characters, the political message, etc. IMO.

I won't be watching it further.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am a believer that if you can go back in time you can't change anything. Because what is done is done. If you think you can kill Hitler by time travelling: you will be killed before, and no one will know. That's what I think. The only other "believable" POV is alternate timeline, indeed. I did not see Terra Nova yet. But I'd always prefer alternate timelines stories to the unbelievable "change the past and you change the future" ones (exept for BTTF, because it don't take itself seriously).

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a family show but without the needed humor like in Eureka or other family sci-fi shows. Also, it needs way more hot women for me to keep watching.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I only watched the pilot but fell asleep halfway through. Just didn't hold my interest, and with limited time I have to be frugal with what show I watch.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll give it, as nOm says 'the prerequesite 4 episodes'. If it's still stupid balls, I'm out.

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All the comments here basically describe my feelings on the show too. 3 episodes in, and I'm already thinking it's like a poor man's version of SGU. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for at least another half dozen episodes, just to see if it livens up at all. However, if this is meant to be the best TV show around at the moment, I say there's something very wrong people.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't even bring myself to watch a single episode after the south park dis, do let me know, after four episodes, if I'm wrong though :)

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ep 4. Started okish. No worse than an SG1 episodic, but then downhill - I hate it when the audience are two steps ahead of the characters. "But why aren't you effected????"

There's only 13 eps. I might finish out. Might....

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lol, think I'll give this one a miss then.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I am a believer that if you can go back in time you can't change anything. Because what is done is done. If you think you can kill Hitler by time travelling: you will be killed before, and no one will know. That's what I think. The only other "believable" POV is alternate timeline, indeed. I did not see Terra Nova yet. But I'd always prefer alternate timelines stories to the unbelievable "change the past and you change the future" ones (exept for BTTF, because it don't take itself seriously).

Realistically, I don't think time travel will ever be possible for humans for the reasons you point out that it would just cause too much cosmic instability if it were. Maybe on some massive galactic black hole scale or something where conditions are very rare is it possible for energy and elemental particles to jump through time.

Regardless of all that though, from a storytelling standpoint I have always been fond of stories like 12 Monkeys where when characters try to alter the past, it turns out that that attempt is already factored into the extant present. I.E. you can change the past, but you can't really change the past!

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Regardless of all that though, from a storytelling standpoint I have always been fond of stories like 12 Monkeys where when characters try to alter the past, it turns out that that attempt is already factored into the extant present. I.E. you can change the past, but you can't really change the past!

I like this type as well...as long as it's not that attempt that triggers the stuff in the future that turns out to be the reason for going back in the first place (ex. Terminator). That kind of thing is a major logical plot hole, and most movies can't make up for it in other ways (thankfully Terminator did).

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Isn't that better known as Grandfather Paradox? I fully agree Kev.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^The Grandfather paradox is going back in time and killing your own Grandfather, which should not be possible according to a single timeline theory. The Terminator (and 12 Monkeys) exhibit a predestination paradox, where everything that happens always happened, and always will. (The Terminator sequels notwithstanding.)

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yea well. Terra Nova is still shit.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree. Just watched the...I think third episode. Blecch. One more chance and then I'm out.

Top Bottom