If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Terra Nova
All the comments here basically describe my feelings on the show too. 3 episodes in, and I'm already thinking it's like a poor man's version of SGU. I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for at least another half dozen episodes, just to see if it livens up at all. However, if this is meant to be the best TV show around at the moment, I say there's something very wrong people.
Completed
Last Survivor Completed Edits
Currently Editing
The Night of Samhain

Can't even bring myself to watch a single episode after the south park dis, do let me know, after four episodes, if I'm wrong though Smile
'Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves'

Bill

Guybrush: Im looking for 30 dead guys and one woman.
Cannibal: I dont want to hear anymore about it.

Ahhh The Cuttlefish & Asparagus or The Vanilla Paste?
-Chinese guy
Ep 4. Started okish. No worse than an SG1 episodic, but then downhill - I hate it when the audience are two steps ahead of the characters. "But why aren't you effected????"

There's only 13 eps. I might finish out. Might....
"I'm super....dooper serial."

Fanedits: Independence Day Redeclared | Samantha Darko | Accountability | Godzilla: Zilla
Preservations:  A Fistful of Fingers
Lol, think I'll give this one a miss then.
'Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves'

Bill

Guybrush: Im looking for 30 dead guys and one woman.
Cannibal: I dont want to hear anymore about it.

Ahhh The Cuttlefish & Asparagus or The Vanilla Paste?
-Chinese guy
TMBTM Wrote:I am a believer that if you can go back in time you can't change anything. Because what is done is done. If you think you can kill Hitler by time travelling: you will be killed before, and no one will know. That's what I think. The only other "believable" POV is alternate timeline, indeed. I did not see Terra Nova yet. But I'd always prefer alternate timelines stories to the unbelievable "change the past and you change the future" ones (exept for BTTF, because it don't take itself seriously).

Realistically, I don't think time travel will ever be possible for humans for the reasons you point out that it would just cause too much cosmic instability if it were. Maybe on some massive galactic black hole scale or something where conditions are very rare is it possible for energy and elemental particles to jump through time.

Regardless of all that though, from a storytelling standpoint I have always been fond of stories like 12 Monkeys where when characters try to alter the past, it turns out that that attempt is already factored into the extant present. I.E. you can change the past, but you can't really change the past!
Projects Completed:
Matrix Revolutions - The Epic Edition
The Two Towers Rebuilt

Projects truly In the Works:
Star Trek (2009): Gem Edition

Projects kinda sorta conceptually In The Works:
Riddick: The Chronicles
Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi
Who Watches The Watchmen
geminigod Wrote:Regardless of all that though, from a storytelling standpoint I have always been fond of stories like 12 Monkeys where when characters try to alter the past, it turns out that that attempt is already factored into the extant present. I.E. you can change the past, but you can't really change the past!

I like this type as well...as long as it's not that attempt that triggers the stuff in the future that turns out to be the reason for going back in the first place (ex. Terminator). That kind of thing is a major logical plot hole, and most movies can't make up for it in other ways (thankfully Terminator did).
Isn't that better known as Grandfather Paradox? I fully agree Kev.

Fanedits: Independence Day Redeclared | Samantha Darko | Accountability | Godzilla: Zilla
^The Grandfather paradox is going back in time and killing your own Grandfather, which should not be possible according to a single timeline theory. The Terminator (and 12 Monkeys) exhibit a predestination paradox, where everything that happens always happened, and always will. (The Terminator sequels notwithstanding.)
Yea well. Terra Nova is still shit.

I agree. Just watched the...I think third episode. Blecch. One more chance and then I'm out.