• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Article: Fanedits Get Some Exposure In A New Article From Penthouse

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks reave. An entertaining read. Like these lines most...
Lucasfilm spokesperson Lynne Hale says, “We don’t support the reediting of films, but very much support fan enthusiasm done on a noncommercial level.” Smart, considering those who are disemboweling Star Wars films are the same people purchasing adult-size Ewok costumes. As entertainment lawyer Moore says, “You don’t want to piss off your fan base. It’s better to let them do their thing than to stop them.”

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hm, it's good to get some exposure but I can't help to read it as if the author was looking down on fanedits:

was more than enough to piss off the lightsaber wielding dweebs who’d camped in front of Cineplexes in anticipation of the first Star Wars prequel.

Using The Phantom Edit as an arche type, aspiring filmmakers living in their parents’ basements all over the world

Smart, considering those who are disemboweling Star Wars films are the same people purchasing adult-size Ewok costumes

Now I know that the penthouse demographic is not 100% the same as the fanedit watcher demographic so maybe those comments are there to appeal to the non-faneditors because it reads like comments thrown into a geeky subject to make the reader feel less geeky

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mrs. Frink: What are you doing on Penthouse?
Frink: Reading an article about fanediting.
Mrs. Frink: *stink-eye*

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Mrs. Frink: What are you doing on Penthouse?
Frink: Reading an article about fanediting.
Mrs. Frink: *stink-eye*

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not the most informative article in the world. Still it gets fanedits out there a bit more so its probably all good.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
Hm, it's good to get some exposure but I can't help to read it as if the author was looking down on fanedits:

Blair Fischer said:
was more than enough to piss off the lightsaber wielding dweebs who’d camped in front of Cineplexes in anticipation of the first Star Wars prequel.
Blair Fischer said:
Using The Phantom Edit as an arche type, aspiring filmmakers living in their parents’ basements all over the world
Blair Fischer said:
Smart, considering those who are disemboweling Star Wars films are the same people purchasing adult-size Ewok costumes

Sunarep said:
Now I know that the penthouse demographic is not 100% the same as the fanedit watcher demographic so maybe those comments are there to appeal to the non-faneditors because it reads like comments thrown into a geeky subject to make the reader feel less geeky

I completely agree. FYI, As reave mentioned in the first post, this is the "maxim article" (original post, here). There was always an attitude of "nerds in their parent's basement" concerning the article. I got the questionnaire from Blair as well, but was kind of put off, so I never continued the dialogue. I was really happy to see blueyoda start f*$king with him.

Yes, it's nice to get exposure, but it's also kind of shitty to continue the macho vs. nerd stereotypes.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the whole macho/nerd thing is kinda done these days as the macho image seems to get more stick than nerds do any more.

I am quite happy and comfortable describing myself as a geek/nerd.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
I am quite happy and comfortable describing myself as a geek/nerd.

same, but I don't think it has to be so polar, and the caricature gets a little old. I wouldn't have been bothered too much if Blair didn't come off as condescending from the start.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes he certainly had his own agenda from day one.

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As do most writers. Overall I felt the article was at least fair to the art of Fanediting.

News credit to TMBTM.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
News credit to TMBTM.

I was searching for fanedit news and ended at Penthouse magazine, I swear!

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great article, I liked it. Shamed to admit I still haven't seen the Sharksploitation Edit, but the scenes described in this article definitely convinced me! :)

EDIT: And Herskowitz is only jealous because we wouldn't touch his stuff with a ten-foot-pole! :cool:

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
I was searching for fanedit news and ended at Penthouse magazine, I swear!

is that what you tell yourself before you go to sleep?

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
is that what you tell yourself before you go to sleep?
No, that's what he tells his ha.... never mind :cool:

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Poor TMBTM. He really does read Penthouse for the articles.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
Poor TMBTM. He really does read Penthouse for the articles.

Penthouse has articles?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:yield:
Hehe, I was searching for reviews of my fanedits with google to maybe make a page about it on my own blogspot blog. I typed "Jaws the sharksploitation edit", and I found that pentouse article.

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
:yield:
Hehe, I was searching for reviews of my fanedits with google to maybe make a page about it on my own blogspot blog. I typed "Jaws the sharksploitation edit", and I found that pentouse article.

A likely story

Top Bottom