If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

OCTOBER 2018 FEOTM - Every month we ask the community to vote on their Favorite Fanedit of the Month. To view the nominees and vote visit this thread.

ThrowgnCpr's guide to prepping a HD edit in Vegas (ripping & converting from Blu-ray)
I've got VegasPro 14 and I'm working on a movie with 'DTS-HD MA 24bit 7.1'. I've got it all extracted and have 8x wav files. As far as I can see Vegas only supports Stereo and 5.1 projects. So what do I do?

(Also I assume SR is "side right" and BR is "back right"??)
Can't you do 5.1 project and pan side/back channels accordingly?
[size=large]●[/size]  Completed    [size=large]○[/size]  ITW
(10-03-2018, 03:03 AM)TM2YC Wrote: I've got VegasPro 14 and I'm working on a movie with 'DTS-HD MA 24bit 7.1'. I've got it all extracted and have 8x wav files. As far as I can see Vegas only supports Stereo and 5.1 projects. So what do I do?

Demux the disc again with eac3to.  Use this post as a guide to using the HD DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor GUI.  In the +Options box, add the -down6 switch; eac3to will downmix the 7.1 to 5.1 and output six mono WAVs.  From there, you can set up a 5.1 project as normal.
Non sum qualis eram.

Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Decoding Video and Audio
Captain Khajiit's Quick Guide to Encoding a BD via the Command-line
Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Encoding with HCenc

For tech support, PM me (politely) or use the @+username function: I rarely read through threads these days.
I'm assuming TM2YC is wanting to preserve the 7.1 mix? Those methods would down mix it.

Can you output 8 individual wav files and combine/mux them in post production?

My two gripes with Vegas are its video input incompatibilities and output restrictions.
(10-03-2018, 05:07 AM)Captain Khajiit Wrote: Demux the disc again with eac3to.  Use this post as a guide to using the HD DVD/Blu-Ray Stream Extractor GUI.  In the +Options box, add the -down6 switch; eac3to will downmix the 7.1 to 5.1 and output six mono WAVs.  From there, you can set up a 5.1 project as normal.

Awesome, thanks once again Captain Smile . I wasn't sure if it was:

Code:
-down6

or

-down6 switch

but the former did the trick (the other sounded a loud klaxon Big Grin ). I've got my 6 wavs now. I'm curious how that function operates. Does it mix all 8 together, into 6 new channels, or just downmix the four rear/center channels, or something else?

(10-03-2018, 09:30 AM)DigModiFicaTion Wrote: I'm assuming TM2YC is wanting to preserve the 7.1 mix? Those methods would down mix it.

Sorry, I should have been clear. I wanted to downmix them, although being able to import 7.1 into Vegas somehow would have been another option.

By the way, would adding...

Code:
-down2

...output a stereo downmix? If not is there some other 'Options' command that would?

EDIT: I tried and it does appear to produce two L and R wavs but is that method correct?

(10-03-2018, 04:44 AM)Plissken1138 Wrote: Can't you do 5.1 project and pan side/back channels accordingly?

Hmm not sure. So pan the side channels to the sides of the little box (pictured below) and when I output to 5.1 they should get mixed 50-50 into the front and rear? Sorry if I'm making no sense Wink .

[Image: surroundpannerwindow-track.gif]
(10-03-2018, 10:40 AM)TM2YC Wrote: when I output to 5.1 they should get mixed 50-50 into the front and rear?

Yep, that's what I had in mind. It should mix 50-50 if you pan it exactly in the middle of the sides. Captain's method works too, and it's less hassle, but I'm not sure how it downmixes or which channels into which, never tried it, but I'm guessing it mixes evenly throughout. Now, when I think of it,  with the box you have more control how it mixes into left, right and surrounds, in case you want to experiment with it.
[size=large]●[/size]  Completed    [size=large]○[/size]  ITW
(10-03-2018, 10:40 AM)TM2YC Wrote: I'm curious how that function operates. Does it mix all 8 together, into 6 new channels, or just downmix the four rear/center channels, or something else?

It remixes only the surround channels.  The others remain the same.

EDIT:  Sorry. I missed the edited part of your post.

(10-03-2018, 10:40 AM)TM2YC Wrote: By the way, would adding...

Code:
-down2

...output a stereo downmix? If not is there some other 'Options' command that would?

EDIT: I tried and it does appear to produce two L and R wavs but is that method correct?

Yes, it's correct, but -down2 still functions only for legacy reasons.  Nowadays, one can choose between -downStereo and -downDpl.  The latter is a DPL2-compatible downmix.
Non sum qualis eram.

Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Decoding Video and Audio
Captain Khajiit's Quick Guide to Encoding a BD via the Command-line
Captain Khajiit's Basic Guide to Encoding with HCenc

For tech support, PM me (politely) or use the @+username function: I rarely read through threads these days.