• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Openshot for Ubuntu

I've never actually edited with Openshot myself, but I have read that its set of features is somewhat limited; as I understand it, its a software meant to aid in the joining/cutting of home videos and the like and not something meant for actual film manipulation.

But hey, we are talking Linux here, so choice is the name of the game, I suggest you give this http://webtablab.com/linux/best-free-linux-video-editing-softwar/ a read.

Out of those discussed in the article, I am partial to Kdenlive due to its wide feature set/ease of use ratio... and then Cinelerra is a powerhouse but a bitch to get to learn; but it's best if you try them and decide which is best for your tastes. And remember apt-get is your friend :)

Cheers Havok

I haven't used Linux for video editing before but I am hoping to find a suitable package so that I can remove windows from my poor old PC.

I like the idea that Cinelerra is a powerhouse, but when you say 'a bitch' how hard are we talking?

Badscooter said:
Cheers Havok

I haven't used Linux for video editing before but I am hoping to find a suitable package so that I can remove windows from my poor old PC.

Hearing that someone wants to ditch Windows always makes my day, good going!

Badscooter said:
I like the idea that Cinelerra is a powerhouse, but when you say 'a bitch' how hard are we talking?

Well I think that basically the interface is the antithesis of intuitive, I've attempted a go at it a couple of times and almost punch my screen in frustration.

If you have the patience, take it for a spin - http://cinelerra.org/docs.php

Well if I am going to be learning a new package from scratch I may as well try learning the best package.
I'm wondering if I will need the 64 bit version of Ubuntu to run Cinelerra though?

Badscooter said:
Well if I am going to be learning a new package from scratch I may as well try learning the best package.
I'm wondering if I will need the 64 bit version of Ubuntu to run Cinelerra though?

Nowadays it's rare to run into packages on Ubuntu/Debian that are dependent on a specific cpu architecture so you shouldn't have problems with either 32 or 64 bit installs.

Get it fast from command line, the best way to install !

Code:
[B]sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cinelerra-ppa/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cinelerra[/B]

I just read that Cinelerra is only tested in 64 bit since its virtual memory requirements often exceed 32bit.

Apt-get is your friend after all!

Yeah so that I can take it off a dvd to work with it in cinelerra. (it is installing now as I type)

Badscooter said:
Yeah so that I can take it off a dvd to work with it in cinelerra. (it is installing now as I type)

Not sure about that, hopefully it will take .VOBs... the dd comand will give you an iso which I guess you know you can unpack and get the plain VIDEO_TS structure; just dont forget to install libdvdcss2 to be able to extract, it's available from Medibuntu.

This is a really old thread, any one have updates on what would be the best editor for Ubuntu? Open Shot, Lightworks, Cinelerra, etc...

I don't think anybody uses Linux, (that I know of,) for fanediting.

white43 said:
I don't think anybody uses Linux, (that I know of,) for fanediting.
Dang, okay. I'm in the wild west for that one. Thank you.

ByteShare said:
Dang, okay. I'm in the wild west for that one. Thank you.

ByteShare, you might want to keep an eye out for LightWorks, as it will be the first professional grade NLE available for Linux and the first public Beta is supposedly coming along by the end of this quarter. Get yourself registered in the site to be able to download when released.

Back
Top Bottom