• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Stuttering video after VirtualDub resize

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I resized a 1080p video to 720p using VirtualDub at 23.976 fps. The outpus video's size is perfect, the quality is perfect but the video stutters horribly and isn't in sync with the audio. Any help? Thanks!

Bonus question for 500 points: I actually don't even need the audio track: is there a way to bypass it in VirtualDub and only encode the video?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
first question: check to make sure your video file actualy is 23.976. Use MediaInfo for this. If it is, make sure you didn't change the frame rate in vdub.

bonus question: Under the Audio dropdown in vdub, choose no audio. This will remove the audio, and render your AVI with a video track only. You can just extract the audio from the MKV to use in Vegas.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Using MediaInfo, I verified that the original video is indeed at 23.976. I also checked the "Frame rate" menu in Vdub and it's set at "No change (current: 23.976).

I don't see any Audio options...The only thing related to audio is found under "Options" and it's Sync to audio, which is checked. Unchecking it still gets me sound on my output files.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
what version of vdub are you using? you should use the most recent (1.9.11) version of the standard version (not virtualdubmod, or any variant). There is an audio option at the top:

virtualdub_2_Audio.jpg

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:lol:

What edit you working on, bud? ;)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol, I did a google image search for virtualdub, and that was one of the first ones that came up, so I snagged it. I'm at work now, and don't have any video files or editing software handy.

But yes, you caught me, I am making a Serious Epic edition of the Focker saga :p

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't wait to see it! It'll certainly be the best film trilogy based on a family saga that DeNiro will be involved with! Er...wait. :p

(I got the latest Vdub. I had Vdub Mod. That explains it. Doesn't explain the awful video stutter though...)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
their may be some additional settings I am not familiar with on vdub mod. Give the standard virtualdub a try, and let me know how that goes. I have some ideas about your video stutter, but will wait until you render with the standard vdub to confirm.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
But yes, you caught me, I am making a Serious Epic edition of the Focker saga :p
I'll add it to my "next edit" poll.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I tried it again with the newest version of standard Vdub and it's still the same: perfect except for the stutter and weird frame rate...

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ARe you sure you aren't just seeing lag, vs. stutter? If you are saving as lagarith, it is a lot of computer processing to render that to screen. What are computer specs?

Also make sure you have the video set to direct passthrough, unless you are downsizing in the same step... Why are you downsizing again? And how did you do that?

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm downsizing because the DVDs look like crap whereas the BDs look much better. Since my edit will be in standard definition, I don't need to work with 1080p files so I thought I'd downsize them to be more manageable.

I took the original 1080p files, created a script in Avysynth to be able to open them in VirtualDub. Then I apply the Lanczos3 resize filter, change it to 1280X720 (66.6667% X 66.6667%) and compress it using Lagarith lossless.

I tried to resize the video at 50% now and the stutter is less obvious but the sound drifts out of sync and I'll see a frame still stutter once in a while.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If your output is to be standard definition, then resize your video to standard definition. Resizing to 1280x720, editing, then resizing again will give you two sets of resizing artifacts. If by "more manageable", you mean that your computer will be able to handle the video without problems, then it will have even fewer problems at SD resolution.

thebutcher

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant by more manageable. I didn't want to work with unnecessarily big files so I resized them. I didn't even think about the artifacting, I just thought "well, let's not downsize it TOO much" haha. So what would be the appropriate dimensions for SD?

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ What the man said. CK stole my punchline. :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes, and it sounds like your "stutter" is due to computer lag, which was my first guess.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You have basically the same specs as my computer. I get a bit of that in Vegas too. Sometimes the lips will seem out of sync but they aren't really. The way to test whether it truly was encoded wrong or whether it is just your hardware lagging is to make sure your Vegas preview window is set to a low preview setting. The slow the video way down with the playback slider. When you play it slow, does it appear smooth with the audio synched to the lips?

Top Bottom