• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Womble trouble

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hola gang,

So I made a rip of a somewhat older disc via the usual method - via a fairly recent dvdfab and pcgdemux. I still had to have Womble fix the GOP stuff to get the video to work, but the result was fine. Trouble is, Womble accepts the pcgdemux .ac3 file into the timeline, but doesn't play any actual audio - and when I export a selection, I hear nothing in the export, either. And yet when I play the entire movie .ac3 in VLC player, it sounds great. Any insight, anyone? Thanks! :)

Was it 5.1 or 2.0? dunno but that might narrow it down for someone around here to help you. Did you re-try demuxing? Can you get it to work in wombles preview window? Maybe rename it even, and try that. Good luck!

It's 5.1. Aye, I re-tried it, same result, also with the name change - except that sometimes gives brief, warped-ish effects.

Guess I'll probably have to install the latest dvdfab and repeat from scratch... :p ;-)

Warped-ish effect? Did it sound cool? Might encode that just incase it comes in handy, lol. There's always dvdshrink (i know, dvdfab's supposed to be better, but i like dvdshrink) or dvddecrypter. I wonder if you could use something else to remake the 5.1 somehow, like how womble does a smart render...

C'mon Womble! :|

I would not test troublesome files by playing them in VLC. VLC will play everything, even fucked up stuff. A better test would be to see if it plays in windows media player or media player classic.

I am guessing something is wrong with your rip, but womble is a turd of a software, so you never know if that could be the issue too...

I'm trying to wrap my head around the thread title...

ThrowgnCpr said:
What wrap your head not around the title why?
speed-racer-lol-no.gif

Gaith said:
Guess I'll probably have to install the latest dvdfab and repeat from scratch... :p ;-)

Try the trial of AnyDVD. If you still have no joy, as a last resort you could try downmixing the 5.1 to 2.0 with HeadAC3he and seeing if that played.

Shouldnt it be "Womble recognizes my .ac3 file (NOT)" :p

Tried it again, then tried with AnyDVD, still no joy. This wholly remarkable disc simply will not let itself be edited. So long, and thanks for the nada! :p

Okay, good news, bad news time: good news is that the problem is definitely with Womble, not pcgdemux or any particular potential edit. I tried ripping another disc and got the same silent treatment from the demuxed .ac3 in Womble, which made me suspicious, so I opened up an older project, for which the ac3 files used to work perfectly... and now I can't hear them, either. (Though I can hear an mp3 in the same timeline and channel.) So, something has happened to Womble where it's no longer playing ac3s only.

I've already tried uninstalling and re-installing the program. I've checked as many mutes and volume controls as I can think of; no dice. And, as I said, it reads and plays the mp3 fine. It even reads the audio portions of multiplexed VOB rips fine, but when I try to export sound files directly from those, it fails to read any sound off its own exports (it'll let 'em in the timeline, but won't play 'em).

So... what's goin' on here?! Have I hit some wrong setting in Womble that somehow wasn't wiped by the reinstall? I can live without being able to edit a random disc, but I want my Womble back, dammit! :cry:

I have the same ac3 audio problem with Womble, ever since I applied the last Womble 5.0.1.102 software update.
Hopefully, Womble comes up with a new update patch soon or you could try asking in the Womble forum.
http://www.womble.com/forums/

Currently, I have been converting ac3 files, with free software Format Factory, into high quality 320kb/s mp3 files to do audio editing in Womble.

boinger said:
Currently, I have been converting ac3 files, with free software Format Factory, into high quality 320kb/s mp3 files to do audio editing in Womble.

These cannot be 5.1 files, so why not use PCM?

boinger said:
I have the same ac3 audio problem with Womble, ever since I applied the last Womble 5.0.1.102 software update.
I see. Damn. Guess I'll have to email support, asking 'em if there's a link to an older version of Womble 5 I can use in the meantime. Still, good to hear I'm not alone. :oops:

PCM? Is that like a .wav file?

I see that format factory software can convert ac3 to wav files, too.

boinger said:
PCM? Is that like a .wav file? I see that format factory software can convert ac3 to wav files, too.

Yes; make a PCM wav. It's better to make a lossless file to edit than a lossy one, so you avoid an unnecessary lossy encoding in your workflow.

Captain Khajiit said:
Yes; make a PCM wav. It's better to make a lossless file to edit than a lossy one, so you avoid an unnecessary lossy encoding in your workflow.

^^.

Going from ac3 to mp3 and back to ac3 is far from optimal. Its enough to make an audiophile cringe. That triple lossy transcode will result in noticeable quality loss, not to mention the loss of 4 channels.

Also, many editing programs don't have good built in support for editing from ac3 format, and some won't let you import it at all.

Back
Top Bottom