• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

LOST - All Answers Revealed!

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those of you who were disappointed with how LOST ended, the creators of the show presented a special video at ComicCon this year. It explains everything...

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It all makes sense now!

I think the writers are best when they are just having fun... well not always, but mostly :D

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I liked the ending. It was meta and kinda left a lot too the imagination, but then, didn't the whole show? I don't know how any TV series could ever end and make everyone happy, especially in shows where so much is purposely left ambiguous to the viewers so that they can draw their own conclusions.

Would I have made it different? More than likely. Do I know how I would have ended it? No frakking clue. Like a good rollercoaster, pulling into the end of the ride is somewhat anti-climactic. I'm just happy to have been along for the ride.

Now where is the frakkin' movie to tie all the loose ends up?

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
ambiguous to the viewers so that they can draw their own conclusions.

I like abstract and ambiguous when done with purpose; not when done to cover up for bad writing.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just found the perfect fanedit of Lost's ending that explains everything much better:

wtzBE.gif

If it doesn't show, go here: http://chugginmonkeys.com/how_lost_should_have_ended

:D :D :D

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it all makes sense now.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Make sure Sunarep includes that in his edit. :lol:

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Make sure Sunarep includes that in his edit. :lol:

I am actually looking for bonus materials for the final disk, so suggestions are always welcome :D

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
I like abstract and ambiguous when done with purpose; not when done to cover up for bad writing.

+1. i just saw some LOST for the first time, and the point of every scene seemed to be cryptic shit for cryptic shit's sake. i guess the writers wrote themselves into a sodden corner and couldn't claw their way out. ugh.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a LOST alternate ending I made and Driggs put it on his Miniseries Part 4 Special Features.

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
This is a LOST alternate ending I made and Driggs put it on his Miniseries Part 4 Special Features.

Best Jumping the Shark EVER. Classic moments of modern cinema

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, goodness. I laughed and laughed at that ending. Brilliant. :)

Where was that other footage from?

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
awesome, neg! if only more tv shows could end that way.

+2!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Oh, man. That's fantastic. I may have to watch that movie now, too. :)

P

Perro

I loved that show! The girls and guys were all so sexy. And the way it turned out that they were all actually dead at the end! How creepy! Oh gosh... I hope I didn't ruin the end for anybody!

g1orkatsos

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perro said:
I loved that show! The girls and guys were all so sexy. And the way it turned out that they were all actually dead at the end! How creepy! Oh gosh... I hope I didn't ruin the end for anybody!
Dude, Spoilers next time
big_spoilers.jpg

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Perro said:
Oh gosh... I hope I didn't ruin the end for anybody!

It's all cool. The finale ruined the end for everybody.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That Cracked link is weak. The Lost retcons are trivial compared to the others on the list as none of them really impact the story unless you pay too much attention to Damon Lindelof's (probably deliberately) confusing science quote. The reveal in Star Wars became the pivotal moment of not just the film, but the entire saga including the prequels. The X-Files mytharc is a mess of conflicting info, dropped storypoints and horrid clichés (especially towards the end). Twin Peaks was retconned on a daily basis (sometimes in good ways, most of the time in bad) as no one had an actual plan for anything, and it took less than 17 episodes to blow itself apart. (I'm not even going to go into the 24 mess, and I'm still on season one of BSG so I skipped that part to avoid spoilers.) Who cares whether or not David Fury knew everything. He did what he was told by Lindelof. None of the biggest story points of his episodes (Locke being in a wheelchair, for one) were even written by him. He was a dialogue writer, mostly, and in some cases not even that ("Don't tell me what I can't do" was written, uncredited, by Damon).

Sorry for the rant that follows:
To this day I've never understood the hate Lost generates. It's a mystery show that knew fairly well where it was going from pretty early on (most of the mythology was created during the first season), stayed consistent both mood-wise and story-wise pretty much from start to finish, and resolved every major mystery it presented. People can dislike the way it did it on story grounds - which is fine - but everyone is production anecdotes to make their point, as if that actually proves anything.

The fact is this: very little was made up as they went along. For a sci-fi/fantasy/insertgenrehybridhere mystery show spanning years of production and 121 episodes, it's remarkable how well planned it was. And yet, interestingly, the parts that were made up as they went along were often the BEST parts - like putting Henry Gale in charge of the Others, and Damon Lindelof's sudden idea that John Locke should be in a wheelchair prior to the crash. From people who aren't fixated on the "making things up as they went along" line, the creators got at least as much flak from planning too much (e.g. Frank Lapidus sticking around for years, doing virtually nothing, because he was supposed to play a part in the endgame).

In six years, there were probably two retcons (the whispers reveal; the numbers) and four change-of-plans moments (the leaving and coming back; Walt leaving the show because he grew up too fast; Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje leaving; and Nikki and Paolo being disliked). All of them except the whispers retcon were well-handled, imo. (For that matter, it's not even an explicit retcon.) Walt needing to be kidnapped because he got too big dovetailed nicely with Ben's manipulation, the Ana Lucia/Libby story and the introduction of the Others ("we're going to have to take the boy" still freaks me out), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje quitting fit into the Smokey manipulation arc which tied into the next season with fake-Christian, and Nikki and Paolo were removed in a pretty interesting and macabre way once they unfortunately were on the show. Also, a minor probable retcon that actually helped the plot: the fact that DHARMA (in the 70s) used Room 23 to interrogate kidnapped Others. I love that. It puts the Purge in perspective.

To me, the whole show makes sense. I'm serious. Ask me anything.

PS: I love Neg's clip!

Top Bottom