• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Marvel Origins: The Punisher

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
punisherpreview1.jpg

http://www.mediafire.com/?qhb1ku116nloaou

Trailer #1

Trailer #2

a TRUE FANEDIT by Leeroy
After his wife and family are killed, Frank Castle takes it upon himself to distribute punishment to those responsible for the vendetta.

Original film name THE PUNISHER
Film studio name Lionsgate
Film release date September 2004
Original runtime 140 minutes
Fanedit release date February 2011
New runtime 93 minutes
Amount of time cut/added 47 minutes cut

INTENTION
The Punisher character is dark story of revenge and murder and while the film remains faithful to it’s source material for me a lot of this didn’t work. Working from the extended cut in which the character Jimmy Weeks played a more important role, I removed other elements of the film focusing purely on Frank Castles lust for revenge.

EDIT DETAILS:
The 2004 Punisher movie had two of the worst characters in Spacker Dave (Ben Foster) and Bumpo (John Pinette). They were too stereotypical and brought unnecessary humour to film about revenge. They appear briefly in the cafe scene but have no other involvement.
The character of Joan has also been removed and in doing so I’ve removed the proposed love interest between her and Frank. I didn’t like the idea that Frank could find love so soon after losing his wife. The film also has this morale tale that Frank could be a normal person if he choice’s to be. I wanted a Punisher movie were the main character had been tipped so far over the edge that they was just no way back for him.
Because of the removal of Frank’s neighbours the Russian fight scene also had to be removed. It takes away a lot of the violence to the film but for me the fight was too cartoony. plus if Howard Saint knew were Frank was living to send the Russian then why not just send 20 of his men with guns (he did it before)
Also removed is the scene were Frank relives himself to the media. He asks why no one has been arrested for killing his family then starts killing everyone connected and the police don’t do anything?
The family massacre scene has been trimmed and is no longer two family’s that are being wiped out. The popsicle from torture scene has been removed along with Mickeys voice over. It makes Frank Castle character a lot more darker and shows the lengths in which he’ll go to the truth.

KEY CUTS
Removed the Frank Castle’s annoying neighbours and proposed love interest between Frank and Joan
Removed Frank confronting his boss in front of media
Family massacre scene cut so it’s just Frank’s wife, son and parents killed
Removed Punisher logo in flames after the car lot explodes
Removed Russian fight scene
Removed Witch Doctor character
Removed Popsicle from torture scene and Mickeys voice over.
Continuity error removed scene during funeral. Travolta is seen with shades then without
Roy Scheider speech at the party about both family’s being together
Removed Frank and wife on beach having conversion as i felt it was to sloppy
removed lame joke about Livia taking a train and Quentin been wrapped up in something after Howard had just killed them
Removed continuity error of Howard on fire then not during end
DUE TO THE FILMS RATING THIS EDIT IS PROTECTED WITH A PASSWORD.

RELEASE INFORMATION

DL NTSC DVD

SPECIAL FEATURES
DL DVD ONLY
two trailers
deleted scenes
making of – removed the interviews with the actors that weren’t included in the fanedit

music video’s
STEP UP – DROWNING POOL and Mark Collie In Time – Mark Collie
using the save image function on vegas pro i put together two music video’s that tell’s the story of the punisher film.

frank castle vs the Russian
a short 12min episode that shows frank’s neighbours though they have been edited to be less annoying.

SOURCES YOU MUST OWN

Punisher Extended Cut (avi /sl version)
Punisher Extended Cut and Punisher theatrical version (dl version)

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll definitely check this out. I bought this movie (back in the days when i bought dvds without ever having seen the movie before) and my feelings were so-so. Some parts worked, some parts didn't. But I did love the part of the trailer (and the movie), with the guy (who actually played Johnny Cash in a biopic) sings the song and plays the guitar and says "i wrote that for you".

Anyway, I will definitely check this out leeroy!

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you redone this edit, or is it the same version than the previous one? Differences?

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
Have you redone this edit, or is it the same version than the previous one? Differences?

And did you have a chance to reupload it? I still have the itch to check it out but all the extraction problems that we discussed some time ago prevented it ...

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyway, I will definitely check this out leeroy!

cheers Gatos look forward to review / feedback, the second Punisher film has always been a guilty pleasure for me :)

yeah i've made a couple of changes as a review pointed out a couple of things i missed. nothing major it's still the same edit as before, the extras are new the fight scene between frank and the Russian adds more story without been in the film itself . they was a problem i had with the quality of the jimmy weeks scenes (long story but i had to convert the ntsc version so it would work on vegas) this was my first edit and hopefully i've learned from my mistakes this time

And did you have a chance to reupload it? I still have the itch to check it out but all the extraction problems that we discussed some time ago prevented it ...

yeah i've re-uploaded the edit onto megaupload instead of rapidshare so hopefully they won't be any problems this time :oops:

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In that case I'll take another look at this. The previous version showed a lot of potential but the technical quality wasn't up to it. Hope this time is the charm! :)

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had a chance to watch this edit over last weekend but certain work related events prevented me to have a sit down and write a proper review until now.

As always please note that the following comments and observations are just my personal opinions and are not to be taken as an attack but as constructive suggestions of leeroy's Marvel Origins The Punisher

First a few general comments,

I wanted to check this edit out since it was first announced, but a number of problems extracting the distribution zip files prevented me from doing it and so I decided to wait until it was made available again; and I'm glad it happened.

This time around at first I encountered similar problems as last time, but after a bit of poking around I found out that for some reason only proprietary Windows based software was able to deal with them; after trying several tools such as 7zip, unix based unzip and others I had to resort to WinRAR to get the files extracted. Guess i just wish this wasnt the case and recommend using a more compatible compression method for future releases such as rar.

I downloaded the full dual layer DVD, to then use my pal DVDShrink on it and was pleased to find that the movies takes about as much space as a single layer disc which is great for my particular burning hardware situation and even if i had the hardware i know from experience fact that dual layer burning is a pain.
It's clear that leeroy worked hard on making a cool menu and a number of special features, and dumping them is not what I'd prefer to do, for which i can only say sorry.

Onto the actual review

Video quality - Quite good standard definition video is presented, no compression artifacts are noticeable with a proper aspect ratio and thankfully my hardware dvd player supports PAL; but heres the thing: it has been a while since i watched the original movie and I don't remember if the whole of the movie was as visually dark throughout as is presented here. Even broad daylight scenes in sunny Florida seems to have the light drained out of them and when it's night or inside non illuminated spaces it was hard for me to make some things out. I'm pretty sure that i was supposed to be able to see The Punisher's huge chest skull a number of times and it was so dark i just could see a weird smear. Yet overall still quite good - 8/10

Sound quality - Sound quality is also quite good, with no major noticeable edition pops, and only in a couple of places I noticed some sudden volume fluctuations, specially a couple of times when a quite scene shifted to some music. Nothing major, just could be polished a bit more - 8/10

Edit - to be honest The Punisher character has never been one of my favorites, Marvel keeps trying to sell him as edgy corner of their otherwise superhero heavy universe and he often falls into a cliched heavy mobster hating/vengeance territory. For stand alone movie purposes I would have expected a dark tale of vengeance, and that I did not get some years ago.

Now in this edit leeroy gets into the hard labor of removing some very thick layers of cheese that plagued the original release. Dumb comic relief characters have been heavily toned down or almost completely excised - specially Frank's neighbors!; and whatever else had to be lost in order to remove them is more than justified.

I also read that a post family execution character that would have a love interest was excised, something that I just couldn't remember even being there originally, yet I agree that that kind of thing would have been so out of place that words couldn't describe it. Only negative is that I guess we lost Rebecca Romjin from gracing our screens but you can't have everything.

Other small things are improved, such as a better pace so that the movie doesn't drag on forever and somehow made Frank seem more smart and cunning with his revenge planning/implementing to me which was really good; specially during the climatic assault on the gathered mobsters and hitmen at the club.

Overall I have to say that I was entertained and enjoyed the experience exponentially more than I did the original, so a major credit goes to leeroy for that; Travolta will never be my favorite actor, and seeing him as a menacing antagonist is just too improbable for me but well thats impossible to fix.

Only one last note: I wish that the scene where Frank's son gives him the skull t-shirt would have been taken out as i find it very corny.
As I have stated for other reviews, this movie will never be great but this edit has made it watchable. - 9/10

Overall a quite solid 8.33 from me, great job :peace:

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks for the review havok and i'm glad you finally managed to download/watch the edit :). just a note about the video quality yes it's slightly dark due to a mistake on my part but whenever i watch it on vlc i just slightly adjust the brightness and its all good.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Huge round of applause for Leeroy... Havok's review, combined with his post count has qualified This, and EVERY OTHER edit submitted by Leeroy and is waiting in the Unapproved section is now...

approved.png

Congratulations Leeroy.

With a total of 4 edits from one editor coming out at once we'll try to figure out a balanced way of giving them all the spotlight but without completely dominating the new release field.

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks l8 didn't know the other the edits would be approved as well that's great news :)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, when you get one edit approved, all your other pending edits get automatically approved as well. That is, until one of them is found not to be on par with the quality standards and/or rules of FE.org, which would get a disapproval for that edit and send the editor back to firstling status, yet with all their previous approved edits staying approved. At least that's the way I understand it, admins please correct me if I'm wrong.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To me I would say that all fanedits submitted after the approved one are automaticaly approved.
Not so sure about the ones that are pending for months prior to the release of the approved one.

So: I personnaly think that the "new faneditor" would need to resubmit the edits he wants to be automaticaly approved.
(some faneditors would maybe not want all their pending unapproved fanedits to be sundenly released.)

that would basicaly means: the faneditor PM an admint to say "yes I want that fanedit to be released because I think its quality is good enough"

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats Leeroy! Thread moved to "True Fanedits."

TMBTM said:
To me I would say that all fanedits submitted after the approved one are automaticaly approved.
Not so sure about the ones that are pending for months prior to the release of the approved one.

So: I personnaly think that the "new faneditor" would need to resubmit the edits he wants to be automaticaly approved.
(some faneditors would maybe not want all their pending unapproved fanedits to be sundenly released.)

that would basicaly means: the faneditor PM an admint to say "yes I want that fanedit to be released because I think its quality is good enough"

I agree.

If the others are good enough for release as well, send me links to the "needing approval" threads and I will move those as well.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
May I ask if you intend to make a proper export of it or will it stay this way? As it is now, it's not only darker than it should, but video also shows heavy interlacing combing and motion looks jerky. Nothing against you or your edit, but I just can't get myself to watch it if it looks like this.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
May I ask if you intend to make a proper export of it or will it stay this way? As it is now, it's not only darker than it should, but video also shows heavy interlacing combing and motion looks jerky. Nothing against you or your edit, but I just can't get myself to watch it if it looks like this.

I just noticed some interlacing on his The Killer Bride edit, so it must be something he does in conversion

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
leeroy0115 said:
thanks for the review havok and i'm glad you finally managed to download/watch the edit :). just a note about the video quality yes it's slightly dark due to a mistake on my part but whenever i watch it on vlc i just slightly adjust the brightness and its all good.
I just noticed this post. People shouldn't have to adjust their settings for an edit, so...does this need to go back to ITW?

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
for a site that encourages people to do fanedits i find the comments alitttle disrespectful if anyone had a problem you could easily have PM me

all i know is that i'm not a professional editor so mistakes will be made if this spoils anybody's enjoyment then i'm sorry. all i've learned is from the various guides and forums on this site. if you don't want my work to be approved then fine, i'm happy that three people watched and reviewed my edit and enjoyed what they saw.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
leeroy,

Please calm down. FE.org has quality control guidelines in place for several reasons, among them to encourage more people to download and watch your work. I don't see anyone being disrespectful here. On the contrary, we want as many people as possible to download and enjoy your work. If there are technical issues with your edit, and from the comments here (including your own) it sounds like there are, then it benefits *everyone* if you are able to fix them. Trust me when I say there are a lot of people who will not download this or any other of your edits if they find out you are not interested in fixing technical errors.

We are not intending to offend you. When you release something to the public, you have to understand that your work will be analyzed and mistakes pointed out. It's the only way we learn :)

leeroy

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm calm i just don't think this is the place to leave them kind of comments as i said if anyone had a problem all they had to do is PM me and we could have talked about were i'm going wrong. by just stating my work has interlacing problems without explaining what this even means i find alittle disrespectful after the edit work got approved but i'm probably looking at this from different angle.

sure there's quality control guidelines but at the same time it comes down to peoples opinions, every edit i've seen come's with a technical issue be it a bad cut or sound issue it's just something you have to deal with

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Leeroy, I apologize if that came off disrespectful.

Two things:
1. I have watched your Punisher and left my comments, I was not looking for interlacing, so I did not put them there. If I read your comments correctly, did you remove the part where he is going over the rules since #1 is not there? If so, that is the one you can currently download? If that is correct, I will redownload this video and rewatch it. I loved the flow of your cut ....

2. I will leave my interlacing question on the forum thread for the bride!

Top Bottom