• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Flash Gordon - Saviour of the Earth Edition

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
flashgordonsote3dview.jpg

tagline: Saviour of the Earth Edition

Basic details

original film name: Flash Gordon
new film name : Flash Gordon - Saviour of the Earth Edition
film studio name : Universal Pictures
edit crew name : havok
Date Original Film Was Released : 1980
Date Edit Was Released : July 2011
Original Runtime : 111 min
New Runtime : 94 min

Fanedit details

Intention

Flash Gordon was my very first exposure that what would become my life long hobby : big space brand science fiction. Back when i was around 4 or 5 years old I used to watch the re runs of the cartoon daily in the afternoons and became hooked. This eventually sparked my interest so much so that it later led me to the other great franchises which begin with the word 'Star' and the rest is history as they say.

Not much later I found out that an actual life action movie existed I almost went nuts with excitement, and sadly I missed it on the theater due to a near typhoon which spoiled the appointed day combined with the very short time that the single movie theater it was shown at in my native city.

And then, when I finally caught it on home video I remember how I felt quite lukewarm toward it

On the possitive side,

The customes really were a throwback based on the originals and the characters were for the most part true to form.

Vultan and his Hawkmen were spot on, and while a bit over the top they provided lots of entertainment.

Ming is awesome as played by Max von Sidow.

And on the other side,

Flash now a football quarterback?

He does visit Arboria and has lots of interaction with Prince Barin, but when the final fight of the movie takes place the rest of the treemen are nowhere in sight?

Not a single appearance from any of the other 'magical' races from Mongo? I specially missed Frigia (which is only once mentioned in the movie)

And yet, all in all; this is the most accurate live action footage available that is true to the original material so I think that a little clean up job could help improve the experience quite a bit.

Cuts removed/added/extended (add list of what was changed):

The big screen adaptation for this classic science fiction character and universe which originally premiered in the comic strips of the 1930s originally was knowingly made to be a very campy and cheesy affair that drew heavily from the original source material - which was a double edged sword really.

In this edition I am doing trying to remove or at least tone down the think layers of cheesiness that plague the production and leave it as a pure space adventure with just a bit of romance left in.

Here's my list of changes:
- Completely remove the introduction of the film before the main credits, Ming no longer wants to conquer earth because he is 'bored', in fact we don't get to hear/see him until Flash and the gang meet him at the throne room.

- The classic Queen theme song is still very much featured, over the cool comic strip based credits.

- Zarkov introduction downplayed a bit, with the silly humor from his assistant toned down.

- Airplane conversations and action trimmed to avoid the romance taking hold too soon and to tone down the references towards Flash's sports carreer.

- Removed early Zarkov's suggestion that Flash should lead a revolt without knowing whats really going on or can even trust him.

- Throne room scene heavily modified : Dale's jealousy is toned down, all mentions of introduction dialogue between Ming and Klytus about Earth are gone and the whole quasi football sequence is completely gone as well.

- Whole scene with Flash is in Ming's dungeon is completely gone.

- Dale's fainting during the execution has been removed to portray her as a more complete and strong character.

- Bickering small people at Flash's intended tomb site removed.

- Aura, oh my... she does make an impression, yet her worst lines are gone, specially 'I like you a lot'

- When Zarkov is subjected to the mind washing machine, Ming takes the trouble to explain what is going on? And Klytus expresses some admiration for Hitler? All cheese and all gone.

- Telepathic conversation between Flash and Dale trimmed down to remove the most cringy and quasi romantic moments.

- Dale escapes using some cunning, yeah ok cool; but then she becomes an acrobatic gymnast who knocks out guards with very fake hits? Trimmed.

- Arboria, the whole initiation scene is ok, and exposes us some more to Timothy Dalton's Barin; another highlight of the production IMO; and only Flash's attempted escape and bump with a very fake looking swamp creature was modified.

- "Bring me the bore worms/NO! Not the bore worms!" , "This place is a lunatic asylum" gone.

- Flying city of the Hawkmen, trimmed to tone down the cheese of Flash and Dale's reunion, no sudden marriage proposals and a bit of correcting a few errors during the spiked platform duel and removal of Klytus' body melting.
Also cut Vultan's reaction and all the dialogue after the duel with Barin, it was pointed out how over the top it is.
Dale: "Flash, I love you, but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!" gone

- Cut Aura and Dale's pillow fight.

- Toned down heavily the silliness during Ming's forced wedding, all the nonsense is now gone.

- Ending is pretty much untouched, removing the celebration tone was an issue for my previewers and I decided to keep it.

Special thanks go out to Dwight Fry and LastSurvivor with their help, insights and suggestions for this project.
Also kudos go out to Rogue-theX for the motion menu and custom cover that he tailor made for the release, thanks a bunch!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I Cant wait to see this! Best of luck to you Havok :)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow! Awesome cover art! :thumb: :thumb:

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yup, Rogue has come up with another fantastic cover art! Good luck on your edit Havok! ;-)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The edit will be a real eye-opener. Havok has turned a load of camp into a very solid adventure movie. You'll see. :)

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dwight Fry said:
The edit will be a real eye-opener. Havok has turned a load of camp into a very solid adventure movie. You'll see. :)

:yo:

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, this will be well worth a watch... the changes which havok has made does lessen the "campy" nature and that cover art really does rock big time :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you tried patience!!!!!!

Sometimes it takes a while to get an individual file. You can also try restarting jdownloader, or updating it.

What is the exact error message?

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
something is wrong with file 26!!!!!

Yeah jamiemark pmd me about the same issue "The file you are trying to access is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

I am increasingly becoming sick and tired of MU's hosting service, this kind of thing happens way too often and added to the many many older fanedits that are no longer available makes me wonder if FE would benefit by having a dedicated service.

In the meantime I contacted MU's support about it, hopefully it can be fixed with out having to reupload; which would mean a new dlc...

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is it a good idea to contact MU about files that are at best in a legally grey area?

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Is it a good idea to contact MU about files that are at best in a legally grey area?

I figured I'd risk it, either they will see about fixing it or take it down; and if they do take it down I'll be no worse off than I am right now

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:

^ This. Plus, the "temporarily unavailable" files eventually reappear by themselves.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My exclamation points wasn't so much shouting as it was shock and wanted to make sure I let you know.

herowoac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am waiting for part 26 too =) It's been "temporarily unavailable" from here for at least a couple of hours now. Hoping it will magically start working soon.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am so excited to see this edit. It's painstaking how it has come down to 1 simple little file.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right, so with no news on the MU front and the waiting doesn't seem to be of much help.

MU is becoming such a pain in the ass... *sigh*

I also want all of the people interested to check it out asap, so I will see about a reupload during the weekend; and if by then the situation remains I'll appreciate any help from the mods with updating the dlc once thats done.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
havok1977 said:
I also want all of the people interested to check it out asap, so I will see about a reupload during the weekend; and if by then the situation remains I'll appreciate any help from the mods with updating the dlc once thats done.
I think you mean "help from the admins."

;-)

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Filesonic seems like a decent file hosting service.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Right, so here's the situation: the file in question keeps on throwing the same error, and so I think things have reached a point where actions have to be taken.

Since I didn't foresee encountering this kind of thing back when I originally uploaded the edit I erased the rars from my hard drives in order to just keep the DVD authored files. Therefore today I have had to do a re-compress of it with the exact same parameters as last time, and I can only hope that the new rars do match with the previous ones.

I have no idea if rar keeps the same file order every time the command is sent or not, so I have uploaded the new version of the problematic part 26, hoping that it will be a fit and replace the one from last compression. I have pmd one of the posters hoping that he can help me with testing just that; and if anyone else here wants to give it a try let me know and I'll share the link your way.

And sadly, if that doesnt work, I will have to re-upload the whole new compressed rars which means that everyone who already downloaded will have to scrap it and start again; fingers crossed it wont come to that.

Top Bottom