• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Dark Tower

In a couple years we will look back and remember that the show jumped the shark at the moment when Walter rang the bell and William Bell's spirit possessed Olivia. At that moment they abandoned science, which is the crux of the show, it began its downward slide. I hope I am wrong and next season is awesome, but I fear that will not be the case.

They fell into the same trap that the Wachowski Brothers did with Matrix. They established a great story with the war between the two Universes. Instead of being content to see that story through to a logical and satisfying conclusion, they felt they needed to continually surprise the audience with crazy new story twists. This is where we presently stand. Right now fans remain hopeful, but what they have done is thrown out a great story for a confusing mess of a story that will end badly for fans, just as Lost did.

Sorry to be so cynical. I hope I am proven wrong, but I would be willing to bet that I am not.

In a couple years we will look back and remember that the show jumped the shark at the moment when Walter rang the bell and William Bell's spirit possessed Olivia. At that moment they abandoned science, which is the crux of the show, and it began its downward slide. I hope I am wrong and next season is awesome, but I fear that will not be the case.

They fell into the same trap that the Wachowski Brothers did with Matrix. They established a great story with the war between the two Universes. Instead of being content to see that story through to a logical and satisfying conclusion, they felt they needed to continually surprise the audience with crazy new story twists where everything gets turned on its head. This is where we presently stand. Right now fans remain hopeful, but what they have effectively done is thrown out a great story for a confusing mess of a story that will end badly for fans, just as Lost did.

Sorry to be so cynical. I hope I am proven wrong, but I would be willing to bet that I am not.

They fell into the same trap that the Wachowski Brothers did with Matrix. They established a great story with the war between the two Universes. Instead of being content to see that story through to a logical and satisfying conclusion, they felt they needed to continually surprise the audience with crazy new story twists where everything gets turned on its head. This is where we presently stand. Right now fans remain hopeful, but what they have effectively done is thrown out a great story for a confusing mess of a story that will end badly for fans, just as Lost did.

not to get too much off topic but as an avid matrix defender I must always point out that I don't understand why people think Matrix 2 and 3 got lost storywise

Sunarep said:
not to get too much off topic but as an avid matrix defender I must always point out that I don't understand why people think Matrix 2 and 3 got lost storywise

It would take this thread way too off topic for me to respond to that. If you ever get around to listening to it, I do try to outline the reasons why in my Matrix edit commentary.

geminigod said:
It would take this thread way too off topic for me to respond to that. If you ever get around to listening to it, I do try to outline the reasons why in my Matrix edit commentary.

avchd version?

yeah, all versions. The first couple seconds are cut off in the DVD version. :)

Semi Dark Tower news: David Yates (Harry Potter 5-8) is close to finish a deal with Warner Brothers about an adaption of The Stand

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/08/11/david-yates-the-stand

If one universe would profit from a marvel like avengers advertisement The Stand would be a great first stepping stone in this story... but I am dreaming too much

Sunarep said:
Semi Dark Tower news: David Yates (Harry Potter 5-8) is close to finish a deal with Warner Brothers about an adaption of The Stand

http://blog.moviefone.com/2011/08/11/david-yates-the-stand

If one universe would profit from a marvel like avengers advertisement The Stand would be a great first stepping stone in this story... but I am dreaming too much

Interesting, I'm the proud owner of the dual sided dvd release of the 1994 The Stand mini series, which as far as I know it hasn't been reissued since the early 2000s.

Haven't watched in a while and perhaps it could feel dated on rewatch yet I really loved it when I was a teen.

I can only hope that this new adaptation does it justice.

havok1977 said:
Interesting, I'm the proud owner of the dual sided dvd release of the 1994 The Stand mini series, which as far as I know it hasn't been reissued since the early 2000s.

Haven't watched in a while and perhaps it could feel dated on rewatch yet I really loved it when I was a teen.

I can only hope that this new adaptation does it justice.

I bought "Le fléau" at fnac for 10 euros, haven't watched the series in a while but I could never take flagg seriously (probably Because i read the book before watching the movie and the scene with the dead doe just looks hilarious in the series + mel gibson flagg)

Sunarep said:
I bought "Le fléau" at fnac for 10 euros, haven't watched the series in a while but I could never take flagg seriously (probably Because i read the book before watching the movie and the scene with the dead doe just looks hilarious in the series + mel gibson flagg)

Cool thing you were able to get it, I got my copy around 10 years ago and while I'm not saying that I keep tabs on its availability I know that the NTSC DVD-18 (dual layer, dual sided) version I got is out of print.

And yeah, I remember that the guy they got for Flagg back then is not really that menacing, but perhaps he got to me at the time thru apparent evil subtlety; I'd have to set aside 6 hours to rewatch and have a fresh opinion though...

Sunarep, now your big upset with LOST makes total sense to me. Like yourself, I'm a huge Dark Tower fan (peep the avatar for proof) and I was enthralled to find out that the guys behind LOST were using the DT books and The Stand as inspiration for the show. Sadly, they didn't have the balls to end LOST the way King ended the DT Series. I felt like they were on the verge of doing that at the end of Season 5, alas it wasn't so.

Neglify said:
Sunarep, now your big upset with LOST makes total sense to me. Like yourself, I'm a huge Dark Tower fan (peep the avatar for proof) and I was enthralled to find out that the guys behind LOST were using the DT books and The Stand as inspiration for the show. Sadly, they didn't have the balls to end LOST the way King ended the DT Series. I felt like they were on the verge of doing that at the end of Season 5, alas it wasn't so.

yeah your avatar was a subtle hint (all hail the crimson king)
I think darlton really had a great ballsy idea and while lost was small/young they chased it. then more and more meetings took the edge off, because a Dark Tower-like decision will punch a lot of people, but at the same time it will be a decision made by the one who writes the story. The lost finale while annoying a lot of people didn't feel like such a decision, it was more like they put together as many things that make people feel cozy and teary without giving any real story ideas... well not everyone can have the creative freedom that king has.

"The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Sunarep said:
The lost finale while annoying a lot of people didn't feel like such a decision, it was more like they put together as many things that make people feel cozy and teary without giving any real story ideas... well not everyone can have the creative freedom that king has.

Totally. It's like they tried to make the Flash Sideways similar to the Coda in DT7, giving the audience something happy to end on, but the fact that they spent four months building it up is what left it flat.

while it isnt really that much of a spoiler i'd still spoilertag it for people who want to k:oops:now nothing about book 7, that said i agree, the sideways,resolution was not worth 18 episodes of buildup

My only complaint with DT was how King interjected himself into it.
And that Flagg was taken care of so easily. And Roland's son. And the book was about 100-200 pages to long.
But barring these minor issues it was still one hell of an adventure.

I'm so sad the Abrams/Lindelof Dark Tower series never happened. My problem is that I can't stand Stephen King's writing style. It's self-conscious, wonky and flows really badly. I couldn't even finish The Gunslinger, despite its trivial page count, and the comics adaptation was even worse (The comic adaptation of The Stand is great, though, despite being too voiceover-y).

However, I REALLY enjoy King's ideas. They're fresh, weird and inspired. The Gunslinger (the part I read) gave me plenty of food for thought. I just couldn't finish it because the language annoyed the hell out of me. A really good adaption (think Carrie or The Mist (or even The Shining)) would bring the (imo only latent) greatness, and would be an instant classic. I haven't given up hope yet.

theslime said:
I'm so sad the Abrams/Lindelof Dark Tower series never happened. My problem is that I can't stand Stephen King's writing style. It's self-conscious, wonky and flows really badly. I couldn't even finish The Gunslinger, despite its trivial page count, and the comics adaptation was even worse (The comic adaptation of The Stand is great, though, despite being too voiceover-y).

However, I REALLY enjoy King's ideas. They're fresh, weird and inspired. The Gunslinger (the part I read) gave me plenty of food for thought. I just couldn't finish it because the language annoyed the hell out of me. A really good adaption (think Carrie or The Mist (or even The Shining)) would bring the (imo only latent) greatness, and would be an instant classic. I haven't given up hope yet.

The Gunslinger was also written by a very young Stephen King, there even are a lot of Tower fans who think it is best if you start with Part II (Drawing of the Three) which is leagues above the writing from part I - i remember reading the first 170 pages in one turn because part II was so exciting, when I was listening to the audiobook while running I made some extra kilometers to hear how the story went on :D

and the comics are just king stories in name only -they are so boring and formulaic, the only thing that makes them average is the great art of jae lee, but the story he is painting is just boring

I would love to see a man like Del Toro adapting dark tower - very experimental and raw

Agree about the comics. I was into them at first, but got way too bored.

And I really tried to be mindful of spoilers in my above post, tried to make it really vague. In the future I'll do something like this:

If/when they make the movies, they better give Flagg a way better death. Thunderclap is spot on in his critiques.

Also, IMO

King's inclusion of himself into the story (while it is a bit narcissistic) it integral to the final three books. After his accident, King was definitely pondering his own immortality and realized that if he had died, the Dark Tower saga would have died as well. This motivated him to finally finish the stories and since he felt that Roland and his ka-tet were the ones who kept him alive, this became part of the story. Now, how exactly this would be pulled off in a movie, tough to say.

Back
Top Bottom