• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Cowboys and Aliens

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm looking forward to this, looks great!

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i am still intrigued by this cause I know favereau can direct - despite my not giving a rip about either iron man film i did enjoy zathura because it was kinda old school kids/family adventure fare.
the genre mashup is the biggest draw but seems like a difficult one to pull off.
ford/craig/wilde should deliver, but i'll likely rent it unless reviews are impressive.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw this last night. It was pretty boring most of the way through. Terrible pacing.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am curious since it will probably be the closest thing I'll ever get to a dark tower movie and I love craig

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
solid read havok. i am even more interested now.

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kevinicus said:
I saw this last night. It was pretty boring most of the way through. Terrible pacing.

That is a good complaint for here ..... means it can be "fixed."

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revel911 said:
That is a good complaint for here ..... means it can be "fixed."

I could add cliche, convoluted, and flat. I was trying not to be overly critical though. Ford gives a pretty solid performance at least.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ Agreed.

Friends, I just got back from this and it was awful. Granted, I was sitting a bit off-center and the speakers were cranked way too loud to the point where I had to cover my ears during the action sequences, but it still sucked balls. And here's the thing: I loved Battle: LA, and they're pretty much the same movie. So why does one suck and the other rule?

- Characters: Battle has upstanding Marines who are terrified of the aliens, but fight back with boundless courage. C&A has two mains that are loathsome, cruel and humorless. And no one is anywhere near as afraid as the aliens as they should be.

- Story: Battle starts as a rescue story, moves into survival, then ends in attack. C&A is one big hunt movie. Incidents happen, but nothing much changes.

- Kids: Battle has some kids that must be protected and comforted, and are credibly useless. C&A has a precocious youngun, who, trusty dog by his side, kills him a full-grown alien. Puke.

- Women: Battle has two tough women. C&A has a dead flashback chick and a humorless, character-free broad.

- The ending: Battle finishes on a tough but hopeful note. C&A ends with everyone joyfully celebrating a mere day or so after incredibly traumatic events, complete with gratuitous American flags everywhere. Yuck.

- The matchup: I never believed the cowboys and their dinky little pistols could actually down those aliens. Though the Marines were badly outmatched, with their modern weaponry, they at least had a fighting chance.

This one's a real stinker; I haven't disliked a movie this much since (Pretentious) Days of Summer. D.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks, CinemaSins (I guess?), for reminding me that Cowboys and Aliens ranks right down there with Knocked Up, (Interminable) Days of Summer, Tomorrowland, Terminator Genysis, the first ten minutes of Vacation (2015), and Star Trek Beyond as one of the worst movies I've ever seen:

Top Bottom