• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Planet of the Apes

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My all time second favorite movie/tv franchise after Star Trek is Planet of the Apes.

Which is kind of wierd since they are polar opposites.
Star Trek celebrates the best of humanity's potential.
While Apes explores humanity's darkest and worst traits.

Needless to say, I am actually quite excited about the latest Apes project.
They released the first full trailer this week....

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am looking very forward to this. We can maybe even pretend that this was how the "original" rise of the apes took place, before Cornelius, Zira, and Milo went back in time. :)

I'm with you, Bob. I love the Apes universe, even if a lot of it isn't that great. I even kinda like the Burton one, warts and all.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could be good.
Some shots makes me thinks a bit to Brisby and The Secret of NIMH.

EDIT: however, they should stop with those BAM......BAM......BAM.... musics (Inception, Ghost Writter, Tron Legacy...
it's cool and all but I get it).

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^When it comes to a popular approach, the advertising guys are just as quick to copy as internerds are. :)

(But I agree, the style was old ages ago.)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a fan of the Apes series but this one looks meh. Another thing that's holding me back is that they say the cg is done by the same people who did the cg for Avatar. I hated Avatar and as everyone here I'm sure knows I thought the cg for that film. The cg in this one doesn't look any better. As much as the Tim Burton version sucked the one thing they had going for it is that the apes were real. Well, not real but they had actual actors in the ape costumes. Everything was much more realistic. CG is killing Hollywood.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hehehe, a very hairy Golum is leading the rebellion then?

Hopefully it will be good, I'm not a fan of James Franco but maybe it will turn out ok.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Franco is a very good actor when given the right material.
He is definitely a far superior actor to Wahlberg imo. Burton's Apes has flaws, but for me its greatest weakest was its leading man.

For you Ape Fans (hhhmmmm, do Ape Fans have a nickname like Trekkies??), I highly recommend
TIMELINE of the PLANET of the APES by RICH HANDLEY.
It is a real fun read if you love the movies, tv shows, books and comics. He even figured out a way to include Burton's APES into the original movie series timeline. Basically, THADE escapes in the other pod, goes through a time warp and lands on Earth during the period between CONQUEST and BATTLE, joining Ceasar's inner circle and eventually getting a statue built of himself.

Is it my imagination, or did they retain some Roddy Mcdowall elements in the new Ceasar? It kind of still looked like him...?

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally, I hate the theory of Thade using the other pod...but then, if it's good enough for "Escape" then I guess I can't complain too much. Especially seeing as Thade wouldn't have a tight schedule, whereas Cornelius and co. somehow got the Icarus out of the lake, cut off the front half and made a time machine out of it, and all in a couple of weeks before the nuke goes off. :D

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep, that Dr. Milo was a genius!!!:-D

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think this looks good. CGI is not the devil, poor writing is. Ape suits never look real, no matter how hard you try, and if done right the CGI in this should work out better than ape suits for general movement and realism.

The trailer looks great in my opinion, but so did the Episode I trailer, so only time will tell if this ends up being a hit or a miss.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Though seriously, since Doc Milo never appeared on screen during PotA or BENEATH,
he could have recovered Taylor's spacecraft shortly after it crashed (heck, maybe he even witnessed the event)
and been working on it throughout the first two movies.

And seeing the End-of-World-Writing-On-The-Wall (after all, he was a genius!) he grabbed Cornelius and Zira immediately after Brent departed and they all jumped into their Way Back Machine.:p

I wonder if any of this has been already explored in one of the novels or comics?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
(hhhmmmm, do Ape Fans have a nickname like Trekkies??)

Aprons?
thinking-ape-apron.png

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
I think this looks good. CGI is not the devil, poor writing is. Ape suits never look real, no matter how hard you try, and if done right the CGI in this should work out better than ape suits for general movement and realism.

CGI can work if done right but the problem lies when you're watching a movie that features cgi and you can clearly tell that it's cgi. There's nothing I hate more than watching a movie where the cgi is clearly evident. It really takes me out of the movie. I'm more willing to excuse poor writing than I am bad cgi. At least with poor writing it shows that they might have tried but with bad cgi it's like they said "Let's not worry about that. We can do it with cgi." No real effort is put into it because they figure that it can look better with the help of computers. It's not always the case. As for the general movement and realism of the apes you might get something that looks better with cgi but if the apes themselves don't look realistic enough that can really kill it. And let's not forget, in the POTA world these apes are supposed to be evolved to the point of humans so you can forgive them if their movement is not 100% ape-like.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Though seriously, since Doc Milo never appeared on screen during PotA or BENEATH,
he could have recovered Taylor's spacecraft shortly after it crashed (heck, maybe he even witnessed the event)
and been working on it throughout the first two movies. [...] I wonder if any of this has been already explored in one of the novels or comics?
Even given that extra time, I still don't buy it. It's the kind oflogic leap you just have to accept, even if it is ludicrous. Getting it out of the lake is one problem, given the level of technology we see at Ape City...but the biggest problem is that Milo turned an ordinary spaceship into a functioning time machine. That's silly, Gilligan's Island style writing. "Hey look, the Professor made a TV out of bamboo and coconuts!" :D

--------

As for writing vs effects, I will personally almost always choose better writing over better effects. Is there any sane person out there that would say that Terminator Salvation is better than The Terminator?

At the end of the day though, CG is like every other cinematic tool: It's not the tech, it's the talent.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
At the end of the day though, CG is like every other cinematic tool: It's not the tech, it's the talent.

Absolutely. The one part of this that makes me think it might have beyond-standard potential is that Caesar is apparently being performed by the guy who is undoubtedly the world's leading expert on using the technology for motion-captured performance, Andy Serkis.

It doesn't hurt that he's a hell of an actor, to boot. Some people may know him outside of his motion-capture performances from 24 Hour Party People or Sex, Drugs, and Rock 'n' Roll, or possibly as the cook in King Kong, but I actually first saw him in the title role of The Rover, a recorded production of a 17th Century play by Aphra Behn, the first professional female writer in English. He starred with then-also-unknown Dougray Scott and Daniel Craig, and he far outshone both of them.

Part of what made the original POTA work was that they got very expressive actors with extensive stage backgrounds to do the apes, so that they could emote through the latex (Roddy Macdowell, Kim Hunter, and Sir Maurice Evans were all Shakespearean veterans, for example). Serkis definitely has the chops, and he too is a stage veteran.

The problem with CGI v. practical latex effects, as far as I'm concerned, is that there's an added layer of mediation between the actor and the character as the animators translate the performance to the character. They're working on that, as in the upcoming videogame L.A. Noire, which appears to be almost entirely actor-driven. I hope that enough of Serkis can come through in the CGI ape to make the performance memorable, as of course Gollum/Smeagol was (wow) ten years ago now...

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
..but the biggest problem is that Milo turned an ordinary spaceship into a functioning time machine. That's silly, Gilligan's Island style writing. "Hey look, the Professor made a TV out of bamboo and coconuts!"

Actually, when I think about it (and I may be wrong, will have to pop in the dvd to confirm) I don't think Milo actually built a Time Machine.
I think he only repaired the rocket, and while in orbit, the Alpha/Omega Bomb explosion hurtled them through a Time Warp? Or there was a temporal anomoly near Earth or something? :?

As to how Milo could salvage and repair Taylor's rocket is never explained. Though in many of the APES comics, some Apes have access to "lost technology".

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I don't think Milo actually built a Time Machine. I think he only repaired the rocket, and while in orbit, the Alpha/Omega Bomb explosion hurtled them through a Time Warp?

Hmmm. [A quick trip to an Apes wiki later] You're right! My memory sucks on that one. Okay, that's ever so slightly better, plausibility-wise. ;)

As to how Milo could salvage and repair Taylor's rocket is never explained.
And not only that, but that he restored it to working order after apparently junking everything but the cockpit section. (It's a pet peeve of mine in the Apes universe that they kept on re-using the Icarus cockpit as an entire ship. :) )

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And not only that, but that he restored it to working order after apparently junking everything but the cockpit section. (It's a pet peeve of mine in the Apes universe that they kept on re-using the Icarus cockpit as an entire ship. )

Yeah, I hear ya.
They even did the same thing in the Television Series pilot.
The curse of the ever shrinking sequel budget!:p

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
saw the teaser for Rise of Planet of Apes friday night when i went to see scream 4. have to say my friend was really excited bout the new movie. where i'm sorta meh. but then again, i'm not a fan of the original. the only planet of the apes movie i saw was the one with mark wahlberg.

Top Bottom