• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Stanley Kubrick Thread

What is your favorite Stanley Kubrick film after 1957?

• Paths of Glory

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Spartacus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lolita

• Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • A Clockwork Orange

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Barry Lyndon

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • The Shining

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Full Metal Jacket

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Eyes Wide Shut

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

Ziggy Stardust

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is a thread dedicated to visionary director, Stanley Kubrick.

Feel free to discuss any of his films!

Also I added a poll.

Please vote!

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Full Metal Jacket for me.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not a mod or anything, but I'm fine with having one for his entire oeuvre. I don't recall any Paths of Glory or Lolita threads, for instance, and it would feel wrong to discuss those in a thread dedicated to 2001.

Personally, I think Lolita is extremely underrated. Funny as hell (and I like that it feels wrong to laugh at some of the humour), and both Winters, Mason and Sellers are great in it. It's a bit long, though - maybe a candidate for a fanedit? Also, it's been criticised for not being faithful to the book, but in this case I think that's a good thing. The book is a classic and stands on its own. The film is a different take.

My favourite is 2001, though. Some of the most beautiful and awe-inspiring stuff I've seen, especially the slow parts. It's like hypnosis. But as I have yet to see Barry Lyndon, I'm not voting.

Btw, why no The Killing?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
I'm not a mod or anything, but I'm fine with having one for his entire oeuvre.
I am, and I agree!

Plus, as previously mentioned, there's a poll.

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gee, tough choice between Lolita, 2001, and Clockwork Orange. Wish I could vote for all three. And the War Room scene at the end of Dr Strangelove. And the first third of Full Metal Jacket. And...

2001 is a masterwork of vision and control, but I voted for Clockwork because it's a more casual, human portrait.

Lolita is an interesting fanedit suggestion. I would start by moving the opening sequence to its chronological position at the end, and shortening it.

Agree that The Killing should be on the list. It's no masterpiece but it's a competent little crime noir that's better in some ways than Barry Lyndon. And definitely better than Spartacus, I'm no fan of Spartacus. It's more Kirk Douglas than Kubrick.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pages from Kubrick's notes on The Shining.

http://www.theoverlookhotel.com/post/19680564625/stanley-kubricks-personal-copy-of-stephen-kings

theshiningawwyeah.jpg

geffyB

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Very very hard to chose. Given what I love most about Kubrick is his framing, I find it ironic that I chose Dr. Strangelove. I respect 2001 from an artists point of view more, but when rewatching 2001 I find myself skipping parts of the first half, such as the astronauts annoying call to his daughter which has no basis in the plot (I've thought about tackling 2001 in an edit, but I assume the backlash would be horrible.) The 2nd half of 2001 is flawless, and I usually just watch the film from the intermission forwards.

Dr. Strangelove on the other hand is a timeless classic, I love every scene of that film. The jokes work wonderfully, Sellers is fantastic, and the film's subject matter is wonderfully dark.

Paths of Glory is a close 3rd. Mostly for it's punch to the gut ending.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kubrick's "Lost" Film Coming to Blu-ray.

Not sure how I really feel about this. On the one hand it's great that his first film is getting legally released and people don't have to rely on bootlegs to see it. On the other hand, I never watched that film simply because I knew Kubrick didn't want people to watch it, so I don't know if I'll watch it or not (even though I'll definitely buy it no question).

Big props to Library of Congress though for restoring it.

DominicCobb

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah it's nothing too great. I've saw it on TCM a few months ago. I would say watch it, just to see where Kubrick began.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Interview with Camera Operator on The Shining:

“At the time we started shooting, we had been told we could do anything we wanted,” Blyth recounts...

Due to Blyth's impaired sight lines, the camera operator concludes Kubrick “just liked those particular shots and didn't worry about the shadows."

My reaction: Awesome. I've read so many bullshit theories about this movie and the helicopter shadow theories really annoy me. I mean look, I know Kubrick was a perfectionist and all, but I see those shadows and think "The answer is simple. Kubrick said fuck it."

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Interview with Camera Operator on The Shining:

My reaction: Awesome. I've read so many bullshit theories about this movie and the helicopter shadow theories really annoy me. I mean look, I know Kubrick was a perfectionist and all, but I see those shadows and think "The answer is simple. Kubrick said fuck it."

What are these helicopter shadow theories, never heard of that before. The real question is, was there extra unused aerial shots of the Torrance family driving to the Overlook, and if so were these used in Blade Runner?

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
The real question is, was there extra unused aerial shots of the Torrance family driving to the Overlook, and if so were these used in Blade Runner?

That was all models and wires, filmed with multiple light sources wich explains any of the shadow theories, whatever they are. So clearly that footage is fake.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gatos said:
The real question is, was there extra unused aerial shots of the Torrance family driving to the Overlook, and if so were these used in Blade Runner?

Yup.

Gatos said:
What are these helicopter shadow theories, never heard of that before.

Question 1 of the FAQ. http://www.visual-memory.co.uk/faq/#n1s1

Rob Ager brings it up briefly here, start at 6:30. He mainly talks about continuity errors in Kubrick movies being clues and shit for the bigger messages.

Now remember, I'm not saying that all Kubrick's errors were deliberate. The famous helicopter shadow at the start of The Shining is an example of what I consider to be a real error. I'm saying that some continuty mismatches in Kubrick's work are deliberate clues to the true meanings of his films; the meanings that he refused to discuss in interviews.

And this fool gets real deep into the movie:

http://www.idyllopuspress.com/meanwhile/15414/the-shining-analysis-table-of-contents/

As the camera follows the VW up the road to the vanishing point at the film’s beginning is the famous revealing of the helicopter’s shadow on the lower right side of the mountain. The road on which the VW is traveling is also famous and called “Going to the Sun”. Helius is the latinized version of the Greek word for sun, helios. So that is a bit of fun, that we don’t know the name of the road is “Going to the Sun”, but we have, in the helicopter, a reference to the sun. Or so I had ignorantly thought. Looking it up I instead find that helicopter comes from the Greek helix, meaning spiral, and pteron, meaning wing. Without getting into all the etymology, pteron is akin to petition, a supplication or prayer, based on the idea of seeking, to rush or fly, and wing, feather. So it happens that one finds in a petition or prayer an early connection with birds and winged thought.

But, if in helix we find spirals, so too in the sun, helios, we have cycles as well, the yearly revolution of the earth about it, and the evolution of the seasons as a spiritual metaphor for life.

And I don't remember where, somewhere I read some fool saying it was Kubrick inserting himself into the movie, ala a Hitchcock cameo. And some other dude talked about it being the eye of God and shit.

plurmonger

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm just going to leave this here...

gw04k9U7dlkaA[/video]

...not my work.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmm...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61262

Last time Spielberg got involved with a Kubrick project, it created a film that I really love in AI, although understand why others hate it. These days TV shows are quite incredible and prove that they can compete with Movies, so maybe this will be amazing??

Hope so

Top Bottom