• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

If there were a Star Wars Sequel Trilogy...

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If a Sequel Trilogy were made for Star Wars based on one of the novels or comics, which one would you all like to see?

The Thrawn Trilogy: Most fans consider this trilogy to be THE 7th, 8th, and 9th stories of the Star Wars Saga. While building up the New Republic, Luke, Leia, and Han have to deal with the remnants of the Galactic Empire, lead under Grand Admiral Thrawn, a villain who learns everything he knows to defeat his enemies just by studying their artwork. This series also introduces the character of Mara Jade, who eventually becomes Luke Skywalker's wife, though not in this series, as here she's still sore over Palpatine's death, since she was his top assassin.

New Jedi Order: This isn't a trilogy, but it is an important part in the history of the Expanded Universe. After Luke, Mara Jade, and Han and Leia have had children who grow into powerful Jedi, with Luke as leader of the New Jedi Order, a group of enemies known as the Yuuzhan Vong arrive, who eventually present themselves as a greater threat than Palpatine's Empire. Speaking of which, at one point the characters actually wonder if Palpatine was actually right in creating the Death Star, as it was the only weapon powerful enough to fight off the Vong.

star Wars Legacy: 133 after ROTJ, Darth Krayt has dealt away with The Rule of Two, instead replacing it with The Rule of One, meaning that there is only the Order of the Sith, ruling over the Galaxy. Somwhere in the galaxy is a former Jedi named Cade Skywalker, who has abandoned the order and becomes a space pirate, wanting nothing to do with the the Skywalker legacy, going so far as using death sticks to dull his connection to the force.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thrawn would be the only thing to work for me but it would still appear like an afterthought

NJO was too long, I managed to read 9 of the 25 books but this was finally the moment when i realized I should stop reading star wars books

and star Wars Legacy just makes the entire story of 1-6 kinda pointless if there is again a big ruler/emperor

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
To be honest I dont know if a sequel containing the ot characters would work, in my opinion it could never and would never live up to expectations. If it were up to me I would do more prequels but go right back to the "Old republic" stuff, the online trailers of the game were amazing and I reckon it would work done as cg but done as the cinematic trailor was, not Clone Wars stylee!

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry I didnt want to be negative about the possibilty, I'd love to see a sequel trilogy, and I would pay to see it, and I'd buy the blu rays and watch it in 3d, coz Its Star Wars!

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't be afraid to bring in your own ideas as to what you'd all want to see turn into something on the big screen. As for me, I'd actually try and mix aspects of Thrawn with NJO. First part is trying to take down Thrawn and succeding, second part the Vong come and utterly decimate the New Republic, and third part is when the New Republic must accept Thrawn's help in defeating the Vong while at the same time finding a way to get rid of Thrawn for good.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
First, allow me to pimp the excellent Cracked article 5 Reasons Star Wars Sequels Would Be Worse Than The Prequels. Much wisdom, it has.

Second, I bow in my love of the Thrawn trilogy to no one. In my SW fan canon, there's the OT, Shadows of the Empire, the Thrawn trilogy and that's it. I don't even let the Hand of Thrawn duology in. That said, they simply wouldn't work as movies. There's too little character development for too many characters, and too much plot. They'd have to be 5-6 hour miniseries each... and no, they couldn't do well animated a la Clone Wars. Those CG models might be good enough for the show, but they wouldn't be able to do Zahn's writing justice; no way, no how.

Nic Sticinski said:
Speaking of which, at one point the characters actually wonder if Palpatine was actually right in creating the Death Star, as it was the only weapon powerful enough to fight off the Vong.
This idea, to me, is the death of Star Wars, even worse than anything in the PT which I wholly reject. I don't like the idea of the Vong either. The Clone Wars and Civil Wars are quite enough conflict for that galaxy in one century.

To me, the end of The Last Command should be the end of the major fighting parts of Han, Leia and Luke's lives. Not that they couldn't be involved in some minor skirmishes here and there, but they've been through enough hell; I don't want Mara killed, one of the Solo children turning to the Dark Side, or any shit like that. I'm not totally opposed to expanding the SW universe in minor ways, but let the Big Three retire happily, IMHO.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
right now the EU is getting ridiculous with the whole jacen evil story etc.

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
NJO was too long, I managed to read 9 of the 25 books but this was finally the moment when i realized I should stop reading star wars books

right now the EU is getting ridiculous with the whole jacen evil story etc.

And this is why I don't BUY Star Wars stories. Also, I'm not saying a Sequel Trilogy would be the best logical step for appealing to the mainstream audience, that's what the Live Action series is for. I'm just wondering what a good idea for a movie series. For me, the Skywalker family is the heart of Star Wars, with all of the galactic wars and such serving as backdrop to that story. However, when looking at the movies so far, the story they create is pretty air tight, with little to no wiggle room for anymore movies. That being said, the best thing I can think of for who the protagonist for another movie would be someone like Cade Skywalker, a guy who's not good or evil, just wants to be left alone, but is ultimately needed to save everything. But really, you'd have to try REALLY hard to find something to connect with the Skywalker story.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this might sound drastic, but why not reboot star wars?

not in the regular terms, just take the rules that have been established, take whatever style and design you want and make a new trilogy about the struggle between light and dark

KOTOR (imho the best star wars story out there) did practically the same thing, masking as a prequel 4000 years ago, but really, why not skip the pretense of trying to fit it into the same universe? make whatever makes a good story and if it sucks,.... well it's not even part of the star wars saga, so it can't "ruin" anything ;)

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The day there is a reboot of the Star Wars universe in the traditional sense (prequels included) is the day my inner child will officially be dead.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ah come on, why?
the awesomeness of the originals will remain
just look at star trek, it's probably the best thing that ever happened to the franchise since first contact

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just feel like a reboot is going to turn me into one of those guys ragging on the reboot talking about how good the old days were, and trust me, I don't want to go through that when I'm just finishing my first year of college. As for Star Trek, it probably did so well because, as Red Letter Media said, it felt more like a Star Wars movie than it did a Star Trek movie. I'm not saying the reboot was bad, I'm just saying it might not have lived up to Trek fan standards.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, Star Trek had paved the conceptual grounds for the alternate reality (which isn't a reboot in the strictest sense) since the separate dimensions of TNG's "Parallels", or, more vaguely, since TOS' "Mirror, Mirror", and all the other time travel stories before and between. There is no such foundation in the Star Wars series.

There are lots of interesting stories that can be told about Jedi, bounty hunters, etc., and other pockets of the galaxy. Not every story needs to determine the fate of millions, change the history of entire planets, etc. If I were to expand my fan canon at all, it'd be in the Han Solo Chronicles direction.

lpd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was talking about a reeboot/remake of Star Wars after seeing the Star Trek one and I reckon it would be a good thing. If you think about it the Star Trek reboot was made by a fan, a Star Wars fan at that, so imagine what a fan could do for Star Wars, and if you think about it, what are most of us trying to do on this site if not try to improve on what has already been made. Same as a reboot really.

Hymie

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I wouldn't necessarily put it in terms of reboot, I don't see why more movies can't be made entirely on new materials and characters. Set it a hundred-500 years after ROTJ and go from there. No need to follow any of the books, because honestly most people I know who are Star Wars fans have never read any of them. They are great for people that like continuing stories, but they shouldn't hinder any filmmaking (whether future or past).

I agree with Lucas that the movies are cannon and that's it. For those that want to follow the books, I'm glad you enjoy them but I wouldn't want movies based off of any of them. I've read a few and honestly I'd much rather just come up with my own ideas as to what happened after Jedi rather than basing it on others fan fiction, which I believe that it is nothing more than.

If any movies are made in the future, and I'm sure they will be, they should be set in the universe using the accepted facts and weapons and history, but be their own stories. As they are, Star Wars is all about the Skywalkers and there story, but for a time Star Trek was only about Kirk and Spock and crew and look at it now. There's always room to grow and if talented people can make entertaining stories that honor the originals and treat them with respect, then why not.

Redstar

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Which is the one with the Palpatine clones and Dark Side Luke?

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I wouldn't necessarily put it in terms of reboot, I don't see why more movies can't be made entirely on new materials and characters.
Amen. F**k reboots. Star Trek was good just because the originals were just so extremely old and because it has a wildly complex canon (unlike Star Wars, which has novelizations and comics and whatnot, but few audiovisual true canonical pieces of work) - not to mention that it was primarily a tv series back then. Also, the originals weren't primarily adventure flicks, but had a slightly more intellectual outlook, making them better candidates for rebooting.

But I'd go further: F**k existing "franchises" entirely. If people had wanted endless reboots and prequels back in the 70s, there would be no Star Wars but instead a (probably badly done) Flash Gordon reboot. Ditto Indiana Jones. And probably Alien as well. The beauty is in the reimagining of known tropes, not known characters and stories. Now Hollywood is rebooting characters that were rehashes to begin with, like Jonah Hex. Who needs it? Write a new damn script with new characters, you lazy hacks.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ So, how many franchise movie tickets have you bought in the last, say, three years? Be honest. ;)

a_3_Headed_Monkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How about remaking 'Ewoks take Manhattan', 'Ewoks Treasure Island' and 'The Ewok's Wizard of Oz'?

or

an Ewok Matrix Trilogy

or

Ewoks Vs Predator & Alien/Ewoks vs Freddy & Jason/Ewoks vs Gremlins

.....but now I'm getting carried away....

Top Bottom