• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

David Lynch's Empire of the Mind

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
original film name: Inland Empire
new film name: The Empire of the Mind
Extra: More things that happened, Rabbits
Film Original Runtime: 179 minutes
New Runtime : 263 minutes
Number of episodes: 4
Name of the episodes: 1) Hollywood´s Dreams (57min:09sec.) 2) Memories of Time (58min:51sec.) 3) The Phantom (1H:12m:07s) 4) Writerheads (1H:14m:46s.)
Subtitles: yes (english)
Faneditor Name: Reddinox
Fanedit Type: True Fanedit

Edit Details:

I will edit the entire film and the extra material (plus some sequences from the David lynch short Rabbits) as a tv show, as a "new" Twin peaks.
I will cut the movie as it was a journey into the unconscious of the "LOST GIRL", making so more explicit what was the original intention of Lynch.

Plot
The story is entirely a figment of the Polish prostitute (LOST GIRL) who removed the trauma of an abortion and is held prisoner by the guilt of a homicide which she feels responsible (the wife of her lover). A sinking, a descent into hell (apparently) inevitable.

Cuts removed/added/extended:
I didn't take note of it, but in general the movie is completely reconstrued. Scenes apparently nonsense in the original version, now are inserted in an "intellegible" context.
A massive and necessary operation, is crop up More things that happened and adjust the color at some Rabbits scenes.

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
interesting concept
Do you find interesting my interpretation of the movie, or the splitting it in episodes? (actually the opposite of what just made thunderclap with Twin peaks)initially i thought to make a "clear" cut, only 2h long and all in a chronological way( where is possible).
But then i understood that this was a pity, there is no crap in Inland Empire that i wanted put away, and "More things that happened" is even cool. But even make only an Extended version was meaningless. So the idea of recut everything came to me. I am sure that there is a fil rouge in the movie, and i will make it explicit...;-)
So, i thing i will create a title of each episode, as it was a real TV-show. (actually, it is, but in a weird way. But i don’t say too much, is part of my idea of what is Inland empire).

p.s. sorry for my poor English, it is not my mother tongue.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
just interpretation. Inland Empire to me seems best watched in whole viewing, that's just me.
Twin Peaks works well as episodes.
But dont let this stop or discourage you,
go for it and see how it works out.

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:

[FONT=&quot]Oh, god, i didn’t...interesting concepts. I think that i will put in the same release both versions: the Extended and the "TV-show".
But even the Extended , will be in reality a true edit, because, for example, i will answer your question " 2) I believe a great part of people's problems with Inland Empire is what I consider its only real flaw: an over-reliance on horror effects to drive the plot forward. A lot of the film shows Laura Dern's startled and/or terrified face and we expect something terrible will happen, when in fact, beyond the obviously bad stuff, very little actually happens when Dern looks terrified. This is fine on first viewing (the first third of Lost Highway had a similar dynamic), but on the third viewing, despite Dern's amazing performance, it's borderline boring once you actually know that her terrified stare doesn't really go anywhere." i know what do here, and is non-simply cutting in More Things That Happened. Speaking about his quality, no HD version, i don’t care so much.
Is Lynch self that says:

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the early days, the emulsion wasn't so good, so there was less information on the screen. The Sony PD result is a bit like that; it's nowhere near high-def. And sometimes, in a frame, if there's some question about what you're seeing, or some dark corner, the mind can go dreaming. If everything is crystal clear in that frame, that's what it is - that's all it is.

:)[/FONT]

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Meanwhile, the project is bigger now. I will use scenes from "Rabbits" as well.

But i need help. It seems that " there is an Easter Egg on the R1 IE DVD. It's on disc 1. If you're playing the disc on a computer, navigate to the Languages and Sound menu and hover the mouse over the bright blast emanating from the gun and you'll see a rabbit symbol. Click on that"
"It's another scene from the Monologue, lasting about 2 and half minutes. Here she tells a story of a one-legged young girl who violently escapes a juvenile detention facility. As usual, an impressive and nuanced performance from Dern."

Can somebody help me about that? i have the european version, and i dont want buy a new one.. Can somebody check if is a good one?

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmm... I have the R1 version, but I'm moving these days and my DVDs are in crates right now, so I doubt I'll have time before, well, early May. Sorry.

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
Hmmm... I have the R1 version, but I'm moving these days and my DVDs are in crates right now, so I doubt I'll have time before, well, early May. Sorry.

thanks, i solved the problem now

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i have finished a rough version of it.
4 episodes: 1) Hollywood´s dreams, 2) memories of time, 3) The phantom, 4) Writerheads.
Overall is 4 hours 14 minutes.
But i wonder if i am doing right. The duration of each episode is not the same, and this doesnt look so professional i think.
But anyway, I will screen it to my friends, make the last corrections and upload it.

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
sounds interesting, might be new for me since i havent seen the original since it came out

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm completing the subtitles, for the rest i have only to convert in dvd, make the cover and upload it....

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
no way to render 4h 15m in a single dvd :-(
The movie was shooted in SD, and i cant really do it. To bad quality.
So i upload it in 2 Dvd, the first is double layer and the second single.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You did it! (My timetable is completely packed in the evenings, but I'll try to make time soon.)

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This fanedit is finished, and available on the unapproved section​

ReddinoX

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
artj.jpg

original film name: Inland Empire
new film name: The Empire of Mind
Extra: More things that happened, Rabbits
Film Original Runtime: 179 minutes (plus 74 minutes plus 40 minutes, total 293 minutes)
New Runtime : 253 minutes
Number of episodes: 4
Name of the episodes: 1) Hollywood´s dreams, 2) memories of time, 3) The phantom, 4) Writerheads.
Subtitles: yes (english)
Faneditor Name: Reddinox
Fanedit Type: True Fanedit

Edit Details:

I edited the entire film and the extra material (plus some sequences from the David lynch short Rabbits) as a tv show, as a "new" Twin peaks.
I did the cut as the movie was a dream of the "LOST GIRL", making so more explicit what was the original intention of lynch.

Plot
The story is entirely a figment of the Polish prostitute (LOST GIRL) who removed the trauma of an abortion and is held prisoner by the guilt of a homicide which she feels responsible (the wife of her lover). A sinking, a descent into hell (apparently) inevitable.

Cuts removed/added/extended:
I didn't take note of it, but in general the movie is completely reconstrued. Scenes apparently nonsense in the original version, now are inserted in an "intellegible" context.
A massive and necessary operation, was crop More things that happened and adjust the color at some Rabbits scenes.

Programs used:
Sony vegas 10
MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5
Subtitle workshop 2.51
DvdFab 8
artj.jpg

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will definitely be checking this out!