• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Terry Pratchett's The Watch

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A series based around The Watch is going into production, here's a short video of them discussing it. Oh and Yay!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for this, nOm! Terry Pratchett's my favorite author, and the Watch novels are my favorite sub-series of Discworld.

I know Pratchett wanted the late Pete Postlethwaite to be Vimes, but I've always pictured Alun Armstrong. Especially since it sounds like they're starting after all the novels (thus far), I think he could really work:

11207549_gal.jpg

The real question for me is who could possibly play Nobby. I'd really like someone who's naturally quite unusual-looking, like a Marty Feldman type. The only one I can think of, though he's a bit tall, is Mackenzie Crook.

Not sure either is available, of course, but it's fun to speculate.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Thanks for this, nOm! Terry Pratchett's my favorite author, and the Watch novels are my favorite sub-series of Discworld.

Yep pretty much here as well, although Trying to decide who's better out of Vimes or Granny Weatherwax is a seriously tough decision.

I think Mackenzie Crook could be a good choice, particularly with his gawky look. Terry really wanted Postlethwaite? My personal choice would be someone like Michael Elphick or possible Brian Blessed (turned down to about 1.5 :) )

Okay let's turn this into the who's going to play who thread :)

Vimes - Michael Elphick/Ian McNeice

Lady Sybil - Patricia Routledge

Colon - James Corden (aged about 45-50)

Carrot - A Young Sam Baldwin

Angua - Jaime Murray (but blonde obviously)

Nobby - Mackenzie Crook

Cherry - Jessica Hynes

Dorfl - Golem (CGI)

Downspout - Gargoyle (CGI)

Detritus - Troll (CGI)

Only one caveat, DAVID JASON IS NOT ALLOWED WITHIN 100M OF THE SET

The fact that they are making a series instead of a two parter is the thing I'm most excited about as Ankh Morpork is one of the best and detailed places on the DW so there's loads of scope for stuff to happen like interacting with Moist at the Mint/Post Office or something going down at the Printers or Piss Harry's or The Shades...

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm going to have to look up some of those -- guess I'm not as up on my UK stars as I ought to be.

McNeice as Vimes, though? I admit he has the presence, but isn't he the wrong physical type? I always thought of Vimes as kind of stringy and weatherbeaten -- a bit less on the stringy side as he progresses up the chain of titles, but still able to leg it in a pinch.

Never thought of Brian Blessed. I always have thought of him as Ridcully, since he wouldn't even have to tone anything down for him.

Oh, and re Postlethwaite: yep. That's why Vimes looks just like him in Where's My Cow?

0060872675_int.jpg

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've not read Where's my Cow, hence why I wasn't aware of Terry's penchant for Pete. I've always visualised Vimes as being quite large overall but definitely overweight, prob because my only reference is the cover art for the Watch books. My favourite choice is Michael Elphick though as I think he has the presence and the weather beaten look that's just right for Vimes. Pete definitely has the right amount of darkness for the character though, I can totally see him telling criminals about the Ginger Ale!

I've also changed my mind about Adam Baldwin as Carrot, maybe it's cause I'm working my through Dexter at the mo but I think if Michael C Hall could bulk up a bit (like Tom Hardy did for Bronson) he'd make a wonderful Carrot.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was the cover of Guards! Guards! I first saw, so this is in part how I always picture the core of the Watch:

Guards2.jpg

Left to right, that's Nobby, Carrot, Vimes, and Fred. It's probably also why I always thought of Alun Armstrong. I knew him originally from Krull, back when he was thinner and had hair:

541-10496.jpg

I kind of picture Sam looking more or less like this, especially when he's drunk, until he marries Lady Sibyl. Then he cleans up a bit, but only a bit, and that grudgingly to please Sibyl.

I've had the hardest time coming up with someone for Carrot, possibly you need someone who's so damned earnest all the time, but who also has more going on than he seems to. Don't know Hall well enough -- never really watched Dexter or Six Feet Under -- but interesting. I actually love the idea of Adam Baldwin -- he does the big boy scout thing well in Independence Day, and he does the (more than) slightly devious thing well as Jayne in Firefly. He's certainly got the physicality, too. But somehow, I always picture someone very, VERY British, almost parodically so, like young Hugh Laurie in Blackadder.

Oh, and I'm with you 100000% about no David Jason.

Top Bottom