• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Northwest Passage: A Twin Peaks Fanedit

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
npcover.jpg

Original Name: Twin Peaks
Fanedit Name:
Northwest Passage: A Twin Peaks Fanedit
Original Run Time: Approx. 980 min.
Fanedit Run Time: Approx. 300 min.
Amount of Time Cut/Added: Approx. 680 min.
Original Studio Name: Paramount Television / CBS Studios

Tagline: The series that redefined American television is re-imagined as a feature film.

Intention: The idea for this fanedit came about while talking with boon in chat one day. The conversation started innocently enough: what films should remain untouchable to faneditors? I mentioned I had great admiration for David Lynch and I couldn’t see anyone touching his work. boon challenged me, asking about "Twin Peaks", a show that started off strongly but lost its way in season 2. That gave me pause: I am a huge fan of "Twin Peaks" and have owned several versions of its release, but season two has always been a sore spot for me. After the Laura Palmer mystery was solved the show became much more a soap opera and became less compelling. That is, of course, until the last two episodes.

After that conversation the idea stuck with me (thanks boon), and so I started plotting how I would do a fanedit of one of America’s greatest television shows. Because there was so much material to work with, and so many storylines, I felt it needed to focus just on Laura’s murder and all other stories need to be reduced or eliminated.

By doing this many characters are either never introduced or have limited screen time. This may anger some fans, but in creating a “feature film” (or extended feature film, I suppose) sacrifices had to be made. But that’s why we still have the original source material to go back; to revisit a town like Twin Peaks uncensored, as originally intended by the creators.

Cuts / Additions: There is no way to list everything that was cut. Simply, if there was a sub-plot that wasn't needed for the Laura Palmer story it was axed. I'm sure for the purist this is blasphemy, but I urge those people to use their imagination and pretend "Twin Peaks" the series never existed. Virtually all scenes with Catherine Martell, Audrey Horne, Shelly Johnson, and Josie Packard have been removed. Other characters are never introduced. The scene where the killer is revealed has been tweaked extending the mystery until the end. Some footage from the final "Twin Peaks" episode has been incorporated.

Specs: Three versions are available. A 720p HD release in AVCHD format (two DVD-DL discs), a SD release on DVD (two DVD-R discs), and 720p MOV file (h.264 Apple TV friendly version).

Corrections: theslime caught a spelling error in the opening credits. The producer is listed as GREGG FLENBERG. It should be GREGG FIENBERG. My apologies.

Availability:
Northwest Passage will be made available the first week of April.

[align=center]Trailer

First 10 Minutes
[/align]

^^Couldn't agree more emphatic! That was really good thunderclap. The trailer is of course still fantastic. Can't wait to see this. :)

Nitpickery: in the credits it says Gregg Flenberg - it's actually Fienberg with an i.

I'm looking forward to this.

theslime said:
Nitpickery: in the credits it says Gregg Flenberg - it's actually Fienberg with an i.

:-( Oops. Two spelling errors. There is one in the end credits too.

EDIT: On a side note, I've had the first ten minutes up for almost a month and no one caught it. :p

Hehe. That's because I'm the biggest Twin Peaks geek there is, and I didn't watch it until now. (I'm serious, I'm almost embarrassed by the amount of time I've spent on the TP Gazette and Dugpa boards.)

I like the font you've used for the credits. It's very close to the FWwM one, and has the same feel (which I assume is intentional). I was wondering, though... What's your criteria for including writer/producer/director names? Obviously you have lots of scenes not directed by Lynch and several written by Peyton and Engels. Also, why did you vow not to include any FWwM scenes in the edit?

theslime said:
I like the font you've used for the credits. It's very close to the FWwM one, and has the same feel (which I assume is intentional). I was wondering, though... What's your criteria for including writer/producer/director names? Obviously you have lots of scenes not directed by Lynch and several written by Peyton and Engels. Also, why did you vow not to include any FWwM scenes in the edit?

You are correct: I was trying to go for a Fire Walk With Me vibe with the credits.

As for my criteria, I wanted this to feel like a David Lynch film. Having all the directors and writers and everyone in the opening credits would first look bad, and second it would have extended the opening credits run time. Since David Lynch and Mark Frost created the show I gave them writing credit and David Lynch directing credit. As for Gregg Fienberg as producer, he is credited on IMDB for virtually all of the shows (with the exception of the pilot).

Everyone is given proper credit in the end credits.

very very very very very excited for this one. leo needs a new pair of shoes!

thunderclap said:
You are correct: I was trying to go for a Fire Walk With Me vibe with the credits.

As for my criteria, I wanted this to feel like a David Lynch film. Having all the directors and writers and everyone in the opening credits would first look bad, and second it would have extended the opening credits run time. Since David Lynch and Mark Frost created the show I gave them writing credit and David Lynch directing credit. As for Gregg Fienberg as producer, he is credited on IMDB for virtually all of the shows (with the exception of the pilot).

Everyone is given proper credit in the end credits.
Gotcha. Sounds good. Since Frost wrote the vast majority of the show (excluding mainly the bad bits), having him as sole co-writer is right. From all accounts, he story-edited everything apart from the episode 17-23 stretch. Which is mostly awful anyway.

Not to be a dick and show-off here, but this edit is tremendous. I've been very lucky to see early versions and I had a hard time focusing on if there were any technical hiccups because Thunderclap has melded together a narrative that from an outsider's perspective is about as seamless as you can hope given the scope of this project.

I've never seen the original show, but in anticipation I had ordered it when Thunder asked me to preview it. Not knowing anything about the original my wife and I had the pleasure of watching this with completely fresh eyes, and it WORKS. We were riveted the entire time, and rarely could we ever even suspect something was missing. In talking about it excitedly with a coworker, he asked me about characters that simply never appeared, and I could never tell anyone was missing, and all the while the narrative is strong and focused.

I'm dying to get my hands on the final version. I was never sold on Lynch before despite enjoying a few of his movies. Once we watch the final edit we should have our copies and begin watching the entire sordid affair and see what was carved out.

As Agent Cooper might say, That's a damn fine edit.

Drooling for the release of this :-D I finished the series and Fire recently, and Im not ready to leave Twin Peaks! And this edit is the perfect "shortcut" back to town.;-) Can't wait.

Henry Joseph Smith III said:
How did you even get it to look this good? the dvds dont look this good! haha

Using the high res versions available at iTunes.

This is definitely the fanedit I'm anticipating the most at present. I've been playing deadly premonition as of late which has really helped set the mood.

As Agent Cooper might say, That's a damn fine edit.

And I would wholeheartedly agree.

This is one of those series that I never watched on original release (my friends did, I was too busy watching Red Dwarf!). Then I saw Fire Walk With Me, watched the first season and for some reason stopped. I still have the crappy Spanish release DVD's on the bottle shelf, waiting, waiting.....

So when this came along - a sure fire way to get the gist of the whole thing...and I was not disappointed. I did it over two evenings and the narrative works wonderfully. Didn't miss a thing - seemless. I think because I've edited and know some of the tricks employed to blend scenes that have score, I could just about tell a few scenes that might not originally have gone together - but your average Joe definitely wouldn't. Oh, that and Donna's hair seems to suddenly get longer! But this is great! Got the whole story there in 5 hours! Didn't get bored once and I thought I might with 5 hours of it, but nope.

I'm going to give this the full 10/10. Great work TC/Q2.

white43 said:
I still have the crappy Spanish release DVD's on the bottle shelf, waiting, waiting.....
OMG! Kill those with fire! They were shameful, looked worse than a worn-out VHS. Thankfully they have long gone out of print, replaced by the proper Paramount box sets.

Back
Top Bottom