• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Spence's Fanediting Basics Video Tutorial for Womble

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Using ADM's guide as a basis along with lots of other info I have gathered since I started fanediting, this is a video tutorial for the basics of editing. It'll cover everything from gathering your sources to making your cuts. It covers Womble Mpeg Video Wizard, with a Sony Vegas version in-the-works. This will also be fetured in better quality on the DVD of Return of the Jedi - The Spence Final Cut.

If this is popular and useful, I'll make some more about DVD Authoring, making MU/RS links, more advanced editing, etc.

I'm interested in the uploading thing because I can never remember how to take a completed edit and rar it for uploading :oops:

Yeah, that would be a useful one. I've barely got that down myself. Any other ideas people would like to see as video tutorials? I was gonna do one about removing interlace and things like that.

This is a great idea, spence. It's sure to answer many questions. ADM's guide is great, but parts of it are a little out of date.

video added to first post

Hey, now i finally know what that workarea selection is for :lol:

I think youtube may have messed up the sound, it seemed a bit garbled?

And is the footage you imported all black? all's i could see in the output window was black.

Other than that, RIGHT ON!!! :thumb:

Shit. No, not garbled, nor all black. why the hell would that happen? I'll try and fix it later.

I swear, computers really do hate me. When Skynet finally takes over, I'll be the first one with a goddamn Arnold on my doorstep.

But... How would the output display be all black? That's like the weirdest... thing... i... What the hell? lol, that's just plain baffling.

I've had enough of youtube. Everytime I upload anything there's a problem. I think I'll just put all of my clips on MU from now on.

Video is working just fine for me. Maybe it just hadn't finished uploading properly at the time?

It does seem to be fine now, I just checked it on my phone. So this is good to go for anybody interested. I'll probably do a Vegas one next week, with DVD Architect and WinRAR to follow.

Hey Spence.
Thanks for the tutorial its really appreciated.
Just starting to have a go at editing, used "Movie Maker" at first attempt, thought I really had it going on it looked good in movie maker , then when I finished I rendered it to watch on a dvd ,as you said, it ended up looking like crap! Waiting for your Vegas tutorial as I do want to use wipes and stuff and have a copy but need help wtih all aspects.
Thanks again.

Yeah, movie maker does that. I would say that while you wait for the Vegas tutorial, which will be a couple of weeks, go ahead and get the trials for Womble AND Vegas and just start playing. You'll figure a lot of it out yourself, and then I can kind of clear it up for you. What movie are you editing?

I'm gonna gave a go at TPM! I know! Everyone seems to have a go but its the was the first fanedit I saw and was amazed at how different a movie can feel with a bit of jiggery pokery! I dont hate it I just dont love it. Its like the relative you dont contact that much, even though you know you should. I've watched a lot of them and found lots of idea's I like and still a lot I reckon I could try and improve upon. Been having a play with vegas but not really delved into yet. Only got a very basic laptop to be honest so it can take ages for anything to happen. Loaded Adywans AVCHD of tpm into vegas last night and its so jittery cant stand to use it. Any newbie tips?

nice little video spence. The only thing that was a bit off was that your video preview in womble was all black on the tutorial video. It seems that your capture software didn't actually capture it. would be good to get that sorted out for future videos.

huh, I didn't notice that. I'll figure that out for the next one.

lpd said:
I'm gonna gave a go at TPM! I know! Everyone seems to have a go but its the was the first fanedit I saw and was amazed at how different a movie can feel with a bit of jiggery pokery! I dont hate it I just dont love it. Its like the relative you dont contact that much, even though you know you should. I've watched a lot of them and found lots of idea's I like and still a lot I reckon I could try and improve upon. Been having a play with vegas but not really delved into yet. Only got a very basic laptop to be honest so it can take ages for anything to happen. Loaded Adywans AVCHD of tpm into vegas last night and its so jittery cant stand to use it. Any newbie tips?

Convert it to DVD sized Lagarith Lossless AVI. I'm going to cover that in my video, but boon's guide to Vegas has it in there already. That's kind of a general rule for Vegas: Lagarith AVI always works better.

And I say DVD sized because if you're not running powerful hardware, you're going to have a hard time with a HD video no matter what format. You might be better off snagging his DVD version and converting that to Lagarith.

ThrowgnCpr said:
nice little video spence. The only thing that was a bit off was that your video preview in womble was all black on the tutorial video. It seems that your capture software didn't actually capture it. would be good to get that sorted out for future videos.
I should have mentioned that I noticed this too.

I'm not too worried about it. Womble is easy enough. I'll make sure it works for Vegas when I do the next one.

Thanks Spence. Will have another go tonight.

Back
Top Bottom