• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Little Shop Of Horrors : Grindhouse Edition (1987/2011)

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
LSOHpreview2.jpg

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS, GRINDHOUSE EDITION by Dr. Sapirstein
IMDB : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091419/
Type of edit : Special Edition / Fan-edit
Film studio name : WB / Geffen
Edit crew name : Dr. Sapirstein
Original release date : December 1986
Fan edit release date : February 2011
Original run time : 94'
New run time : 102'49

This grindhouse edition presents this Frank Oz musical with its infamous original 25 minutes deleted ending reinserted into the film (featuring the death of Audrey 1; the lost musical number "Don't Feed The Plants"; and the destruction of New York by the carnivorous, mean green mothers from outer-space), and brings to this 1986 remake a black and white, "grindhouse" look, similar to that of an old print of the original 1960 Roger Corman classic.

The soundtrack from the Varese CD.

- VIDEO: B&W / 2pass VBR 5400kpbs
- AUDIO: Dolby Digital 2.0 448kbps (English)
- MENUS: Simple intro menu
- SUBTITLES: No
- DVD EXTRAS: No

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A2KWTP8V

Available on .info and the other usual sites.

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Rogue :)

PS - I didn't start the other thread though, not sure why it was created but....

Hubunkey

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is this available yet? I am really looking forward to it

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's up on .info now.

Closet_Rat

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is (sadly) my favorite movie of all time, I have it on DVD, VHS, cd & cassette.
I signed up for this forum, after lurking for sometime, just to review this edit...

Thank you so much for restoring the director's vision - wish there was some way to have done this without washing the whole film of it's color, but it works nicely as a grind house edit. That being said, I do wish you could have cleaned up the end sequence's effects somewhat (erased wires, added backgrounds, or removed puppetry mechanics...).

Still, thank you so much for doing this edit, it's nice to have an idea of the director's original cut finally brought to one solid movie.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Closet_Rat said:
This is (sadly) my favorite movie of all time
Sadly? Having Justin Bieber's movie as one's favorite is sad. Little Shop is great!

Closet_Rat

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks - I just meant my fandom was a little out of control - I'm even hunting for a decently priced LP and LD of the movie...

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was, of course, a matter of time before someone attempted this one, that is, putting back what's arguably the most famous deleted ending in film history. And, given that said ending has only been seen in an unfinished, 4:3, black and white version, the only possible way to reinsert it is what Dr. Sapirstein has done: downgrading the rest of the movie to match that workprint visually. And the result is convincing enough, even if it still looks a tiny little bit too polished in comparison to the ending, which has softer contrast and more intense, uglier whites. However, it's nothing obvious and the visuals are uniform enough.

As for the ending itself, I'm ambivalent: I prefer it to the Hollywood conclusion that got released, but I still think it tries too hard to be big and loud and spectacular, for a story which until that moment had kept itself in a small scale and worked wonderfully at that. The boom-bang coda, while great on its own way, just feels too rollercoaster blockbuster. To me, the perfect ending would happen either when Seymour gets eaten (similar to the end of the Corman version and the Broadway play), or as a VERY reduced version of the big mayhem sequence. But this edit is not about that, anyway... I also wish James Belushi's credit had been removed and Paul Dooley's put back, yet that's nitpicking.

All in all, while this version won't replace my copy of the original, it's a very welcome alternate that I'm glad I'm able to watch. Video and audio quality are great on the DVD. No extras, though... Having the Corman movie (since it's on the public domain) as an easter egg, Tranzor style, would have been fun. Overall, I'm feeding this one a 9/10.

dr.sapirstein

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review man, very cool. Good points you've raised too: I totally should have replaced the Belushi credit (how could i have overlooked this? damn it). I did think of adding the Corman film as a bonus but I thought that, given it isn't on public domain in every country, it might have made this FE unwelcome here actually (?)

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You're welcome! I sincerely doubt the Corman film is protected by copyright laws in any country. I can assure you that in Spain there are about as many dime DVDs of dreadful prints of it out there as in the USA.

prissypants

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Me and my flatmate Maureen are huge fans of this film and really, we loved this fan-edit for so many reasons, most of which have already been touched on. I don't really see how anyone could expect the Doctor to have removed puppetry wires and mechanics (!) - this is after all, a fan-edit, not a re-filmed Director's Cut!

But to see this film re-edited so slickly with corrected ending was wonderful - in fact, Maureen laughed until milk came out of her nose! But then again she'll laugh at anything. Thank goodness.

Thank you so much Doc!!

Top Bottom