• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

.MKV + Sony Vegas

crzchris4

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is the wierdest thing... I can import the .mkv file into Windows Live Movie Maker but the video file won't load up in Sony Vegas 9.0 Pro. I was thinking of rendering it in Live but that would only dumb the Blu-ray quality down a few notches and I really don't want to do it. Anyone have any ideas?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Vegas only accepts windows legacy codecs. No directshow. You need to convert the MKV to an AVI file. Uncompressed or lossless codec (such as lagarith) will not "dumb it down." Stay away from windows editing software.

BTW, why may I ask are you editing MKV? If you have the Blu-ray, there is no reason to go to this container...

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Doesn't Vegas take .avi files? You can use MkvExtract and extract the video and audio files. If that don't work, you can always convert it to Xvid format (.avi). ;-)

crzchris4

Reaction score
Trophy Points
However I ripped it, it ended up as an .mkv file... don't ask what I did lol. If I get the codec, will that make it usuable in Vegas... or is converting it the only option?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yes. no, and yes but no.

I already mentioned above that he needs to use some sort of AVI file. See caveats below:

Vegas generally takes the AVI container. The codec inside the MKV is probably h264 or x264 (essentially the same thing). Vegas will probably have a problem with this. You can convert to xvid, but I do not recommend this. You will probably have dropped frames, and vegas is picky about this codec.

You are best off using a lossless codec or uncompressed AVI (remember kids, AVI and MKV are containers, NOT codecs). The video stream inside the container makes all the difference.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
crzchris4 said:
If I get the codec, will that make it usuable in Vegas... or is converting it the only option?

I eluded to this in my first post, but to be clear, it doesn't matter if the codec is on your computer. Vegas doesn't support it. You HAVE to convert it. And again, my recommendation is to convert to lagarith, not xvid.

spence

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just did this for some Mkv files related to my upcoming Force Unleashed edit, and I can confirm that it is absolutely the only way to do this in Vegas.

loesnger

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is the list of Sony Vegas supported input formats:

MOV, WMV, H.264, AA3, AAF, AIF, ASF, AU, AVC, AVI, BMP, BWF, CDA, DIG, DLX, DPX, DV, EXR, FLAC, GIF, HDP, IVC, JPEG, AVCHD, M2T, M2TS, MVC, Sony MXF (XDCAM and HDCAM SR), MP3, MP4, M4A, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video, OGG, MPO, OMA, Panasonic MXF (DVCPRO, AVC-Intra) PCA, PSD, QT, R3D, PNG, SFA, SND, TIFF, TGA, XAVC S, W64, WAV, VOX, WDP, WMA, XAVC Intra MXF

Sony Vegas doesn't support MKV as an input format so it is impossible to import MKV files into Sony Vegas directly.

To open MKV in Sony Vegas, the common method is converting MKV to Sony Vegas supported formats with Faasoft MKV to Sony Vegas Converter.

Hope it is what you are looking for.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ that is not the common method. Please to be ignoring that guy.

QuackAtomic

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use Sony Vegas for my edits, and converting is not the way to go. Just remux the videos into MP4s, and it should take them. It depends on the files inside the MKV. Files like MKVs and MP4s are "containers" for the real video and audio files, which are actually things like H264, AC3s, etc. Giving Vegas an MKV is like handing somebody a book written in a language they can read, but that has a cover in a foreign language.

I recommend using MKVExtract and MP4Box.

Top Bottom