• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Quick render in Vegas for post on Youtube?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey gang, I've finally got Vegas working and have made my first super-short clip for people to check out. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to render properly. I know it's better to use an external encoder (even with Vegas), but all I want to do is render this clip so I can post it to Youtube and let you guys see it.

I tried rendering as both an AVI and a MP4 and only one audio channel is exporting. I'm working in 5.1 and it sounds fine in the project file.

Halp? Thanks. :)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
best advice I can give you is:
work with lagarith avi
export as lagarith avi

same setting in and out.
(that's just the video)

pro: smart rendering, no quality loss.
then you can use other tools to create mp4 (megui), xvid avi (megui) or mpg (CCE or a free solution like tmpgenc).

For audio you can use vegas to create ac-3 or wav. Wav can be converted with megui.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm working with lagarith avi per your guide. I don't see a way to output as lagarith avi. The only avi choice is "video for windows." I'm using Vegas Movie Studio 9, I don't know if that means I have less choices for my output.

Having said that, at the moment I'm just looking for a way to have Vegas output the audio and video to a single file that I can put on youtube.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you have to change the options under "video for windows." There it will allow you to change the codec to lagarith.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I might need to back up, because I don't see that option. I'm using "Render to new track" under the Tools drop down menu. Is there a different/better way to output the file?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FILE -> RENDER AS...

From there, under "Save as Type:" choose "Video for Windows (*.avi)"

You will see a button on the side of that dialog that says: "Custom..."

If you click on that, it will bring up the advanced options dialog. From there you can set all the options you want. The lagarith option (if you installed the lagarith codec) will be under "Video Format:"

One thing to keep in mind if you export to lagarith with widescreen DVD settings (720x480, anamorphic). Lagarith doesnt carry the anamorphic flag, so most programs will recognize it with a pixel aspect ratio of 1:1. You just need to tell the software it is NTSC widescreen. There are usually options for this for whatever encoder or software you are using.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, that worked...but now I have a new problem. The exported .avi is missing most of the audio. I can hear what sounds like one or two tracks, but the center channel audio is definitely missing. On the audio tab I selected "stereo." I tried both 5 channel and 6 channel but I get an error because the selection is incompatible with the template or something.

Halp?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
can you share a screenshot of Vegas? There might be a few things going on (accidentally turned one track on solo, tracks muted, etc)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll do so when I have more time. Thanks.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well that was easier than I expected...

projectscreenshot.jpg

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
everything looks OK. I can't see where you have each speaker panned to, or your audio mixer. Something might be going on there. The audio peaks look really low. I can only see the range of the center channel, but oddly thats the one you say is missing. How did you add your audio files? just drop them in, and rename the track? did you set what speaker it should be panned to?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
projectscreenshot2.jpg

projectscreenshot3.jpg

I'm not sure what is happening with the peaks. You can see in the second image that I have two copies of the full movie loaded, and the peaks look fine. I'm splitting the tracks to get down to just the portion I'm working with, and somehow the peaks go away at that point.

Re panning, you can see the red-ish lines showing the panning for the two front and two rear tracks.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pro works a little different. You don't have to add a panning envelope to pan the track to a speaker, it can be handled in the track properties. However, that said, it doesn't look like panning to the correct speaker is a problem From your mixer, it looks like things are playing properly.

Have you tried rendering to an AC3 file? If that works fine, you can mux it back into the AVI.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, I exported as an AC3 and it sounds correct. At least, I can hear the center channel now. What program would you recommend to mux back into the avi?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
try this: http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/

I haven't used it in a while, but I think this should do the trick.

If you are going to convert it to some other format (for youtube or previewing), you can probably forgo muxing and just specify the AC3 file as your audio source and your AVI as the video source when you encode (or mux the AC3 into your final encode, whatever file that is)

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great success! :) I was able to encode the avi and ac3 separately and then mux 'em together. Thanks for the help Throw.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ep 1 ITW thread coming soon :)

Top Bottom