• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Man of Steel (2013)

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fair cop on Mxy, but Brainiac, Metallo, and especially Darkseid are better than almost anyone you'll find in Flash's gallery. :)

------------------

Anyway, Zod again? How 'bout a new (to the screen) villain for chrissakes?!

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why is Metallo never used for the movies? He is IMO the toughest Superman foe (if you watch the animated series, Metallo kicked Supes ass EVERYTIME and if it wasn't for Jimmy Olsen or Steel, Superman would have been killed). That's an all out brawl I would pay 16.50 to see (IMAX 3-D)!

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
don't forget wonder woman's rogue gallery :(

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
Why is Metallo never used for the movies? He is IMO the toughest Superman foe (if you watch the animated series, Metallo kicked Supes ass EVERYTIME and if it wasn't for Jimmy Olsen or Steel, Superman would have been killed). That's an all out brawl I would pay 16.50 to see (IMAX 3-D)!
A) He is, in most cases, a human who became a badass cyborg. That's fine for a comic issue or two, but too vanilla for a (primary, at least) movie villain, sorry.

B) He's got a Kryptonite heart. So, we're going with the Kryptonite thing... again. Snore.

C) He looks like a normal dude, but is super-strong. One can say the same and more for Zod, and since he's Kryptonian, Zod is inherently more interesting.

D) His name is Metallo, for Pete's sake.

Check and mate. ;)

The real question, IMO, is why they don't use Doomsday... but: Singer already kinda did the whole death of Superman in SR. Even upon my first viewing of the movie in a theater, I went, no, c'mon... you're totally kneecapping any future Doomsday stuff here, and for no good reason other than your movie is dull and needs a third-act kick... laaaaaame.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Except that Supes doesn't die in Returns. (He was only mostly dead, as Miracle Max might say.) Therefore, an actual 'Death of Superman' movie is still viable.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, but surely you get what I mean - that the emotional impact of the Death of Supermans storyline, and its most evocative moments/images - fallen Supes, Supes hospitalized, desperate revival attempts, sympathetic rallies, "Superman is Dead" headline and civic panic/grief - has all been done, and only one movie ago.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I do get what you mean, but I still disagree. A 'Death of Superman' movie would presumably dwell longer on it, show the impact of such an event on a much bigger scale, and deal with the ramifications. All we saw in Returns was a few dozen people being vaguely sad, then Supes gets better again. And the (near) death has no imagery other than the long fall. A Doomsday storyline would (again, presumably) involve Superman being beaten to death, and hopefully no stupid CPR attempts afterwards. The approach would be hugely different, in my opinion.

But like I say, I do get your point. :)

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I ain't saying they could never do it, but given that Mr. 300 loves him some big popcorn battle sequences and Supes vs. Doomsday is about as big as that saga gets, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Snyder would have liked to do that with this movie but was instead compelled by said CR scenes to dig three movies deeper for his rip-off material. Maybe we'll get the Death of Superman saga for Part II... :)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The problem with every Supes film being made so far is that they're all too grounded in reality. Even Superman 2. And I'm already convinced I will hate this movie, despite great casting. Unless the Nolans grow an imagination, the only one I can see saving this is Snyder, who - even though I hate his style - at least is unpredictable.

And I don't care if the names are goofy, the best Superman villains are the silly ones. Geoff Johns showed how you could write a Brainiac story with a contemporary feel, and Alan Moore wrote a great Mr. Mxyptlk. And I'm pretty sure we will never see a big-screen Darkseid of Apokolips because of the patented Jack Kirby silly names, even if Darkseid is the best Superman villain yet written.

Even if Brainiac seems silly, the bottle city of Kandor is probably the single best storyline the Superman mythos, and Brainiac is in the middle of that story.

PS: Am I the only one who would really like a Bizarro storyline?

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't really get the problem with 'silly names'. I mean, jeez...these are comic book movies. No matter what anyone says, all of them have silly names. :)

How is the name Batman less silly than Brainiac?

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bats = creepy; ergo, cool. Thus, Batman = cool-man.

Brain: pink, soft... not cool. Brainiac: uncool nerd.

:p

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm a big fan of the Jack Kirby's "Fourth World" stories from the 70s. They're possibly the best DC stories ever and pretty much the defining moments of DC universe mythos since they're still retelling the same basic story of Darkseid vs Metron/Orion/Superman et al when they're out to make a big multiverse-spanning epic (Final Crisis was the last one). But one thing is reading about a world called Apokolips and its ruler Darkseid, another is asking actual actors to say it out loud.

I think that's one of the reasons we will probably never see a truly good Superman film. Superman 1 was decent, 2 is slightly better, but none of them come close to what's so good about stories like All-Star Superman, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, the Fourth World stories or even old-school Brainiac fare. There's a pathos to the classic Superman stories that's hard to pin down in films, and no one has really tried (except, strangely, Bryan Singer (who tried, but failed miserably)). It's supposed to be silly, but not necessarily camp. It's full of pathos, but not really all that sentimental. It's supposed to be religious, but only implied. It's supposed to have weird, but extremely consistent character motivations. Superman should be Clark Kent as much as Kal-El. But most importantly a truly good Supes film has to be super-silly whilst believing that silliness to be the most important thing in the world.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the Nolans getting any of this. Except the pathos; they do pathos well (Alfred burning the letter was the highlight of The Dark Knight for me).

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe not the theatrical. But a hybrid cut of Donner and Lester versions (like ADM's) is better than the first film, partly because Hackman's Luthor sucks ass (not really his own fault) and partly because the real estate scheme and the time reversal are terrible plots. I prefer Zod, who was well acted and written like a villain from the comics. Also, the Smallville sequence is underwhelming at best, while I like stuff like the Niagara Falls scenes of the second film.

Anwyay, that wasn't really the point of my post.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know, but you can't control the flow of a discussion, you just gotta hold on and try to stay in the boat. ;)

It was just the thing that caught my eye, (metaphorically) that's all. It's good though, because now I have the right context for your opinions on what makes for a good Superman film. I respectfully disagree that silliness needs to be an important facet of it. But I'm also someone who enjoys almost all of the Clark scenes in Superman III, so take that as you will. ;)

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
True about the flow, I didn't mean to try to control anything. I should have put a smiley in there. :)

I guess what I'm saying is that mix of silliness and pathos is tougher than it seems. I think some of the comics get it right, but I don't think the films ever did despite Reeve - and Routh! - being very good.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theslime said:
I think that's one of the reasons we will probably never see a truly good Superman film.
Aye; I much prefer many of the better early (by which I mean S1-2) Smallvilles to the features...

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone heard the news?

Laurence Fishburne Will Play Perry White In Man Of Steel

Plus heres a first look at Cavill as Supes:

thumbnail.php

Not my most anticipated movie but its shaping up good so far...

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love the suit. Faithful in all the ways it should be. And a very regal cape. Cool.

Fishburne...meh. I can't even care enough to decide whether I care or not. :)

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I came online to post the suit, but damn, havok :)
I think the suit is goddamn freaking awesome, and I love how the first pic is already one of Superman displaying more action than most of the entire Superman Returns film.
I always had a small hope for Zack Snyder, but this is wham, bam!, expectations through the roof! :)

EDIT: Screw it, I'll post it again, 'cause my pic is bigger than yours :lol:
manofsteelsupermanbig.jpg

Top Bottom