• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Download from Youtube?

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There seems to be dozens of different types of downloaders out there for Youtube,
though after reading many reviews, most seem to work only periodically.

So can anyone recommend a Youtube downloader designed for the Mac that actually works?:)

I tried Got Tube, but all it seemed to do is freeze up my computer.
I tried MPEG Streamclip, but it only worked infrequently.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If jDownloader works on a Mac I'd say use that. I haven't used it to download from YouTube in a while but iirc as soon as you start watching a video you should get a list of the different formats/resolution that the video is available in. Just select the one you want, delete the rest, and click on Continue With All. If they don't automatically show up just highlight the url, hit copy and the different format/resolution options will pop up in jDownloader.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Something the matter with keepvid.com? :)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Something the matter with keepvid.com? :)

There's also savevid.com and youddl.com. I've had problems with keepvid and savevid though when it comes to getting it to allow me to save full length movies from YouTube's movie page. The thumbnail will show up but instead of having the film's name listed it'll just say "null" and acts like it's searching for it but never finds it. No problems with jDownloader though.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
keep-tube.com works for me on my MacBook, and there's a Firefox add-on that makes it pretty easy. It even helped me download an ad for the ADAM computer a grade-school friend of mine was in that I hadn't seen in twenty-five years! :)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Didn't realize that you could use Firefox on a Mac. I've got the VideoDownloadHelper add-on for Firefox if that's the add-on you're referring to Hebrides.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep, the Video DownloadHelper add-on for firefox is fantastic. I assume it runs fine on Firefox on a Mac.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you use Firefox just look at all the addons available. I've used several in the past and all have worked.

EDIT: Video DownloadHelper is one I've tried, as others have mentioned. :) So I'm not actually contributing anything to this conversation. Blah.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the tips.

I don't use Firefox, just Safari.

But I will try Jdownloader (not sure why that never occurred to me) and see what happens.:)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
Didn't realize that you could use Firefox on a Mac. I've got the VideoDownloadHelper add-on for Firefox if that's the add-on you're referring to Hebrides.

Nope. I have that too, but the KeepTube one is a separate add-on for Firefox. I like it because it allows you to download in a variety of formats and sizes, including MP4 and true HD when available.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I mainly just use JDownloader. Which of course (just like Firefox) works just fine on a mac.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Nope. I have that too, but the KeepTube one is a separate add-on for Firefox. I like it because it allows you to download in a variety of formats and sizes, including MP4 and true HD when available.

VideoDownloadHelper also allows you to download in .flv and .mp4 as well as HD, up to 1080, when available.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
VideoDownloadHelper also allows you to download in .flv and .mp4 as well as HD, up to 1080, when available.

True, but I've found that some of the files I try to download with VideoDownloadHelper won't play properly on my Mac, where they do if I use KeepTube. I'm not sure why.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I too use Jdownloader, then delete the formats I don't want (which is basically any that arent the 720p mp4 file) :)
I dont think my WD player likes flv anyway.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another vote of confidence for Jdownloader. Any time I copy a youtube link, up JD pops with options. Such a handy-dandy program.

scrapesky

Reaction score
Trophy Points
if you are still in need of a youtube downloader to snag videos or the .mp3 files form the vids try using iTubeX. i have been using it for quite some time now and has not let me down yet. you get to choose which format like 720p,480,etc,etc. sometimes the video clips you will snag will be in .flv format, just download FLVCrunch. it too has the option of choosing multiple video formats. hope this helps if you still need it.

Top Bottom