• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Total Recall Remake

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Colin Farrell is to star in a remake of 'Total Recall', it has been confirmed.

The Irish actor will reprise Arnold Schwarzenegger's lead role in the 1990 classic.

Farrell is currently putting himself through a gruelling training regime in a bid to get in shape for the action hero part of Douglas Quaid.

He said, "I’m curious every time I go to work and I’m curious to go to work on 'Total Recall'.

"Script is cool. Script is smart. It’s clever and it’s well written and there’s loads of action.
“I saw some of the pre-visualisations already and it’s the first time in years where I went, ‘Wow! I could be part of that? In that frame?’ It’s gone back to the original.”

Talking about the film, producer Neal Moritz commented, "I think the world that [director] Len Wiseman is creating is incredible. It’s a real world, a real future world, where the cities have just gotten so overcrowded that the cities are just built up, up, up, up."

He added: "We’re playing it like a real world, but there’s all these technological advancements to the real world, and it’s just really, it’s cool. It’s an awesome movie. I’m dying—as a fan of movies, more than anything, it’s a movie that I’m just dying to see.”

Filming on 'Total Recall' will begin in May.

Source

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm still not sure how I feel about this. I like the original too much to give much support to this, but then again, I'd rather see a remake/reboot of a movie that's about twenty years old as opposed to one that's only 8 (RE: Spiderman).

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't mind a reboot of Total Recall, but I'm less than thrilled that Colin Farrell's playing the lead role.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
I don't mind a reboot of Total Recall, but I'm less than thrilled that Colin Farrell's playing the lead role.

^ this.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ +2. I just can't stand the guy. Plus, if he's buffing up, it means that they'll go the blockbuster actioner route again, while I think that such a story needs a central character who looks like the guy next door to really succeed.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think Colin Farrell is great in the right role. In Bruges was brilliant. This however, "ain't the right role"...

DwightFry78 said:
Plus, if he's buffing up, it means that they'll go the blockbuster actioner route again, while I think that such a story needs a central character who looks like the guy next door to really succeed.

I totally agree. I would love to see joe shmoe as the central character.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I totally agree. I would love to see joe shmoe as the central character.
Arnie as the lead was the only real problem I had with the original. I've always said that Peter Weller would have been my ideal choice. Unfortunately Arnie came with the script and Verhoeven would have never made it if not because the future Governator demanded him as the director.

The story is about Joe Shmoe who gets an implant of a bad, clichéd action movie in his brain. That's the key for it to make sense. Schwarzenegger, just by being Schwarzenegger, worked against this.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No Mars then :( Looks like it could be a pretty decent action thriller though.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Directy by Beckinsale's hubby, Len Wiseman of Underworld 'fame'.
City scape reminds me of The Fifth Element. Not holding my breath though.
Could be a world class hit, or a fun Friday night no-brainer, like the original.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Michael Ironside was a top villain in the original. Plus, it was a breakout role for Sharon Stone.
I think this film is flying below radar at present. Prometheus is sucking the oxygen for just about everything.

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since I read about this remake I've thought that no Mars and Colin at the lead does not bode well at all. But then against all expectations I liked the "The day the Earth stood still" remake, and that had Keanu and sported quite a different ending from the original; so I'll reserve my opinion for when I give it a watch (ie when it finally drops on home video).came with

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
At the moment Bryan Cranston is the only selling point for me. I loved him as Hal during Malcolm in the Middle but he's been fantastic in Breaking Bad and Batman: Year one.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I cant get past the colin farellness of it either. the cgi'd-to-fuck-all city looks meh and len wiseman can do kinetic action but ive never much cared for his work. hopefully its decent but its really hard to look past the arnie version here.
ive never read [or finished rather] "we can remember it for you wholesale" but i hope that it gets more dickness this time around.
oh, those white soldier dudes looked kinda cool i guess. :)

Dakbykayk

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The real problem I have with all this is that they're going to completely throw out what made the movie original. It was a parody, but they don't think that sort of movie can make it nowadays so their despensing with Verohoven's venomous satire. This same stuff happened with the Robocop franchise and it lost all flavor because of it. The events are not what made the original work, but rather the style thigns were portrayed. The remake looks to have none of the style and none of the charm. It's simply trying to ride off of the Inception train because it happens to have a twist ending. Not looking forward to it.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel the complete opposite. I'm fine with a remake, since I think the original is shit. I love Verhoeven, but the stylistic confusion that arises from trying to make a satire, a dystopian scifi, a slapstick comedy and an action flick all at once is just too much to bear and the film ends up tearing itself apart. I prefer Starship Troopers, and even Showgirls (yes, you heard me; an underrated movie if I ever saw one).

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nothing wrong with Showgirls, sure its trashy, and has cheesy dialogue and story but it's loads of fun.

Top Bottom