• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

rank your Harry Potter movies

Which is your favourtite Harry Potter movie?

• Philosopher's (Sorcerer's) Stone

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Chamber Of Secrets

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Prisoner Of Azkaban

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • Goblet Of Fire

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Order Of The Phoenix

• Halblood Prince

• Deathly Hallows I

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't watched 7 yet, but for the first 6 here is my ranking (will add no.7, when I get there):

1. Philosopher's Stone
2. Halfblood Prince
3. Goblet Of Fire
4. Order Of The Phoenix
5. Prisoner Of Azkaban
6. Chamber Of Secrets

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tough one. Will probably change, but so far is:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Sorcerer's Stone
3. Chamber of Secrets
4. Deathly Hallows part 1
5. Half-blood Prince
6. Order of the Phoenix
7. Goblet of Fire

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never heard of the Halblood Prince before! :oops: Must be a new book in the series. LOL. :p

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. Prisoner of Azkaban (For me this film set the tone & standard for the rest of the series and is the best paced film without any plot holes)
2. Goblet of Fire (Second because of the heavy editing)
3. Chamber of Secrets (Just prefer it to the 1st film)
4. Philosopher's Stone (Just prefer it to the others)
2. Order of the Phoenix (Story wise I don't see the point of it, plus it drags out in the middle)
3. Half-blood Prince (The pacing of this film is too flat for me)
4. Deathly Hallows part 1 (Spent way too long in the woods & I got restless)

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1) Prisoner of Azkaban
2) Order of the Phoenix
3) Chamber of Secrets
4) Half Blood Prince
5) Philosophers
6) Death Hallows 1
7) Goblet of Fire

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As the last film is out I thought I'd revise my ranking

1. Prisoner of Azkaban (For me this film set the tone & standard for the rest of the series and is the best paced film without any plot holes)
2. Deathly Hallows - Part 2 (Unlike the last few films thankfully this one just gets on with it)
3. Goblet of Fire (Second because of the heavy editing)
4. Chamber of Secrets (Yes it's a kids film but unlike the later films it doesn't suffer with plot holes)
5. Philosopher's Stone (Not as good as Chamber, but at least it doesn't suffer with plot holes)
6. Order of the Phoenix (Story wise I don't see the point of it, plus it drags out in the middle)
7. Half-blood Prince (The pacing of this film is too flat for me)
8. Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (Spent way too long in the woods & I got restless)

Overall I'm ambivalent towards the series. For me the only film that truly stands up to any kind of scrutiny is The Prisoner of Azkaban. Putting the first two films to one side (As they're just kids films) for me the other films just don't stand on their own two feet. I did enjoy them but not having read the books I've found myself asking my mate who has read the book to fill the gaps in for me and films shouldn't need that.

So I've enjoyed them for what they are, event movies which have occasionally risen beyond that, but to be honest I'm now looking forward to The Hobbit. For me Peter Jackson clearly knows how to translate a complex and epic story into a coherent and thrilling movie, something I think the makers of the Potter films have rarely managed to do.

nightstalkerpoet

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1.Order of the Phoenix
2.Deathly Hallows, Part 2
3.Chamber of Secrets (extended edition)
4.Half Blood Prince
5.Goblet of Fire
6.Deathly Hallows, Part 1
7.Prisoner of Azkaban
8. Sorcerer's Stone

Its strange, because as a fan of the books, Prisoner of Azkaban stands out to me as the only film with really significant plot holes (and ultimately adds to those in the later films).

JDubyew

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As someone who has never read the books:

1) Deathly Hallows Part 2
2) Goblet of Fire (more engaging and faster paced than Prisoner of Azkaban, although Azkaban has more substance)
3) Prisoner of Azkaban (a bit too slow paced for me but it had some great emotion and character development)
4) Half-Blood Prince (yes, flatly paced, but the last half hour is great)
5) Deathly Hallows Part 1 (too slow-paced and minus the character development)
6) Chamber of Secrets (cheesy but darker than Philosopher's Stone)
7) Philosopher's Stone (cheesy without the darkness)
8) Order of the Phoenix (no change in the overall story arc whatsoever apart from Sirius dying, so an extremely pointless entry)

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
From the people I've spoken to there does seem to be a clear differing of opinion on the films based on whether they've read the books or not. I mean, I'm not down on the films or anything, rather Potter than Transformers any day of the week, but I just wish the films stood on their own 2 feet. I've got no desire to read the books but I know perfectly well if I did then the films would make more sense.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1. DH 1
2. DH 2 (After a second viewing, the changes I hated didn't bother me quite as much, and the rest is done very well).
3. GoF (This was probably my favorite book).
4. POA
5. CoS
6. OotP (Worst book by far, and it makes it hard for the movie to make up for it's pointlessly building up the prophecy as something really important and helpful)
7. SS/PS (Just went overboard with the overly joyful moments and music. Also goes for long stretches without advancing the plot. Very boring movie).

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
as i have yet to see DH Part 2, here's my ranking.

01 - Order of the Phoenix
02 - Deathly Hallows Part 1
03 - Half Blood Prince: Pure Blood Edition
04 - Goblet of Fire
05 - Prisoner of Azkaban
06 - Chamber of Secrets
07 - Sorcerer's Stone

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Read all of the books, now seen all of the films:

1. Prisoner Of Azkaban - This was the book where it all got "serious" - wonderful acting by Mr. Oldman
2. Half Blood Prince - often visually fantastic - though much of the good stuff (Voldemort backstory) was missing
3. Sorcerer's Stone - Dursley's are great, Hagrid is great, everything is new and exiting
4. Goblet Of Fire - Dragons, merepeople, french chicks
5. Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Great book and the film captures many key moments, most cool stuff happens at the end
6. Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Great book and the film captures many key moments
7. Order Of The Phoenix - The thickest book IIRC, the feeling of pieces missing overshadowed my enjoyment.
8. Chamber Of Secrets - IMHO the weakest book + I really hate spiders and snakes

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Kevinicus said:
6. OotP (Worst book by far, and it makes it hard for the movie to make up for it's pointlessly building up the prophecy as something really important and helpful)

I'm glad someone else feels the same way. As someone who hasn't read the book this to me is the most pointless film out of the lot. I mean by the end of the GoF Potter say's Voldemort is back and then we have to sit through another 2 hour plus film in the OotP just to find out.... yep that Voldemort is back. I'm sure there's loads of subplots that are important in the film but for the story didn't move the overall arc forward at all.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FatherMerrin said:
I'm glad someone else feels the same way. As someone who hasn't read the book this to me is the most pointless film out of the lot. I mean by the end of the GoF Potter say's Voldemort is back and then we have to sit through another 2 hour plus film in the OotP just to find out.... yep that Voldemort is back. I'm sure there's loads of subplots that are important in the film but for the story didn't move the overall arc forward at all.

The only really relevant aspects of the book/movie are:

The connection between Harry/Voldemort's thoughts
Some history of Snape and James Potter (barely touched upon in movie)
Dumbledore's Army
And Sirius' death (which in the grand scheme of things isn't THAT important either).
The prophecy sheds a little light on some things, but that's all, it should in no way be a central focus point of a story, or something people should sacrifice their lives for.

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's pretty disappointing reading all those points and confirms why I didn't embrace the film as none of them seem like something you'd base a story on never mind a film.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Without Dumbledores Army, how would the kids survive the battle in the last 2 films? Pretty important if you ask me. Also, there's a lot of feelings, love and other adolescence related matters building on the character's and why we should invest time into them. Right?

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
emphatic said:
Without Dumbledores Army, how would the kids survive the battle in the last 2 films? Pretty important if you ask me.

I didn't see Dumbledore's Army in the last film, it just looked like the students, teachers and Potter's friends sort of got together to fight the army Voldemort had. In the film didn't Dumbledore's brother say the OotP was no more?

emphatic said:
Also, there's a lot of feelings, love and other adolescence related matters building on the character's and why we should invest time into them. Right?

That's how my mate (who has read the books) tried to explain the OotP. But for me there's a difference between Story Development and Character Development. Yes, the reader/audience should invest in the characters and their emotional journey, but that emotional journey should pushed forwarded by the story. Just making a film about character emotions without a story is extremely hard to do and I don't think the OotP film managed to pulled it off.

emphatic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What I meant to say about Dumbledore's army is that without it being started, none of the kids in it would have learnt any defense or offense used when fighting other magicians, giant spiders etc. And the young kids have of course been taught stuff from the older ones. Sure, much of the emotional aspects fell a bit flat because of the shortcomings of young actors...

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DA, like several other aspects of OotP while pertinent to the overall story and interesting enough, are not large enough plot points to build a book/movie around. That's the problem with OotP, it was mostly minor plot points that should have been dispersed throughout other books/movies if it could not be fit in with a major plot/theme. I think perhaps Rowling should have introduced one of the Deathly Hallows in this book, even if it's not known at that point that it is one of the 3 Hallows.

JDubyew

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FatherMerrin said:

You summed up all my problems with OotP. After re-watching it, it is by FAR the worst HP film. I am considering to do a fan edit of it (I've posted rough ideas for the franchise but never planned to act on it), with two definitive edits right now:

- Cut Voldermort nightmares entirely except for Ron's father, train and Sirius one (seems to happen WAY too often in the film)
- Cut Oppulency sub-plot (it has a nice flash-back to Snape as a teen, but the sub-plot has no effect on the story as Harry is still mentally overwhelmed by Voldie and the audience can assume he beats him through shear mental will alone)

If I do start work on this, I'm hoping to make the film between 110-120 minutes long.

Top Bottom