• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Say Goodbye to Component HD on Blu-Ray Players

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/10/analog-sunset-begins-all-the-new-blu-ray-players-will-only-outp/

This is actually a big deal for those of us who have older (non-HDMI) HD sets. And here's the most troubling part:

If you just love component video, you might figure you'll be able to get a player today and continue to enjoy it for years to come, but maybe not. You see the studios also have the Image Constraint Token (ICT) which when set on a title will tell every and all Blu-ray players to down convert analog output to 540p.
Might be time for a new TV ;)

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
F*%K HDMI. What a bunch of crap.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
But it will make it easier to sell my wife on a new TV. Might have to stretch the truth a little bit, though...

"You only get 540p? That's your problem? Too bad."

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
reave said:
F*%K HDMI. What a bunch of crap.

I love HDMI. A lot less cables to all my components.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thunderclap said:
A lot less cables to all my components.
I see what you did there.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
I see what you did there.

100% intentional. I swear. :whistle:

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I use HDMI because it's the only way to get 1080p at 24Hz. I don't like it though. The connection never seems very secure. If I could get 24Hz over component, I would do that.

It's bad enough that BD is limited to 1080i over component without this nonsense.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am also all about HDMI, but I HATE when backwards compatible tech is shelved.
for instance, after the NXE update on xbo360 all my paramount HDDVD's would no longer work due to some HDCP handshake issue. so all were replaced by blurays.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not long I wager if it's not been done already.

Oddball

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The article is just trying to get people in an uproar as usual. Unless I'm mistaken, the ICT flag has been in place for the life of HD discs and it has yet to be set on any title.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Any new Blu-ray player announced after January 1st 2011 will only output HD via HDMI
ICT flags won't matter either way if the player won't output HD.

Oddball

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's true. But that is very likely a cost saving measure. The added circuitry to provide component output is an additional cost, and since ALL new TV's have HDMI inputs, component is a non issue. The reason they were available to begin with is because not ALL TV's available when the players were first created had HDMI. Times change.

My comment was aimed at the thought that the flag would be set making ALL players with component outputs obsolete...and that is NOT the case.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm not sure how you can know that for sure.

Top Bottom