• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Hebrides's Box o' Tutorials (mostly AE)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, everyone. I know there are tons of useful tutorials spread throughout the site, and there are many, many more out there in cyberspace.

A lot of what's out there, though -- particularly on other sites -- is not that well organized, and it can take many hours of searching to find the specific info you're looking for.

Since research and compiling info are two of the things I'm supposed to be good at for my job, I figured it might be useful to compile a list with links/embedded videos of some of the tutorials I've found most helpful for specific tasks. That way, you can (ideally, anyway) narrow the search to here, without having to go all over the web looking for stuff.

This will be mostly, but not exclusively, devoted to After Effects tutorials for now.

Topics I hope to list include:

• motion tracking

• adding elements to a scene

• deleting/replacing elements in a scene

• some of the most common effects shots (e.g. muzzle flashes, keying)

• whatever else comes up!
I'll try to keep this list updated as best I can.

Also, please feel free to add/suggest your own, as well as a summary of what the tutorial is, who created it (in bold, to help people skim for what they're looking for; citations are important, sayeth the Professor! ;-)), and how you've found it to be useful/how you think it could be useful to others. I'm by no means an expert, and I know that a lot of you have info/advice to share that could be useful to others (including me!).

If you'd prefer to PM me so that I can organize the posts according to category, that would be cool too :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nice. If these are detailed tutorials, I'd prefer it if they all got their own thread (with a good descriptive title). You can use the sandbox here to index and link to them.

Can't wait to see what you post! :)

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And what about submitting them to thunderclap here?

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Throw: great idea! Would that (potentially) create dozens of new threads, though? Or is there a way to avoid that?

Frink: I missed that post by thunderclap. Interesting. Since what I have in mind is primarily AE-related, would it make sense to just send him a link to this thread? Or would you recommend something else?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's OK if there are a lot of threads. You can group very specific things if you want, but they should be easily searchable by topic title, and discussions on the specific tutorial should be easy to follow - which is best accomplished if they have their own threads. No worries about having lots of different threads - in fact, I'm thrilled!!!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've updated the first post to link to the first new thread, which is on color correction tutorials.

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
Frink: I missed that post by thunderclap. Interesting. Since what I have in mind is primarily AE-related, would it make sense to just send him a link to this thread? Or would you recommend something else?

The tutorials will be linked to from the Front Page, so they may be moved from the their threads or linked to them. Not sure yet. Best to keep things organized here though, so I'd suggest each "tutorial" has it's own thread. Also, include screen caps if you can. :)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Will do. Updated the Stu Maschwitz one with a couple of screencaps.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi, Throw. Probably not all, but mostly. Feel free to move away; I wasn't entirely sure which subforum was the appropriate one.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've updated the first post with a link to That VHS Look, a new tutorial by Tubes. Thanks for this one!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated "cool effects" to include How to Blend and Bend Time by Eran Stern at creativecow.net.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hebrides said:
I've updated the first post with a link to That TV Look, a new tutorial by Tubes. Thanks for this one!
I think you meant That VHS Look?

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep. Thanks, Frink -- damn late-night posting...

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated "cool effects" to include Custom Shatter Maps by Jesse Toula at creativecow.net.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Added a new thread on After Effects basics, including hidden features that even experienced users may not know about.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated AE basics with a tutorial by Andrew Devis about browsing and using AE's built-in presets to create projects without any additional footage or knowing any specific techniques and a link to Video Copilot's invaluable ten-tutorial After Effects Basic Training series.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated "cool effects" with Rewind Your Animation Like an Old VHS Tape by Jason Moore on ae.tutsplus.com.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Should have a "real" update soon, but I just wanted to say I LOVE the new color-coding for specific programs (AE, Vegas, FCP, etc.). Great idea!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can filter by the prefix too! If you scroll down to the bottom of the subforum, you will see Display options. Hoping we can eventually get that to the top of the forum, but I think the prefixes are a great addition to the forum!

Top Bottom