• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Hebrides's Box o' Tutorials (mostly AE)

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now that is cool! Thanks for the tip, Throw!

It's a little weird at the moment that all the AE threads were started by...me ;-)

Doing the prefix search, though, revealed an old thread I started about how to age someone in AE. I've since found at least one good tutorial that shows how to do just that. If I remember, I'll post a link to the tutorial soon...

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't forget that Technicolor AE tutorial ;-)
Technicolor is in short supply these days, sadly people have had to rashion it just so there is enough Technicolor to go around. It is a sad day when you can put on a dvd sourced from anything other than a technicolor print :-(

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated AE basics with a tutorial on Converting Frame Rates by Rich Harrington at creativecow.net. It's actually more useful, I think, for teaching the three main methods of frame blending in AE, and why advanced frame blending is usually the way to go.

Rogue, would you mind PMing me the link to that Technicolor tutorial? I saved the tutorial itself, but not where it came from or whom it was by.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated "cool effects" with Grow From Young to Old in 2.5 Seconds by Ran Ben Avraham at ae.tutsplus.com. Requires mocha, so it could technically go in a motion tracking thread too, but I've decided to put it in cool effects because mocha itself isn't the focus of the tutorial; it's just a means to an end.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated "cool effects" with a link to a tutorial by DVEditor in the boards at theforce.net on creating a Technicolor look in AE without third-party plugins. H/T to Rogue for finding this, and for suggesting things that could improve the effect.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated "cool effects" with a link to Procedural Crumble, an extremely cool tutorial by Andrew Kramer of videocopilot.net for creating a wall that slowly crumbles to reveal text beneath it.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've decided to start a new thread specifically for creating title sequences. It's one of the most common effects faneditors look for, even those who might otherwise not use AE at all, so it really deserves its own section.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Added a link in "color correction" to AETuts+ for both their week on color grading and their contest to win a license for Magic Bullet's very cool Colorista II plugin. Enter to win today!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So here's a question for those of you who have been following this thread...

I've just found some pretty cool tutorials -- part of a series, actually -- on matte painting basics using Photoshop. Now, I know when I started putting things in Ye Olde Box o' Tutorials that I said it would be mostly AE, and, thanks in part to Rich Harrington's excellent series of tutorials, we've seen how easy it is to get PS and AE to work together.

Since these are entirely PS-based, though -- though they could serve as the basis for new shots in AE -- should I put them in their own thread? Add a new sub-thread, linked to the first post here? Something else? I'm trying to keep the tutorials as easy to find as possible for all of us. What would you guys prefer?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
make it its own thread (since it isn't AE), and you can link it in the AE thread.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK. Will do, ASAP. Does anyone know if blip.tv videos are embeddable? If not, I'll just include links.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Added How to Blow the Face Off a Zombie Pirate by James Whiffin to "cool effects."

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started a new thread for creating movie posters, mostly in Photoshop, with a link to a presentation by Adobe Design Master Martin Perhiniak.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last night, I watched part of an absolutely mind-blowing tutorial about how to do face replacement and motion capture via AE, using only built-in effects. I'm tempted to post more about it here, but it's part of AETuts+ Premium, which means it requires a membership fee to view the whole thing. I watched at a friend's house because I had to let my own premium membership lapse.

Would you guys be interested in a link to the basic preview so that you could decide on your own whether it's worth springing for a premium membership? I'm not advertising their site in any way; I just would like to see if there's sufficient interest for me to add the preview to the Box o' Tutorials, even if I cannot link to the whole tutorial. Lemme know, please!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wow, that looks great. I'm hoping to jump into AE a lot more this summer, and I'll have to give this a look.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated the first post so that the links to the individual toolbox pages are current after the migration to the new site. I hope to start updating the box o' tutorials again after a much too long hiatus, but we'll see.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cool, thanks for cleaning up those links. And hooray for more tutorials!

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
All links in the threads have been updated, with the exception of one that has two videos; for the second, I included a link instead. When I tried to embed both, it said that the site limits video embeds to one per post. Is this a new thing?

Top Bottom