If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Hebrides's Box o' Tutorials (mostly AE)
Hi, everyone. I know there are tons of useful tutorials spread throughout the site, and there are many, many more out there in cyberspace.

A lot of what's out there, though -- particularly on other sites -- is not that well organized, and it can take many hours of searching to find the specific info you're looking for.

Since research and compiling info are two of the things I'm supposed to be good at for my job, I figured it might be useful to compile a list with links/embedded videos of some of the tutorials I've found most helpful for specific tasks. That way, you can (ideally, anyway) narrow the search to here, without having to go all over the web looking for stuff.

This will be mostly, but not exclusively, devoted to After Effects tutorials for now.

Topics I hope to list include:

• motion tracking
  • adding elements to a scene
  • deleting/replacing elements in a scene
  • some of the most common effects shots (e.g. muzzle flashes, keying)
  • whatever else comes up!
I'll try to keep this list updated as best I can.

Also, please feel free to add/suggest your own, as well as a summary of what the tutorial is, who created it (in bold, to help people skim for what they're looking for; citations are important, sayeth the Professor! ;-)), and how you've found it to be useful/how you think it could be useful to others. I'm by no means an expert, and I know that a lot of you have info/advice to share that could be useful to others (including me!).

If you'd prefer to PM me so that I can organize the posts according to category, that would be cool too Smile
Criticism is good. Suggestions are better.
ONGOING: Hebrides's Box o' Tutorials
nice. If these are detailed tutorials, I'd prefer it if they all got their own thread (with a good descriptive title). You can use the sandbox here to index and link to them.

Can't wait to see what you post! Smile
---------------------: My Fanedits :---------------------
Because You Were Home (the Strangers)

--------------------: Consecutions :--------------------
And what about submitting them to thunderclap here?
Throw: great idea! Would that (potentially) create dozens of new threads, though? Or is there a way to avoid that?

Frink: I missed that post by thunderclap. Interesting. Since what I have in mind is primarily AE-related, would it make sense to just send him a link to this thread? Or would you recommend something else?
It's OK if there are a lot of threads. You can group very specific things if you want, but they should be easily searchable by topic title, and discussions on the specific tutorial should be easy to follow - which is best accomplished if they have their own threads. No worries about having lots of different threads - in fact, I'm thrilled!!!

I've updated the first post to link to the first new thread, which is on color correction tutorials.
hebrides Wrote:Frink: I missed that post by thunderclap. Interesting. Since what I have in mind is primarily AE-related, would it make sense to just send him a link to this thread? Or would you recommend something else?

The tutorials will be linked to from the Front Page, so they may be moved from the their threads or linked to them. Not sure yet. Best to keep things organized here though, so I'd suggest each "tutorial" has it's own thread. Also, include screen caps if you can. Smile
Will do. Updated the Stu Maschwitz one with a couple of screencaps.
thanks again for this hebrides. FYI, I moved the color correction thread to the Fanediting Applications subforums. Are all these tuts going to be for AE? if so, we can move this thread there too.

Hi, Throw. Probably not all, but mostly. Feel free to move away; I wasn't entirely sure which subforum was the appropriate one.