• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Horse Whisperer - The Whispering Edition

Metrostar

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tagline: The mother of a severely traumatized daughter enlists the aid of a unique horse trainer to help the girl's equally injured horse.

Original film name: The Horse Whisperer.

New film name : The Horse Whisperer - Whispering Edition.

Film studio name : Touchstone.

Edit crew name : Metrostar

Date Original Film Was Released : 1998.

Date Edit Was Released : January 2011.

Original Runtime : 162 minutes.

New Runtime : 103 minutes.

Amount of time Cut/Added : 59 minutes.

Cuts removed/added/extended :

10 minutes of footage from the first 40 minutes of the film were removed to shorten the time it takes to get to the ranch in Montana. These 10 minutes comprise of various scenes showing Grace and Judith riding their horses, scenes showing Pilgrim being captured/sedated/cared for by Liz Hammond, Annie McLean at her's and Robert McLean's New York apartment, at her place of work and some hospital scenes were either trimmed or removed completely).

All scenes which Show Tom Booker and Annie McLean's characters alone were removed, as well as any scenes that show them looking at each other and/or embracing in a romantic/passionate manner in situations where other people are present (e.g. dancing together at a local barn dance).

Occassional glances between Tom Booker and Annie McLean's characters characters were trimmed from scenes that have otherwise been included.

The final 8 minutes of the film was also removed as this mostly involved Tom Booker and Annie McLean's characters characters.

Added a few frames here and there and especially at the very end of the fanedit.

Added Taylor Swift audio to scene where Grace is in her bedroom watching videos of Pilgrim.

Fanedit details:

Video Format : PAL DVD.

Your intention for this fanedit: To make the film focus more on Grace McLean, Pilgrim and Tom Booker.

Your way to achieve your intention: By removing the romance between Tom Booker and Annie McLean's characters.

Hardware and software information: PgcDemux, VirtualDub, Cinematize 2, Adobe Premiere, Cool Edit, DVD Lab.

Additional Comment: Robert Redford shot the movie using two different aspect ratios. In the early scenes in New York, the film is presented in a standard 1.85:1 aspect ratio. As the location shifts to Montana, the film widens the viewing area to a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. I have cropped everything to 16:9 to give the movie more of a TV Movie feel.

Time needed for the edition: Original rough draft done in August 2009. Actual editing was two weeks ending the first week in January 2011.

Persons involved: Metrostar.

If your intention is to take focus off the romance, why have you removed the horse scenes from the beginning? Surely it sets up the relationship between the people and the horses which is your focus?

The scenes I cut of Grace and Judith riding were actually very short and didn't do anything to develop Grace's character. I just wanted to get to Montana quicker. I am a huge Robert Redford fan and I hated waiting 40 minutes to get to his ranch in the movie. I would have liked to have got there even quicker.

-----------------------------

I just looked at what I cut and before the accident, I cut 1 minute of Grace waking up, getting ready and leaving her home. There was no dialogue.

I cut 4 long shots (see below) of Grace and Judith riding that came to a total of 30 seconds. In each of these scenes, you can hear the girls talking about boys at school.

riding.jpg

The scenes that showed Pilgrim being captured, sedated and eventually bandaged in the equine hospital, along with the scenes of Grace's parents in hospital watching over Grace at her bedside and Grace's mom on the phone with the vet come to 5 minutes and 30 seconds.

I had no problem leaving Pilgrim's post-accident scenes out, as I wanted the viewer to see him after the accident at the same time Grace does.

The other cuts before Grace and her parents leave hospital and return home are just various scenes showing Grace's mom at work.

Awesome! Actually very nice job. I'll get the cover updated tonight!

Thanks. Now that's all done, I am going to get to work on the DVD version of my first fanedit. :)

Metrostar said:
Thanks. Now that's all done, I am going to get to work on the DVD version of my first fanedit. :)
Will you be losing the screenwriters sequence? Please? Pretty please? :)

I will definitely be doing a cover.

And I will be taking a close look at the Screenwriters scene and see if I can lose it. I originally kept it in because of the phone call David's lawyer get's from David during that meeting.

Metrostar said:
I originally kept it in because of the phone call David's lawyer get's from David during that meeting.
Which is totally unnecessary. All David does is telling the lawyer what we have just seen.

Indeed and I admit, it's so much better without the scene. I have done the video and am now doing the audio. Should be finished very soon.

Back
Top Bottom