• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Best format to use with Sony Vegas Pro 10?

UnknwnFactor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi,

New guy here. As a matter of fact, I am so new at this that I don't think I can even be classified as a Firstling. :-( Is there something below that classification? Pond scum? Single-cell amoeba?

I read through a great deal of the "how to guides" etc posted, but am not quite sure my question is answered.

I am using Sony Vegas Pro 10.0b and Sony SoundForge Pro 10 (both are full version, legal, purchased) to start my first "real" fanedit. To extract/rip the dvd source, I am using DVDFab Platinum 8

What is the best format to convert a store-bought DVD (i.e. .vob) to edit from using Vegas (or for editing in general should I decide on using some other program? I do not want to use .mpg because the video and audio go out of sync over the length of the file ( an issue with Sony Vegas and some cases Adobe Premier CS4 and 5).

Although I did overcome this issue with my "2001" edit, by extracting the audio from the dvd first then converting the video to .mpg separately. I then had a separate audio and a separate video file to drop onto the editing timeline in Vegas - no sync issues at all - even after a final render. A cool benefit of this process was that I had control over the 6 channels of audio too. The downside was that Vegas still didn't quite handle the final render - the video seemed to stutter a bit.

Any help from the Jedi Editing Council of Fanedit Masters would greatly appreciated!
(especially if I missed a thread on this that already exists).

I'm really looking forward to becoming involved in the forum/posting reviews etc.

Thanks!

UnkwnFactor

UPDATE - I guess I should have said I use Aimersoft's Ultimate Video Converter 4 and AVS Video Converter 7 to handle the conversions.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Holy hell that will be useful if I can ever get Vegas Movie Studio to work (I assume the settings are somewhat similar). Thanks Throw.

UnknwnFactor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Excellent! Thanks!

Frink - I have dabbled with Movie Studio a bit and both Vegas and Movie Studio seem very similar in use/settings etc. Curious, are you having issues with Movie Studio? Don't like it?

I also have Adobe Premier CS5 Extended (full version, legal, purchased), but I chose to load up Vegas instead? Do you have any preferences?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying to install the trial version and I can't even get it to run. It shows up very briefly in task manager (under processes, not applications) and then just disappears. Same thing with the trial version of the audio software (Forge or whatever it is called). I poked around on various faqs and forums and tried a few things, but no luck so far.

I sent an email to Sony but no response. After the holidays I'm going to call them.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You have full legal versions of Adobe Premiere CS5, Sony Vegas Pro 10, Sony Soundforge Pro 10, Sony Movie Studio and DVD Fab Platinum 8? Wow! Was it the best Christmas ever?

UnknwnFactor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL ! Totally! Now all I need to do is learn how to use them to make some worthy edits ... :cry:

UnknwnFactor

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I'm trying to install the trial version and I can't even get it to run. It shows up very briefly in task manager (under processes, not applications) and then just disappears. Same thing with the trial version of the audio software (Forge or whatever it is called)."

:-o

I have heard a few people having this problem with the trial versions; especially on Windows Vista and pre-Snow Leopard Macs. Not sure if I have heard of a fix/failure resolution on it, though

Top Bottom