• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Last of the Mohicans: The Hybrid Cut

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Last of the Mohicans: Hybrid Cut (Second Version)

(This edit replaces the previous Extended Edition Fanedit as it is an entirely new approach to the edit and does not simply insert deleted footage)

tagline: More feathers in your war-bonnet!
original film name: The Last of the Mohicans
new film name : The Last of the Mohicans: Hybrid Cut
original film studio name : Morgan Creek, Twentieth Century-Fox
edit crew name : Captain Khajiit
Date Original Film Was Released : 1992
Date Edit Was Released on FE : December 2010
Original Runtime : 112 min (theatrical) 117 min (Director's Expanded Edition) 114 min (Director's Definitive Cut)
New Runtime : 117 min
Amount of time cut/added : depends on the cut you compare it to, but approximately five minutes are added to the theatrical version
Cuts removed/added/extended : see below

Fanedit details : NTSC anamorphic widescreen SL DVD with AC-3 5.1 48 kHz 484 kbps audio

Intention for this fanedit: to balance the larger-than-life drama of

the theatrical cut of The Last of the Mohicans with the more serious

historical side to the film that was emphasised in the Director's Expanded

Edition and the Director's Definitive Cut.

Software used:

* DVD Fab HD Decrypter
* DGIndex
* DGAVCDec
* PGCDemux
* Photoshop 7
* Avisynth 2.5.8
* Womble MPEG Video Wizard DVD
* eac3to
* HeadAc3he
* Virtualdubmod
* HC Encoder 0.25
* DVD Lab Pro
* Tsmuxer

Time needed for the edition: about eight weeks
persons involved: one; however, thanks must be given to a number of people: Rogue-TheX for support and cover art, Throwgncpr for being willing to help, and jagabo, manono and poisondeathray for technical advice.

How intention was achieved: SPOILERS ahead!

Cutlist

-added Hybrid Cut title and faneditor's credit without disturbing the original title sequence

-extended approach to Cameron's cabin with theatrical takes used at various points

-The line that was missing from the raising of the County Levy in the DEE is present.

-I used the theatrical approach to Albany as it shows more of the bridge, which I like.

-DDC version of Major Heyward's meeting with Webb (with the significant extra line of dialogue at the beginning and superior take of Webb's line about loyal American subjects)

-Uncas' line "Find yourself a musket" is not restored. It makes Heyward seem more capable if he thinks of this himself. He is a professional soldier, trained in the European school of warfare, who is unaccustomed to warfare in the Americas, but he can still improvise.

-Hawkeye's "Clear it up any?" line is not restored in the default audio mix. The line made it seem as if Hawkeye was insulting the Major's intelligence without, as yet, any reason to do so; without the line, the disagreement between the two men seems one of mindset, which allows the potential for the two men, eventually, to achieve a respect for each other.

-Theatrical version of Hawkeye and Cora's conversation about the decision not to bury the Camerons. (The DDC deleted Cora's cry of "What?"; the DEE deleted the "breed apart" dialogue.)

-extended siege of Fort William Henry

-I restored Hawkeye's line, "Just dropped by to see how you boys is doin'" on entering the fort because I like the bravado.

-The footage of the children in the French camp singing out of time with the music is not present, and the first conversation between Magau and Montcalm follows the DDE.

-Hawkeye's "I think one day you and I are gonna have a serious disagreement" line at the fort is present.

-Major Heyward's diversion is back.

-Cora's says, "The whole world's on fire," as she does in the DDC, not, "The whole world's on fire, isn't it?" as she does in the theatrical cut. Both versions of this line work, but I prefer the shorter one.

-The full extended version of the parley scene is present, including the line about one British officer helping another. The latter was an annoying deletion from the DEE, in my view, as the other officers are obviously looking to Munro for a comment that never comes, and to cut to Heyward's line seems unnatural.
-The extended dialogue in the conversation between Magua and Montcalm after the Parley is present, with "Le Subtil" not "Magua", to match lip movements.

-The footage of the French entering the fort has not been used: I think the footage looks rough and there is some junk piled up on the left that looks, well, odd.

-I have removed the assistant director with the megaphone and the baseball cap out of one shot by zooming it slightly. Unfortunately, fixing other goofs is beyond me at present.

-The extra shots of redcoats and Huron fighting in the battle in the forest are retained, as is the DDC'c cut from Magua to the column before he begins yelling. (This was a good idea on Michael Mann's part.)

-Added Cora's missing lines at the waterfall, as the attempts that Mann made to cut this sequence, although interesting, left one feeling that something was missing.
-Hawkeye's line to the Major on the lake has not been restored. This might be unpopular, but with the line it seems as if Hawkeye has shamed Heyward into not shooting; without it, he appears to make his own decision. This builds his character and makes his decision to sacrifice himself later on more plausible. It also links nicely to the earlier scene in which Hawkeye tells Heyward, "In case your aim's any better than your judgment," because Heyward now shows his characer by making the correct judgment (without Hawkeye's cajoling).

-The extra canoe chase footage is present.

-In the default audio mix, the Clannad theme without English lyrics plays over the chase sequence with the new sunset shots, as in the DDC. On reflection, I like the sunset shots, and the song conveys the appropriate mood and feelings without the English lyrics spelling them out.

-The DDC cut the scene in the Huron village and Great Sachem's speech into two parts and, awkwardly, deleted Hawkeye's line: "[would Huron] kill every man, woman and child of their enemy?" The reason for the re-ordering escapes me, as it diminishes the impact of Great Sachem's speech. The original sequence of events has been recreated by recutting the Blu-ray footage and adding some better quality shots from the DEE. This is not a complete restoration of the theatrical sequence, as some shots differ slightly, but the effect is the same. The brief new shots of the Huron gathering in the village have been retained.

-The Blu-ray's darker, richer color palette has been used, as the faneditor prefers it. Shots from the two previous cuts have been color corrected to match it. The color fluctuations have been removed from the film.

-The audio mixes on the DDC and DEE had high dynamic ranges, which pleased audio enthusiasts, but irritated many others who had to scramble for their remotes. An attempt has been made to keep the volume level from fluctuating too much throughout the film, and a limited amount of dynamic range compression has been applied.

-The extra shots of Cora and Hawkeye walking backwards out of the Huron village are not present. They were nice, but they slowed down the sequence.

-Major Heyward's second scream, just before his death, has not been restored, in the default audio mix. On reflection, this makes Heyward stoic and more like Hawkeye than he first appears: Hawkeye's two yells as he raced to save Cora in the second forest ambush have always been muted, so now there is a nice parallel between Hawkeye and Heyward. Without Hawkeye's quip to Heyward on the lake, the moment near the end in which Hawkeye hesitates before shooting Heyward seems somehow more poignant.

-The new sound of Magua's knife as he cuts Uncas' throat is used. I like the original sound, but the new sound is "nastier" and makes the slaying of Uncas seem more brutal.
-Chingachgook's war-club is shown impaling Magua throught the back

-The footage of Hawkeye comforting Cora after Alice's death is present.

-The theatrical ending is back. I like Chingachgook's long speech at the end just as much, but this is unpopular, and there is something fitting about ending the film with the phrase, "Last of the Mohicans".

An alternate "purist" audio mix is included in the download, with instructions as to how to rip and replace the default audio mix. The alternate mix differs from the default audio mix in the following ways:

-Hawkeye's line, "Clear it up any?" has been restored.

-Cora now says, "The whole world's on fire, isn't it?" as she did in the theatrical cut, rather than just "The whole world's on fire," as she does in the DDC.

-The English lyrics are present in the Clannad song.

-Major Heyward's missing second scream has been put back.

-The original sound of Magua's knife cutting Uncas' throat has been restored.

I am so going to check this one out.
Love the original but somewhat put off my the director's version.
This sounds like the perfect balance.:)

Thank you, bob! I hope you enjoy it.

I would also like thank L8wrtr for releasing this so quickly! I wasn't expecting anything until tomorrow evening at the earliest. :)

Hey Captain, I had a post here, but it seems to have disappeared... :-? Anyway, the gist of it was me asking you what version of the audio you prefer that people use.

Hey, Ripplin! Funnily enough, someone complained that a post had gone missing from the other LOTM thread too!

My preferred audio mix is already on the disc. The alternate audio mix is closer to the theatrical mix: it is for purists who disliked certain alterations that Mann made to the audio. I hope this helps. :)

It does help. Thanks. :) I'll review and such after I've watched.

This an exceptionally well done Fan Edit.
In terms of video and audio quality, I found no significant negative issues.

The editing is well done, I noticed one or two spots where it felt editted to me,
but that is probably just because I have watched the original so many times.

Regarding Entertainment value, this is where it becomes subjective.
I am a HUGE FAN of the original theatre version,
and only a so-so admirer of the Director's Cut.

Captain Khajiit's edit is very subtle and clever, and works really well.
I totally appreciate all the choices he made and his skill at implimenting them.
This edit does entertain, the viewer will not be bored and I do highly recommend
that anyone slightly interested in this film should check it out.

That said, while I did enjoy this version of LOTM,
I think I still prefer the original theatrical cut.
But it is a very close call.

Well done Captain!
I salute you!!!:)

Thanks, bob! I really appreciate your comment. You're absolutely right that the theatrical cut of this film is fantastic. In terms of pace it is absolutely unbeatable, and I completely understand why someone would prefer it. Let's just hope that Mann agrees to release it on BD at some point. :)

With two more 10/10 ratings, this fanedit enters the Greatest fanedit list.
I'll make a news article about it in a couple of days.
I also want to say that the staff is discussing about the rules to make it maybe even more difficult in the future to enter that list.
But with an average of 9.80, LOTM is a clear and undisputed member of the club! :)
Congrats!

TMBTM said:
I also want to say that the staff is discussing about the rules to make it maybe even more difficult in the future to enter that list.

Attempting to look at the edit impartially, I would have to agree that tightening up the rules is a good idea. Although I worked hard on this edit, I should have been required to do more to achieve entry to the list. (I was not looking for this at all: my only goal was to improve an edit that had always embarrassed me slightly because the technical flaws of the previous version stuck out.) A big thank you to TMBTM and the other staff! I would appreciate being informed of the new criteria so that I can attempt to improve my work further.

Rating artworks is always tough because there are so many different angles you can look at. You could give scores for sheer effort and technical skill, and then complete overhauls like Superman: Son of Jor-El and Army of the Twelve Monkeys would get 10 out of 10. Or you could give scores for just entertainment value and theatrical quality, and an edit like The Last of the Mohicans: The Hybrid Cut would score at the top. Right now when I search the archive and ratings I'm looking for entertainment value first. Maybe if I get more experience with the technical parts of fanediting, my attitude will change.

Thanks, Brumous! I appreciated your leaving a comment as well as a rating. It gave me some feedback.

I don't think it's the scores (I really appreciated your rating, by the way :grin: ) that's the issue though. I think TMBTM meant that more than ratings alone should be required for entry to the list.

To clarify, the issue being discussed is the combination of average rated score + minimum number of ratings. Having two different criteria is odd. It is a difficult balance to achieve however because 5 votes feels kind of low, but then again, there are many edits that don't even have 5 ratings period. An extended part of the discussion includes the fact that the SW Hall of fame has a lower overall voting criteria. SW fans are notoriously nit-picky and it is difficult for it quality edits to get rated well, but then again, Kerr has proven that all you really have to do is make a really kick-ass edit ;)

Anyhow, as far as the edits themselves, it will always remain a combination of total score and number of ratings. Something that LOTM seems to not have an issue about.

Thank you for the clarification, L8wrtr. I agree that it is difficult to set a minimum number because many people simply do not review or rate edits, even when they might vote for them in the competition. Anyway, thanks for clearing that up. :)

Could someone please tell me how to get to the page with the links for this edit? I've searched everywhere but could not find them. I've also visited this page but to no avail:

http://www.fanedit.org/ifdb/compone...106-last-of-the-mohicans-the-hybrid-cut#video

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post my request but I could not find help anywhere else. Thank you for your patience and hope that someone will be able to help me as this is my favorite movie of all times.

Thank you very much Neglify for the pointers. I appreciate that and have been successful in obtaining Captain Khajiit's great work.

chootorrente said:
Thank you very much Neglify for the pointers. I appreciate that and have been successful in obtaining Captain Khajiit's great work.
In my inbox, that reply showed as...

Thank you very much Neglify for the pointers. I appreciate that and have been successful in obtaining Captain Khajiit's great work.*AutoSaved textareas*
*Restored textareas*
*Cleared AutoSaved data*
*AutoSaved textarea data available*

:???:

Back
Top Bottom