• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Robots VS Kung Fu: The Matrix Grindhouse Edition: Analog Demaster Released!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I absolutely loved TMBTM's Grindhouse edit of the original Star Wars  - so much so that it's inspired me to make my first very fan edit, one  of a similar nature.  My intent is to take The Matrix (and its sequels,  eventually), and diminish it to the level of a shot-on-video endeavor,  with the use of video filters, behind the scenes footage, new music, and  plenty of editing.   I'm still very early into this, but I should have a  half hour or so's worth of a workprint available in the near future.  I  look forward to all the help and advice the FE community has for me.

That's  how the project began in 2010. Since then, it's been rebooted,  restarted, retooled and refined. It was finally released in October 2013.  It went on to win the Favorite Fan Edit award for that month! 

To celebrate the third anniversary of the release of the edit, I have released a new version, The Analog Demaster.  Based on a preservation of a 35mm print of The Matrix - a rather damaged one - it is presented in (mostly) 720p HD.  It also features some new alternate shots from behind the scenes footage that I neglected to include the first time through.  It is currently available as both a high quality MKV (featuring the audio commentary and isolated score as alternate audio tracks), as well as a FAT32 / Playstation 3 friendly MP4.  A Blu-Ray is in the works, which will retain all of the old extras from the DVD release, some remastered in HD.  It will also include the new Making of Robots vs Kung Fu Mocumentary.   A two-disc DVD5 version will follow, eventually.

RVKFCOVERFINAL_zpsf8ca477b.png

a TRUE FANEDIT by MatrixGrindhouse, aka Starschwar

Thomas Anderson was living the high life. Drugs, women,  cash - all for the taking. But when The Man gives him a raw deal, he's  on the run for his life. The militant Morpheus transports him to the  future world of 1999, and trains him in the savage killing techniques of  Kung Fu.  Assuming the slasher alias Neo, he then embarks on a deadly  game... of death.  Trapped in a world of violence, addiction, and  perversion, he is pursued by electronic monstrosities, twisted organ  thieves, and the telepathic  Federal Agent Smith.  Now he must make a  choice: kill them all... or die trying!

TRAILER

Original film name: The Matrix
Film studio name : Warner Brothers
Film release date:
March 31, 1999
Original run time:
136 minutes
New run time:  95.5 minutes

EDIT DETAILS:
I sought out to completely alter the  movie as we know it. The presentation is now that of a mid-1980s  exploitation film. The famous green tint has been removed and replaced  with thick grain and print damage.  The plot, character motivations,  personalities, and sequence of events have been changed to tell the  story in a new manner.  Wherever possible, characters are made to be  worse people.  Everything depicted is - wherever possible - changed to  be cheaper (via extensive use of behind-the-scenes footage), sleazier,  darker, or simply different from the original version.  The soundtrack  has been almost completely replaced in favor of new music, with the  emphasis on 70's synth to better suit the style and supposed time  period.  Continuity errors have been created where none had existed. New  subplots have been added.  Dialogue has been altered.  I have changed  everything that I possibly can change, while keeping within the context  of the purpose of this project.  

DVD EXTRAS

Disc 1

Fan Editor's Audio Commentary
Isolated Soundtrack

Disc 2
The original 30 minute long workprint from 2010
Over ten minutes of Deleted, Alternate, and Extended scenes, including an Alternate Ending
Soundtrack Listing
Two trailers for this edit
Two trailers for fan edits from other editors

Film Sources Used:
The Matrix
The Matrix Revisited
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
The Animatrix
Johnny Mnemonic
Dark City
Highlander 2
Grindhouse
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
Game of Death
Game of Death 2
Rush Hour
The Dynamite Brothers Trailer
Hitman (2007)
The Hit Man (1972) Trailer
Resident Evil (2002)
The Astro Zombies Trailer
Highlander Trailer
Captain America: The First Avenger
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
Drunken Fist Boxing

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You seem to have made it the project of a lifetime, since you named yourself after it! :D

Nonetheless, I think something very fun can come out of this. I'll stay tuned!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blame that on paranoia. I'm hesitant to use another alias at this point, what with using copyrighted materials and all. I may "unmask" myself at some point in the future, I suppose.

Here's a list of changes I've made to the film thus far:

* All footage is interlaced. Noise has been added, and color timing altered. It now looks like a several generations old VHS copy. The film will retain it's 2.35:1 aspect ratio, and will be 16:9 enhanced, however.
* Replaced opening logos with vintage WB and Roadshow idents; tinted green, of course.
* Removed opening title and digital rain.
* Replaced Cypher and Trinity's conversation with dialogue from The Matrix Online, wherein two redpills mention Morpheus's belief in Thomas Anderson being The One. It is implied that this is not the first time Morpheus has made such a claim.
* Most of Morpheus's cellphone dialogue throughout the movie has been replaced with dialogue from The Matrix Online. He will now come across as more of a fanatic. He is also much quicker to use terms that he has yet to teach Neo, such as "Machines", or "Agents", prior to his extraction from the Matrix.
* Opening music is now "Codestream" from MXO.
* Spliced behind the scenes footage into Trinity's escape scene, trimmed some gunfire.
* Replaced music for Trinity's escape with "Running in the City" by Space
* Constructed a new opening credit sequence from the trailer, intercut with Neo sleeping at his computer. It is set to "Robo S" from mxo.
* Neo's transaction is now scored with "Grill", also from MXO.
* Replaced the Rob Zombie music with "Bash", from MXO.
* Cut establishing shot of Metacortex building.
* Neo's meeting with his boss is now accompanied by "DjZion N", from MXO
* Neo no longer drops the cell phone - he throws it away. This is the first of several changes that I hope will make him a much less likeable hero.
* Recut the interrogation. Smith insists that Morpheus is a dangerous man, and appeals to Neo's conscience. This prompts him to give the finger.
* Added behind the scenes audio - Neo: **** you man. **** you.
* Smith offers Neo a clean slate - he accepts the deal.
* Spliced in behind the scenes footage of the interrogation, and introduced some continuity errors regarding wardrobe.
* The Agents gleefully plant the bug in their willing victim.
* Changed much of Morpheus's dialogue up through the extraction - he is very dissapointed in Neo until he takes the Red Pill.
* Recut bug removal to avoid any CGI or elaborate props.
* Recut Red Pill scene and altered dialogue. Morpheus alternates between urging Neo to take it, and asking him to reconsider. After he's made his choice, he implies that it was the wrong one.
* Replaced the melting mirror with incomplete effects shots.
* Neo's extraction is now almost 100% behind the scenes footage and incomplete FX. Music has been changed to "Character Creation" from MXO.
* Cut rebuilding Neo's muscles.
* Morpheus claims that the Real World is the distant future of 1999.
* Left in the Neb's plaque, creating a continuity error with the previous change.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
Blame that on paranoia. I'm hesitant to use another alias at this point, what with using copyrighted materials and all. I may "unmask" myself at some point in the future, I suppose.

Here's a list of changes I've made to the film thus far:

* All footage is interlaced. Noise has been added, and color timing altered. It now looks like a several generations old VHS copy. The film will retain it's 2.35:1 aspect ratio, and will be 16:9 enhanced, however.
* Replaced opening logos with vintage WB and Roadshow idents; tinted green, of course.
* Removed opening title and digital rain.
* Replaced Cypher and Trinity's conversation with dialogue from The Matrix Online, wherein two redpills mention Morpheus's belief in Thomas Anderson being The One. It is implied that this is not the first time Morpheus has made such a claim.
* Most of Morpheus's cellphone dialogue throughout the movie has been replaced with dialogue from The Matrix Online. He will now come across as more of a fanatic. He is also much quicker to use terms that he has yet to teach Neo, such as "Machines", or "Agents", prior to his extraction from the Matrix.
* Opening music is now "Codestream" from MXO.
* Spliced behind the scenes footage into Trinity's escape scene, trimmed some gunfire.
* Replaced music for Trinity's escape with "Running in the City" by Space
* Constructed a new opening credit sequence from the trailer, intercut with Neo sleeping at his computer. It is set to "Robo S" from mxo.
* Neo's transaction is now scored with "Grill", also from MXO.
* Replaced the Rob Zombie music with "Bash", from MXO.
* Cut establishing shot of Metacortex building.
* Neo's meeting with his boss is now accompanied by "DjZion N", from MXO
* Neo no longer drops the cell phone - he throws it away. This is the first of several changes that I hope will make him a much less likeable hero.
* Recut the interrogation. Smith insists that Morpheus is a dangerous man, and appeals to Neo's conscience. This prompts him to give the finger.
* Added behind the scenes audio - Neo: **** you man. **** you.
* Smith offers Neo a clean slate - he accepts the deal.
* Spliced in behind the scenes footage of the interrogation, and introduced some continuity errors regarding wardrobe.
* The Agents gleefully plant the bug in their willing victim.
* Changed much of Morpheus's dialogue up through the extraction - he is very dissapointed in Neo until he takes the Red Pill.
* Recut bug removal to avoid any CGI or elaborate props.
* Recut Red Pill scene and altered dialogue. Morpheus alternates between urging Neo to take it, and asking him to reconsider. After he's made his choice, he implies that it was the wrong one.
* Replaced the melting mirror with incomplete effects shots.
* Neo's extraction is now almost 100% behind the scenes footage and incomplete FX. Music has been changed to "Character Creation" from MXO.
* Cut rebuilding Neo's muscles.
* Morpheus claims that the Real World is the distant future of 1999.
* Left in the Neb's plaque, creating a continuity error with the previous change.

Unmask? you mean you are someone i know? Olivia is that you?

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
matrixgrindhouse said:
* All footage is interlaced
OUCH!!! Please don't do that! Downgrade the footage in any way you want but that. I just can't watch it. It hurts!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll be sure to make a deinterlaced version as well. The blurring should still be sufficient, I think.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My workprint of the first half hour is complete... now I just need to figure out where/how to upload it.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Upload to Megaupload - it doesn't cost you anything.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds interesting :)
(but not a fan of the interlaced looking picture too)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TMBTM said:
Sounds interesting :)
(but not a fan of the interlaced looking picture too)

^^^^ What he said.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
i'm open-minded on the interlace. the point is to make it look distressed. curious how it would look.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm uploading the workprint now. Unless I get a huge amount of interlace supporters after this, all future versions will be de-interlaced. That way they'll have some blur and loss of detail, but shouldn't be as hard on the eyes.

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My interest is piqued! Let us know when it is uploaded. ;-)

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Certainly. Megaupload estimates that it'll be another 3.5 hours, though. On that note, is a ~600 megabyte file for half an hour of footage in standard definition reasonable? Or am I overdoing it with the bitrate?

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks. I really appreciate all of the help. I can't wait to hear what you all will have to say about the actual video.

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The workprint is uploaded. I'm not entirely certain if I can post the link - I know linking to full fanedits isn't allowed, but I couldn't find anything about partials.

Top Bottom