• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Superman: Son of Jor-El by Jelio & L8wrtr

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original Film Name: Superman The Movie & Superman II The Richard Donner Cut
Film Studio Name: Paramount
Film Release date: 1978 & 1980/2006
Original Runtime: 143 minutes / 115 minutes
New Runtime: 153 minutes
Ammount of time cut/added: 105 minutes cut

INTENTION:The first half of Superman The Movie is epic and beautiful while sadly the second half spirals into camp. Lex Luthor, though brilliantly performed by Gene Hackman, is reduced to a comedic schemer with bumbling henchmen. Even worse the time-travel fixes-everything ending is clumsy, poorly executed and is really a WTF moment in movie cinema. Jor-El warns of dire consequences, yet Superman seems to get everything he wants without penalty.

Superman II had fulfilled the arc set-up by the first movie, but was butchered by Richard Lester and again was saddled with the slapstick of Lex Luthor bickering with Miss Teschmacher. Even the vastly superior Richard Donner Cut, while eliminating many horrible moments created by Lester, relied upon the Deus ex machina time-travel ending which results in the unsatisfying conclusion to everything that happened.

This edit strips out the entire Lex Luthor plot-line from the Superman The Movie portion and melds the two movies into a single narrative arc which has always been at the heart of the two movies from their inception. Relying on the restored Donner footage, this new story heavily focuses on the relationship between Jor-El and Kal-El. Kal-El struggles to find his place on Earth, and reconcile his personal needs and emotions with the expectations given to him by his father. But most importantly, this movie ends with our characters fulfilling their journey. No turning-back the clock, no memory-wipes. Fina

EDITING DETAILS & CUTLIST:
This edit is based on a work-print created by Jelio. The key to making this combination of both movies into a single and compelling story (that clocks in well under 3 hours) is in how Jor-El's enemies are freed from the phantom zone. Rather than constructing elaborate subplots of Lex Luthor wanting land, or terrorists in France, Jelio conceived simply to have Superman hurl a malfunctioning missile into space. The solution is simple elegantly eliminates everything that happens after Lois' date with Superman

With the major hurdle resolved Jelio inter-cut the relevant portions of Superman II into the transitioning section between I and II. Starting with a scene-for-scene reproduction of his work-print, I worked closely with Jelio creating several versions of this edit. Throughout the editing process we bounced ideas off each other as to the best ways to minimize or eliminate camp, strengthen characters, and overall, create a movie that best-suited both of our sensibilities regarding Superman. It was a truly collaborative effort in determining the best way to fit this puzzle together.

This edit primarily uses footage from
- Superman The Movie, the extended Donner version
- Superman II The Richard Donner Cut

But also uses brief footage from:
- Superman IV: Quest for Peace (missile footage)
- Superman Returns (Planet Krypton)

CUTLIST:

This list is in no way comprehensive as many elements were moved around to make the flow as smooth as possible, but this represents the bulk of what happened. Unless noted otherwise, all footage is from the Donner versions of 1 and 2.
Starting with Superman The Movie

- Delete opening credits
- Swap out establishing shot of red sun and Krypton with Superman Returns establishing shot
- Slightly re-cut Destruction of Krypton/Kal-El's escape to remove Jor-El and Lara's running around, improve pacing and move baby Kal-El's escape as far back as possible to be closer to the destruction of Krypton
- New title sequence inter-cut with Kal-El's journey to Earth (no Jor-El voice-over).
- Delete'Lois Lane' reference inside the train (how old she supposed to be?)
- Restored theatrical version of Martha Kent in the morning setting breakfast.
- Delete all Otis/Lex/Teschmacher footage.
- Trim Clark going to elevator to remove rudeness of his co-workers
- Trim helicopter accident to improve pacing
- Trim cops and robbers chase through Metropolis, scene picks up with Superman seeing shoot-out on the pier.
- Delete Air Force One sequence
- Delete cat rescue sequence
- Insert heavily modified sequence of Superman hurling a malfunctioning missile test into space and freeing the Kryptonians from the phantom zone (uses footage from STM as well as both Donner and Lester footage of S2)
- Cut to Superman in FOS from extended STM version.
- Cut to Perry Demanding interview with Lois, scene runs normal.
- Cut to mission control from S2
- Trim out all Kryptonians talking to Astronauts in space, run to Zod throwing Soviet into space
- Cut to Lois waiting for Superman from STM
- Trim flying sequence; no Statue of Liberty, no falling, no spoken-word 'Can you read my mind?', conclude with Lois leaving for date with Clark.
- Cut to S2 footage exterior of Daily Planet (this picks up after Donner version has Kryptonians freed)
- Brief insert of STM newspaper headline "Night I Spent with Superman" while we hear Perry compliment Lois on her article (real article is about Lex Luthor and Missiles but we don't see it) continue into scene of Lois figuring out who Clark's real identity.
- Delete stale joke of Clark saying Lois stepped outside.
- Cut to Zod driving toward Lunar Lander, runs through to static in Mission control
- Delete hair drier joke
- cut back to Moon, and Kryptonians discussing their new powers
- cut to establishing shot of honeymoon hideaway with audio of Clark knocking on door, run Donner version of Clark's secrete discovered scene.
- Delete reference to other events that don't exist in this edit
- Inter-cut romance story and Superman giving up his powers with Kryptonians wreaking havoc and taking the White House
- Cut to Diner scene, plays out
- Cut to Lex at White House. Trim some dialogue that is over-the-top from Lex. This scene establishes how Lex knows about Superman, he introduces himself as genius criminal, and that he's the best there is.
- Cut to trimmed version of Clark traveling to the FOS
- Remove scene of him lying on the floor after Jor-El gives him his powers back, we get the bright white and that's it.
- Cut to Daily Planet
- Trim the meeting inside Perry's office once Zod arrives, eliminate flat jokes, improve pacing
- Insert Lester version of Superman arriving "Care to step outside?"
- Trimmed and slightly rearranged battle over Metropolis using both Donner and Lester Cut to remove Statue of Liberty.
- During Zod and co. flight to FOS, insert Lex saying "NORTH! NORTH!"
- In FOS, reduce Lex's dialogue that establishes specific history between the two. He's a known criminal and that is all we know.
- Delete Superman destroying the FOS
- Use rooftop as final scene, Lois delivers final line "There he goes kid. Up up and away."
- Fade to black, transition to shot of Superman over Earth, cue John Williams.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good stuff!
Congratulations on the completion of this much anticipated edit!!

I hope that you will be uploading to multiupload as it's the fastest.
But then again, even if it takes a week to download, it will be worth it :)

tylerdurden389

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As a fan of S1 and S2 who's seen every fan edit here, I will definitely be checking out this one.

ZX22

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can't wait to view this. Been following the progress for quite some time, and I know it will be great based on L8wrtr's previous work. And I'll post I review as soon as I get done with it.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congratulations! Now get to work on Star Wars. ;)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DL is uploading at this time, SL will be up'd either tonight or tomorrow morning. AVI or DivX will be released some time next week.

I'm sad to report however that the DVD will not have a commentary track. I did my best to record one, however the first half of the movie has broad stretches without editing and I found myself having to fill this time with various thoughts on the Superman franchise, factoids and it really felt forced. Perhaps I'll come back and do one at a later date. We shall see, but for now, I apologize, you will only get:

Main feature
Alternate ending with title cards
History of Superman 1 and 2 featurette
History of Son of Jor-El featurette
Trailer

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:faint2: But you promised a commentary track! now Christmas is ruined! :Cry:

Nahh, just kiddin you. I can't wait to check out your latest enterprise. fun over the holidays. :hippie:

jelio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had a similar thought about doing a commentary track,
I have things that i would have liked to point out to the viewer and explain why we trimmed or cut such and such scene, or other ideas that we had.
But its a really long film to give commentary on, and for the moment I'm not up to the task.

However l8wrtr and I really did spend a lot of time debating the editing choices and weighing the pros and cons on things.
Always trying to find the best way to reduce camp and strengthen characters and the over all story.

We have both convinced each other on different scenes going in different directions and we both have compromised for the better i feel.

I want to take this moment to express my sincere thanks to l8wrtr for all he has done. From the beginning his showing interest in this project is what made me want to work with him. He treated me and this edit with care and with long term dedication. He is a true fan of the material and it shows. With out him this edit might never have been made. He really did a super job. Thanks so much!

ZX22

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished watching about an hour ago. It's brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Greater than the sum of its parts. The definitive Superman.

jelio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The links are up guys

go check it out

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The DL link for the cover art brings up "no cover art":-(

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
is there just the DL link? or is there a link for the NTSC single disc?

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jamiemark said:
The DL link for the cover art brings up "no cover art":-(

Maybe it's not to your taste, but I love it:

son_of_jorel_Coverart.rar

;)

jelio

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The single layer is available and is uploaded
but the links are not on the site yet

I will try to see what i can do to get the links up

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Maybe it's not to your taste, but I love it:

son_of_jorel_Coverart.rar

;)
i thought it a fine example of postmodernistic pop art which in its minimalistic approach manages to appropriate and dissimilate the entire concept of a dvd cover.
At first glance the cover seems obvious but a quick glance to the red circle will show you it touches 4 letters; A, N, T, E. Ante: a level (as of achievement or intensity) regarded especially as a goal or standard.
But it more likely refers to the Hittite hanti "opposite," or the Greek anta, anten "opposite," anti "over against, opposite. So the cover is embracing the lack of art.
But the circle implies "within" No Art Within.
subcounciously the faneditor has posted the first review on his own work
kudos. :D:p

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
i thought it a fine example of postmodernistic pop art which in its minimalistic approach manages to appropriate and dissimilate the entire concept of a dvd cover.
At first glance the cover seems obvious but a quick glance to the red circle will show you it touches 4 letters; A, N, T, E. Ante: a level (as of achievement or intensity) regarded especially as a goal or standard.
But it more likely refers to the Hittite hanti "opposite," or the Greek anta, anten "opposite," anti "over against, opposite. So the cover is embracing the lack of art.
But the circle implies "within" No Art Within.
subcounciously the faneditor has posted the first review on his own work
kudos.

tbh5-1sec.gif

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To quote Lt. Dan, "that's just perfect!"

I am contacting the blue one regarding the .info situation. Dual Layer DLC is available at .info, but SOJE did not get listed on the S page. He'll fix that as soon as he is able.

In the mean time, if you want links, let me know via PM.

Not sure what happened on the disk-art download but I cannot fix this until I get home from work, so I apologize for that screw-up.

If you know where to look besides the .info, the links are in their special place. If you don't have access but want

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jorge brought to my attention that the thread was locked. I do not know how this was done as I certainly didn't lock it (unless I was sleep-forum-browsing). Anyhow, the thread is now accessible again.

Despite the glitches with art (well played Jorge, well played) and the oddity of the links not being fully listed, I wanted to say thanks for the positive response and interest.

ZX22, I don't think any compliment can be higher for a faneditor than someone stating that your work has become their definitive version of the material, so thank you and I'm glad that you enjoyed our take on the material.

See you in the contest Jorge, you may have the spit and polish when it comes to release, but we'll see if your edit has it where it counts :) I'm coming for you old man.

Stay Thirsty My Friends!

Top Bottom