• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Super 8

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
poster.jpg

Did J.J. Abrams already start his viral marketting for the movie?
"Quite often on the Internet, random videos spread like wildfire. It can be hard to predict, but once people latch on, it’s not hard to find. A great example of this is a Louisiana news report that made the circuits on Friday. NBC 33 in Baton Rouge had a picture of some ghostly creature in the woods of Berwick (just south of the capital). However, there are now claims that the image is part of the viral campaign for Super 8. "
Swamp_Monster.jpg

Hum.. I don't know, but to me the creature from the trailer looks possibly much stronger than this "swamp monster"...

reave

Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That trailer has me super excited for the movie. Rumor has it the film is very early-Spielberg like.

I hadn't heard that that video was a viral campaign for Super 8, and I'm honestly hoping that it's not. I remember a lot of the stuff that was claimed to be viral for cloverfield, that didn't end up actually being for it.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Saw Super 8 tonight, I give it two enthusiastic thumbs up. I have several reservations, ranging from 'very minor' to 'quite annoying', but overall a good time was had.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to re-watch a bunch of late '70s/early '80s Spielberg films. :)

P.S. Make sure you're not one of those annoying twits who bolt from the cinema the minute the credits start. You'll be glad you didn't.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn, release date in france: august 3...

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Aww man, that sucks. And here I thought the two extra weeks us Aussies have to wait for Green Lantern was bad.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Green Lantern
In theaters August 10. (France)

:(

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought the interactive trailer that came with Portal 2 was pretty neat.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought it was okay, but the more I think about it, the less I like about it. The monster bit is just a very poor thought out and implemented part of the movie. The kids on the other hand are great, and there's a nice feeling nostalgia for a good portion of the movie. It's just unfortunate that the monster bit was such a failure.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some of my reservations certainly come from that part of the film, but I'm curious...what specifically was poorly thought out for you?

(Maybe spoiler space would be good too.) :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
on the fence about this one, but its the only movie out/due out that peaked my interest.
so i gather from this thread that if i dug 80's speilberg films I'll likely dig super 8?

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The location of the train crash. Why the teacher would do it right outside of his town as opposed to anywhere else in the country. Was it possible to do it somewhere with less people? The teacher apparently didn't care about the risk to the people to do what he did.

I don't think it was wise to try and make a creature that eats town folk sympathetic, even if he did suffer at the hands of the military and just wanted to go home.

The water tower thing wasn't clear, and not sure why it was necessary exactly. (though I think he created a machine to bring all the cubes together with a magnetic field) I question why the magnetic field pulled away some metal stuff, but not others (some guys guns, but not all, etc.). I question what the deal with the locket was. Sure it's a nice touch for the kid to symbolize letting his mother go, but what did it have to do with the machine? It sure seemed like it was the last piece to get everything to come together for whatever reason.

The connections with the monster...surely the monster could have figured out from any of the others that they all weren't out to harm him and they all have difficulties too (we know for sure the girl has problems going on in s similar vain to the Joe). So, why only when he connected with Joe did he stop and go home. And why is he still out collecting people if he's got everything he needs to go home (assuming the stuff under the tower is what he needed for that).

Also, this point (which I borrowed this text from someone's review since I'm lazy):

Because the kids have no effect on the story, not the military’s interference in the accident clean up, not the finale, etc., etc. If you took the kids out of the movie, the outcome would be exactly the same. The Super 8 reel that they are so excited to see makes no difference with regards to their behavior either, so it’s almost as if the entire movie is a MacGuffin.

There's other little things too, not to mention that it doesn't feel like it belongs with the rest of the movie (at least more towards the end, earlier when there is still some mystery about it, it's okay).

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw this movies (out this week in france).
I was very pleased with it. The kids are great, the "E.T/Goonies" nostalgia trip was nice.
I agree that the kids do almost nothing regarding the main Army/monster plot.
On this matter it's more like War of the worlds than E.T: people reacting, more than people making the story progrees.
The story is more a way to show the characters development and it's okay with me.

About your concern aobout the locket, Kevinicus:
I did not feel it was "the last piece to get everything to come together", or at least not for the making of the spaceship.
Again more like the last piece to get everthing come together regarding character development, as you said by "symbolize letting his mother go". It's just a coincidence that is not realistic (locket gone/spaceship flying away) but that show what the movie is about (letting things go).

It was the exact movie I thought it would be. And so I was not disapointed at all.
Maybe sometimes I like to be more suprised by movies, but for this kind of homage movie I felt it was good.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loved the movie, a perfect children's movie in the best possible way

Dreamsnake

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello fellow Super 8 Fans!

My favorite part of Super 8 has always been the first act where it's simply a movie about kids making a movie on their summer vacation. Given that there's not enough footage in the film to make a full fan edit film, about kids making a movie, I thought I'd cut a trailer instead. 

I spent a lot of time working on this and I'm quite happy with and proud of how it came out. 

I'd love to hear general thought and impressions, but I really just want to share it with folks who like the movie and like coming of age movies.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi @"Dreamsnake". Is this an active project you are working on? The Special Projects & Shorts area is for finished projects by approved editors. If this is a project you are working on we can move it to ITW or I can merge it with the Super 8 movie thread.

Dreamsnake

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Hi @"Dreamsnake". Is this an active project you are working on? The Special Projects & Shorts area is for finished projects by approved editors. If this is a project you are working on we can move it to ITW or I can merge it with the Super 8 movie thread.

My bad! This is a project that I actually finished over the summer and am no longer working on, just wanting to share it with people who may have an interest. 

If you're able to move it to the Super 8 thread that would be great. Thank you and apologies for posting in the incorrect forum.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Dreamsnake", I've merged your other thread with the movie thread so people can see your trailer you made for it.

Top Bottom