If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Private Messages
A user by the name of Swals075 has sent private messages to several users over the last couple of months regarding a survey for class. As this user has no posts in the forums and is potentially spamming people we have demoted his account to a Moderated User. All NEWLY registered users will not be able to PM members until they have made at least five posts to the forums.

If you have received this PM we advice you not to participate until we can further evaluate the legitimacy of it. If you have received a PM from this user and have not reported it, please PM me. I'd like to get a count of how many people have been contacted.
I apologize for any trouble I may have caused. And I apologize to those users who I may have bothered with my private messages. But I can assure you that my actions are a part of data collection for a legitimate project at an accredited university. In every message I sent, I attached a consent form that proved as much. You can actually see this document here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=e...OGU0&hl=en

I'm a student and still learning how to properly conduct research. And in hindsight, I should have asked permission from moderators/administrators of this site before inviting participants. But as I said, I'm in the midst of a learning process, so I hope you all can be forgiving.

I can assure that my intentions were pure and honest. The reason I have no posts on this forum is because I have never participated in fan editing, nor do I know much about it. I've only seen a small handful of edits, which I have enjoyed. Therein lies the impetus for my study: to explore the internet phenomenon of fan editing. More specifically, I'm interesting in gaining an academic understanding of why fan editors participate in such a practice and also, the moral economy of the practice (justifications, internal norms and values, etc.)

Again, I apologize for any trouble I may have caused. And if admins approve for my study, I still need more participants and would appreciate any help. However, if they don't and they want to leave, I will.
Thank you for responding publicly. The main concern was that you joined the site in early Nov. and promptly started private messaging people. While I don't think anyone here wants to prevent someone from their schooling, this day in age with spam running rampant I hope you can appreciate where our concern comes from. We want to protect our members and our community. If you had been an active member of the forum, or had contact an administrator (as you suggested) prior to PMing people it probably wouldn't have been an issue. I'll reinstate your PMing privileges as members can read your comments here and decide if they would like to participate.
I completely understand where you're coming from and you're concerns were more than justified. I'm sorry for causing a disruption, but I thank you for being so understanding.

I'm also sorry to those users who I have annoyed. With that said, I will state for the last time that I am still in need of only a few more participants. If interested PM me and I'll send you a few open ended interview questions to answer. Although, I am starting to run out of time with this project, so time is of the essence.

Thank you for your time.
Making a thread about it could work.
People could jump in and put their 2 cents in...

Also, it sounds like the finished paper could make for an interesting article on the main website.
Yeah I got one but I've done sod all about it as work suddenly got very busy this last two weeks, I'll try to get my answers in soon.
'Today a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves'

Bill

Guybrush: Im looking for 30 dead guys and one woman.
Cannibal: I dont want to hear anymore about it.

Ahhh The Cuttlefish & Asparagus or The Vanilla Paste?
-Chinese guy
I would be interested in reading the paper as well. If it's good, I like the idea of posting it as a news item.
I'd be happy to share it once it's done and marked. However, it is aimed at a more general audience; mostly for people who are unfamiliar with fan editing. So it might be boring to some of you since you're obviously all pretty familiar with the practice. But I am also connecting the topic to work of such popular culture theorists as Henry Jenkins and John Fiske, so that might prove interesting for some.

And I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record, but if anyone reading this is willing to participate by answering a few open ended interview questions, PM me ASAP. I only have a few days left to work on it, so the sooner the better.
I'm afraid I won't have time to participate, but I'd be quite interested to see the eventual paper. I've been reading Henry Jenkins and some excerpts of Fiske for the past several weeks for my own work; in fact, though it's not the focus of my dissertation, I have been thinking a lot about how their work intersects with fanediting.
Criticism is good. Suggestions are better.
ONGOING: Hebrides's Box o' Tutorials