• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

indie treasures

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
OK, here is a topic to post some musical gem that you have, that may not be very well know. Good place to find some new music, and maybe help some unknown bands.

Artist: The Anniversary
Album: Designing a Nervous Breakdown

B000046Q20.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_V44117444_AA240_.jpg

Recommended Track: #2 - All Things Ordinary

Cool band, unfortunately they went their seperate ways. All in all, I think that their second album, Your Majesty, was better, but they experimented more there. Your majesty definately had some earlier influences like the beatles. DANB is more of a fun album. Moog-tastic

cool thread ThrowgnCpr. Interesting band...

here is a nice album which a friend of mine gave me as a present a few years back. It?s groovy and it rocks. If you see it somewhere grab it, it?s good music...

here is a link for more information on them:
http://www.discogs.com/release/559972

cool, I'll check them out. I am always on the lookout for new good music, but I hate the radio... Same crap all the time, recycled garbage mostly. Hopefully we'll find some cool stuff with this thread

so cheers to good music & fuck that radio mainstream garbage!

this band is fairly well know as far as indie bands in the US goes (especially if you are familiar with Saddle Creek records), but I thought I would throw this out for those who have never heard of Cursive. This album is amazing, and it featured the addition of cellist Gretta Cohn.

artist: Cursive
album: The Ugly Organ

61Nz5AlY9aL._AA240_.jpg

recommended track: #2 Some Red Handed Slight Of Hand

^ Yeah, Cursive are pretty cool.

Here's a site I highly recommend.

http://www.zunior.com

If you're into Indie Music, this site is awesome. Every album costs just $8.88 and is a complete digital distribution platform for Indie artists.

The label (Zunior) keeps a small portion of the proceeds to cover cost, but I believe close to 90% of the profit goes directly back to the artist.

What does this mean? It means that an artist like Mike O'Neil can make a hell of an album:

mike_owl_100.jpg
in his bedroom, basically, and have the World hear it.

To me, it signals an important development in the distribution of Indie Music, and it makes me wonder why mainstream artists don't go this route.

Simply put, why should U2 only get $1 for every record sold when the company that releases it gets the other $10. It makes no sense.

sounds great, I will have to check this out. As far as bands who sign to major labels (and make less off of each album), they do that for a reason. For the most part, they have a sound that is more mainstream, and reachable to the general public. Signing to a major label ensures BIG time advertisement. And while they may not make more off of each record sold, the total profit in the long run is usually way more. If U2 never signed to a major label, they most likely wouldnt have the wide distribution, fame, and fan-base they have today.

bands like U2 have a sound that the general public can grab a hold of, snazzy hooks, catchy choruses, etc. A lot of artists just dont have that sound, and for good reason. A lot of indie bands, the general public just cant get into. There are exceptions however. Look at Death Cab for Cutie, and Bright Eyes. Both are getting great attention and they deserve it.

I think that more bands are moving toward a pro-tools, home-recording method, and its great. However, there will always be major labels, and bands who are just hungry for that scene. U2 and smashing pumpkins are good examples. They wanted rock stardom and distribution.

But anyway, great post cass. support the little guy!, and hear some awesome music in turn.

^ Let me know what you think. You can listen to previews of anything, and each month they have a compilation to downloaf for free.

OK, to jumpstart this again. Here is album I love by Hot Rod Circuit. They have put out a few albums since this one, but this is definately my favorite

71636.jpg

Artist: Hot Rod Circuit
Album: If it's coll with you it's cool with me
Recommended track: #9 - Flight 89 (North American)

Since you are a connoisseur of the fine music taste I will definitely check them out (have my droogie boys already sweeping the record stores :) I?ll give my feedback when they?re back...)

now one from me:

The Spermbirds!

one of the greatest punk/hardcore bands on the planet. German band with american singer. very funny and intelligent guy called Lee Hollis. I had the chance to talk to him after some of their concerts back in the early nineties. I have all their records on vinyl and just recently found them in the great wide open of the web...

Greatest albums: ?something to prove? & ?common thread? (if you find the ?eating glass?record... it sure is a great album)

here is some cover artwork:

spermbirdsvo0.jpg

spermbirds2xs8.jpg

if you can get your hands on some of their records: buy them! That?s an order!!!

:)

sir yes sir, i trust your fine taste in tunes (regardless of what boon says :) ) I try to get my hands on some of their stuff

i don't know if many of you know about Spoon. they've had a minor hit or 2. but nothing big. they are about as big as an indie band can get while still remaining essentially indie.... take a listen to their upcoming album... cool indie pop/rock.

http://www.mergerecords.com/gagagajuke/

hey indie fans! I?m in desperate search of a band from which I once heard some great songs including one of the best instrumentals ever done in hardcore/indie. The band is called ?Trans Am? and goes back to the early nineties. The great instrumental I heard was called something like ?Flight...? and a number. I couldn?t find it anywhere in the internet and I wasn?t at any second hand market for ages...

if somebody knows where to obtain something of that band (not that electronic band with the same name!) please give me a pm...

shit, I am pretty sure I used to have some of their stuff on my old computer. but alas it died. dammit. i dont think i have a hard copy anymore. i will have to dig around a bit for you. they were cool

ThrowgnCpr said:
shit, I am pretty sure I used to have some of their stuff on my old computer. but alas it died. dammit. i dont think i have a hard copy anymore. i will have to dig around a bit for you. they were cool

yep they were. Dude, that would be really great if you?d find something. Really TC, if you were a girl i would probably demand nudes pics of you soon...

hahaha. I'll try to find it for you (the album, not my nude photos) ;)

ThrowgnCpr said:
hahaha. I'll try to find it for you (the album, not my nude photos) ;)

thank god you got that right! :)

speaking of indie treasures...

remember back in the days? The Accused ?Martha Splatterhead maddest stories ever told?. Whatisit? Midschool hardcore i guess...

Although my wife finds them rather embarrassing i like that the singer sounds like a tortured cat...

Back
Top Bottom