• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Guitar FX Pedals

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Howdy,
I'm currently looking into buying some FX pedals. Budget is a factor (nothing over £100) but I also want analog pedals.

So far I'm warming to these.
MXR - Carbon Coby Delay
MXR - Micro Flanger
Electro Harmonix - Small Stone Phaser
Electro Harmonix - Small Clone Chorus

I've already got a Boss Dual Overdrive & Original Wah Wah pedal.

But I'm wobbling on the MXR - Micro Flanger as the MXR M117 Flanger is considered to be the standard but is out of my price range & I'm not sure whether the Micro is up to the job. So does anyone know of a compact analog Flanger under £100 that's any good?

Also, I'm not sure on the Electro Harmonix - Small Stone Phaser. It seems the "Nano" version is the only one out at the moment. Does anyone know if that's true? Cause I'd love to get the original.

To non-guitarists I'm sure what I'm saying sounds dorky & ever so slightly perverted & for that I apologise :) . I have to admit saying the words Micro Flanger still makes me snigger, one day I will grow up, just not any day soon. :lol:

:rockon:

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I always liked these two, ibanez cf7 and de7...

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah I was considering Ibanez, especially over Boss or Marshal pedals. In the end I opted for the larger MXR 117 Flanger & the Electro Harmonix - Small Stone Phaser. It turns out the Small Stone was discontinued so I'm kinda lucky to get my mits on it.

But I had to get the Small Clone as I love that chorus effect. Kurt Cobain used it on Come As You & it only cose £55 so I can't grumble.
kurt-cobain.jpg

& Jonny Greenwood used the rare Small Stone on Paranoid Android & Flake Plastic Trees I think so again it seemed to make sense as I love that sound.

jonny-greenwood-gear2.jpg

I'll post a pic of my FX Box once it's up & running.

Who needs the Honeys and Hotties section? lol

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FatherMerrin said:
Who needs the Honeys and Hotties section? lol

I do dammit!!!!

I want that poly chorus too btw, looks real spiffy.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my friend and guitarist in the band I was in likes the small stone. he has a nano. here's a shot of his board (that I built) with the effects he's been using. He also seems to really like that Russian made Big Muff pi.

DSC06628.JPG

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like the big muff too, or i did...until i plugged in the wrong adaptor:Cry: :deadhorse:

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
I do dammit!!!!

lmfao!

Rogue-theX said:
I want that poly chorus too btw, looks real spiffy.

Yeah, I had to order the adaptors yesterday & they got here today so I'm gonna have a play over the weekend hopefully.

ThrowgnCpr said:
my friend and guitarist in the band I was in likes the small stone. he has a nano. here's a shot of his board (that I built) with the effects he's been using. He also seems to really like that Russian made Big Muff pi.

Sweet:biggrin:

Rogue-theX said:
I like the big muff too, or i did...until i plugged in the wrong adaptor

O no! I'm defintely gonna colour coded my pedals and adaptors as that MXR Flanger is 18v & I know I'm gonna put it in the wrong pedal unless I mark them up.

Below is the board. :rockon: All I need now is a Bass Synthesizer & I'm done. My local shop has a £70 Boss SYB-5 so I might go with that. But I'm gonna check out the Ibanez SB7 first.

img0055ap.jpg

do_not_spit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Avoid blowing up these beautiful toys, VOODOO LABS Pedal Power! (no i don't work for voodoo labs!)

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol

It's all good power wise. The Boss Case has it's own built in power supply and the non boss pedals came with their own indivdual adapters. I'm actually recording my debut album in spring (hopefully) so I can't wait to hear these pedals in all their glory!

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This one is fun, Behringer TM300 tube amp modeler, 'specially the tweed setting. Lots of overdrive/distortion tones to mess with. Only just got it but I really like it so far.
H85700000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Hoping I can get a few more pedals some time in the future, tremolo, fuzz, spring reverb, maybe a compressor.

edit: BUMP! (do we still say bump?)

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you are willing to go used you can get some great pedals for under $100. I don't really use much in terms of fx, but these are my main pedals. The rest I just use a PODHD 500.

Boss Digital Reverb
[img=175x300]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81CvzoArupL._SY741_.jpg[/img]

Ibanez Stereo Chorus
[img=200x200]https://www.modulargrid.net/img/modcache/12758.f.jpg[/img]

Boss Octave
oc2_main.jpg

Proco Rat
[img=175x200]https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/...5b3eaab/images/items/750/Rat2-large.jpg[/img]

Lines DL4
[img=400x200]https://media.sweetwater.com/api/i/...c/images/items/750/DL4Modeler-large.jpg[/img]

John Scofield nails my idea of tone so these pretty much help me get that sound in terms of fx. I think all of these were under $200 total.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
200$ all together? Or 200 each?

I think the most expensive will be the spring reverb, the cheap pedals don't do it right, the danelectro spring king looks like what I'm after, the others will be budget pedals like the one I just got.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m really not a huge gear head. I have my gear that I’m happy with and know how to dial in. I play through a silverface Deluxe Reverb and use it’s on board reverb which is nice. For a pedal I might look at the Strymon Big Sky. 

For a compressor it really depends on what you’re looking for from  a compressor. I’ve had a Keeley Compressor for almost two decades and it does what’s I want it to.

You really need to play this stuff though. I find that for the vast majority of people listening they will never know the difference. For me, it’s about the feel and how it affects my playing.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah. The DL4 was $20 at a Goodwill. I'm always looking for deals though.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dig, I had no idea you were so awesome. Anyone who likes the proco Rat gets ten brownie points. And you own one. 

My only pedals I used consistently were a tuner and a footswitch for my Marshall solid state head. It has a built in reverb/echo effect I liked to switch on for some parts.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The input jack washer came off so it's been sitting mostly. I tend to just use a vintage Yamaha g-50ii amp straight. It has an amazing spring reverb and after messing with the on board eq, setting the distortion channel just at the edge of breakup and picking/plucking right at the bridge I can get that stanky Scofield sound that usually comes from the rat. There's something special though about rats :)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
The input jack washer came off so it's been sitting mostly. I tend to just use a vintage Yamaha g-50ii amp straight. It has an amazing spring reverb and after messing with the on board eq, setting the distortion channel just at the edge of breakup and picking/plucking right at the bridge I can get that stanky Scofield sound that usually comes from the rat. There's something special though about rats :)

Though I love Sco, I’ve never wanted his tone. I prefer a creamier overdrive, smooth and mids heavy. One thing I’ll say if you’re chasing his tone is that he picks unusually close to the bridge.  That accounts for a lot of the distinctiveness of his sound. Though I don’t have a Rat, I did do one solo of a recent demo I did with his tone very much in mind as it’s a jazzy funky blues fusion thing. The second solo I went back to my normal tone and it reinforces for me that, while it’s great for Sco, it’s not for me.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moe_Syzlak said:
For a compressor it really depends on what you’re looking for from  a compressor.

I read that a compressor can help to get the wet/drippy sounds from a spring reverb unit, I want to record something of a spacey 60s surf/biker/instrumental rock album/ep.

Seems theres more guitarists on this site than I thought  :cool:

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The only pedal I use is a pevey wah pedal because I'm one of those awful kids who uses a digital Amp and I use the built in distortion, compression, reverb, chorus and delay (as well as a multitude of other options I don't touch) so all I needed was a wah pedal. I know that's not the ideal way to go but it does sound pretty good ( I have the biggest peavey vypyr you can get and it actually does sound good even if it's not authentic to anything) but don't let that give you the wrong idea I really am quite good, but my money from my day job goes to rent, living my life etc and I live in a small town where paying gigs are sparse. But it's good enough to make good recordings.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Picked up the aural dream Purely Fuzz pedal:
518oRsQgvvL.jpg

Does the trick just right for me, not the best sensitivity for the knobs (probably down to the circuit as opposed to the knobs/pots themselves but thats okay). It also happened to be the cheapest fuzz pedal I could get.

Messed around with my ibanez de7 delay pedal and was able to get very close to a spring reverb sound but more spacey which will do nicely so I don't think I'll bother getting the expensive danelectro spring reverb pedal and now I am thinking of how I can improve my home made slinky+speaker reverb unit, now that the dissappointment of the unit turning out to be too noisy has abated. I was using a piezo contact mic on one end of the slinky with the other end of the slinky attached to the speaker, made the right effect but the peizo and the amp I used to drive the speaker made too much hum, I think I could replace the amp with another one from somewhere and use a spare guitar pickup mounted next to the spring to capture the sounds, then send that to a noise gate pedal and onto an amp. Should work since the spring moves toward a magnet when in proximity.

Top Bottom