• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For those of you who haven't seen the new trailer for part 1 of DH:

I'm trying not to get too excited, but I can't help it!!

Weasly wedding AND Dobby!

I knew Dobby would be in it again, as they tried to cut Kreacher out of OotP, but Rowling wouldn't have it, simply stating that the house elves had a crucial role in the final book (before DH was published).

But I was totally expecting to have the wedding story nixed after what they added in Half-blood Prince.

These are good signs. :)

My major problem with HP6 was the cuts and pacing. The acting, effects, color and everything were amazing. Since they have 2 films to play with for the final book, I am going to be optimistic.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This gives me the opportunity to get a wee something off my chest... a prequel to my modest deconstruction of Book Six's plot:

Harry Potter Year 4 1/2: The Summer it All goes to Crap

Dumbledore (to everyone): Unfortunately, Voldemort is back. He killed Cedric.
Harry (clearing throat): Right, well, you heard the Headmaster. So, let's all buckle up, buckle down...
Fudge: Er, just a moment.
Harry: Yes?
Fudge: I don't believe you.
Harry: Ha?
Fudge: I don't believe Voldemort's back.
Harry: That's crazy. I saw him.
Fudge: Rita Skeeter says you might have been hallucinating.
Harry: You trust anything that bimbo writes? How stupid are you?
Fudge: Maybe you had a nightmare.
Harry: But Cedric's actually dead.
Fudge: He could have been killed in the Triwizard maze.
Harry: By something that doesn't leave any marks? Look, this is asinine. Give me veritaserum and a pensieve, and you can all see what happened.
Fudge: But if you were hallucinating, you'd think you were being truthful.
Harry: Okay, look. Wormtail removed a bone from one of Riddle's ancestor's graves. I can show you which one, and you can examine the incomplete skeleton.
Fudge: Doesn't prove anything. You could have done it during Spring Break or something. Or maybe Dumbledore did it.
Harry: Why the fuck would Professor Dumbledore do something like that?
Fudge: To deprive me of my position, of course.
Harry: Okay, so veritaserum him, and you'll see -
Fudge: Dumbledore is a very resourceful wizard, and -
Harry: Oh, shut up. I want to speak with the opposition leader: maybe he won't be brain-dead, and we can hold a public debate, vote on holding an inquiry...
Fudge: Speak with the who?
Harry: The opposition leader. You know, as in a parliamentary rival? From another party? Someone who might believe Dumbledore and I, and challenge you on the facts of the situation?
Fudge: A "parliament", like those backward Muggles have? I'm not sure if we have one.
Harry: ...
Fudge: ...
Harry: What do you mean, you're "not sure if we have one"?!
Fudge: Rowling never mentions one. Nor does she ever indicate how Ministers of Magic actually get the job.
Harry: You can't be serious. She once spent a whole chapter describing Quidditch. She wrote a bleeding spin-off book describing Quidditch teams from around the world. You're saying she couldn't be arsed to even mention whether or not there's a Wizard legislature?
Fudge: Politics is boring; sports is fun. Everyone knows that.
Harry: If it's so boring, then why do I meet the Minister of Magic several times, and in dramatic circumstances?
Fudge: Well, that's different. JK likes to capitalize on the glamor of having her boy hero meet politicians without so much as referring to such basic societal constructs as a parliament.
Harry: Wow, that's cynical. Could she get any more craven?
Fudge: Sure. Did you know that my refusal to believe that Voldemort is back is a direct, publicly acknowledged reference to Neville Chamberlain's failure to confront Hitler?
Harry: You're not serious.
Fudge: I totally am.
Harry: Sweet Gandalf, that's a preposterous analogy. Though it's true that the British government concealed the extent to which Germany was re-arming, no one had thought that the country's capacity for warfare had just vanished, Voldemort style. I mean, do you know what what Chamberlain's principal error was?
Fudge: No.
Harry: *sigh*, of course not. Well, his principal error was to try and appease Hitler, to buy a British peace by selling out helpless allies. Are you trying to appease Voldemort?
Fudge: Of course not; I just don't think that he's back. Because we couldn't have meaningful parallels to appeasement without somewhere mentioning the structure of government, now could we?
Harry: Exactly. That's what makes the analogy so infantile.
Fudge: Well, what's your point?
Harry: My point is that it's lousy and lazy storytelling to detail a whole wizarding world with countess of arcane tidbits, and repeatedly trade on the glamor of meeting heads of state, but never once mention whether or not this particular society is in any way democratic. My point is that when JK has her smartest young witch try to launch a political campaign, but then tacitly belittles that character's effort while going into minute details of sporting matches, she sides against her own (alleged) values in order to sell the maximum possible books to the lowest common denominator. My point is that the whole conceit of the fifth book is crap, that the internationalism promised in the fourth book goes exactly nowhere, and that the genuinely colorful and inventive saga teased by the first four volumes devolves into a lumpen ordeal of pointless camping trips, a dull-as-rocks final battle and an imagination-screwing epilogue whose character pairings could not possibly have been any more trite.
Fudge: Oh.
Harry: Yeah.
Fudge (after a pause): You're still resenting losing Hermione to Ron, aren't you?
Harry: Have you frigging seen her lately?!

END OF BOOK 4 1/2

If you've read this far, you may not be surprised to hear I won't be seeing either DH in the cinemas at least... :)

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
awesome. first response wayyyyyyy off track. way to go gaith.

and by awesome I mean...

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, for some more Hallows-specific criticism, I heartily recommend the following articles by one Daniel Hemmons...

Afterword on his HP7 review
Potter and Calvinism
Dumbledore: being gay is fine... but it really messes you up.

Now, I'm not trying to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the post-4 series, but... well, yes, actually, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. My apologies. But not really. ;)

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
First Harry Potter film I've gotten genuinely excited for in a while.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm always excited. but I have good feeling about this one :)

interestingly, I found this comparison between the early trailer (last year) and one of the recent versions. Funny that there is actually more color in the newer one. Also an obvious tone down on blood.

changed.JPG

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gaith said:
Well, for some more Hallows-specific criticism, I heartily recommend the following articles by one Daniel Hemmons...

Afterword on his HP7 review
Potter and Calvinism
Dumbledore: being gay is fine... but it really messes you up.

Now, I'm not trying to spoil anyone's enjoyment of the post-4 series, but... well, yes, actually, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. My apologies. But not really. ;)

I remember reading those reviews back then when i was really disappointed with HP7 and yes this guy nails everything wrong with the seventh book, i really hate it

yet i am so hyped for the movie - i'm sure this will be the first hp movie where the movie is way better than the book

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I'm always excited. but I have good feeling about this one :)

interestingly, I found this comparison between the early trailer (last year) and one of the recent versions. Funny that there is actually more color in the newer one. Also an obvious tone down on blood.

changed.JPG

The blood is because they had to remove it for an officially released trailer. The first one was only online and on the DVD/Blu-ray, it was never in theaters.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sunarep said:
I remember reading those reviews back then when i was really disappointed with HP7 and yes this guy nails everything wrong with the seventh book, i really hate it

yet i am so hyped for the movie - i'm sure this will be the first hp movie where the movie is way better than the book
No, that was HP5; the book was terrible and the movie was mediocre. ;)

I'm genuinely fascinated to see what the reviews of Part One will look like... I suspect that Ebert, who rated film five only 2/4 stars, will not be pleased...

EyeShotFirst

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I plan on watching the 2D version. I hope it doesn't detract from the experience.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
if it does, then the movie will suck. You shouldnt have to rely on 3D to carry a movie. I will be seeing the 2D as well. :)

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loved the book, hopefully will love the movie. So glad they broke it up into two movies. It would have sucked as one.

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's a faithful adaptation of Book 7.

Yeah, it'll suck. :razz:

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Funny how with each movie they say that the new one is the darkest and adult, while all I see are kids with magicians sticks waving their hands and people saying "Harry...... POTTER??!!!"
:D

More seriously I'll go see this one in theater. Of course.

Sunarep

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well up till now they even kept their promises.... Potter 6 had some pretty “scary“ scenes and with book.seven i can see why they might be true again.
But its really amusing reading how daaaaaark potter is. Kinda like the annual "this is the best saw yet" from the producers

Top Bottom