If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Welcome to the New Fanedit.org Forum! (again...)
TV's Frink Wrote:Complaint already? Read on...

However...and it's a big however...I can't figure out how to configure things so I have "unread posts" noted or marked somewhere. As soon as I log out, any "new posts" are set to "old posts" and I can't tell what the last post was that I read, nor is there a way to quick link to the first unread post in the thread. Am I just missing something here? I sure hope so. Please help :???:

Why would you log out?
You've never been on a computer other than your home one?
Gaith Wrote:Help! InfoDroid's mailbox is full, and I can't PM him! Smile

He needs to clean some PM's out then. Tongue

Have you tried e-mailing him?
TV's Frink Wrote:However...and it's a big however...I can't figure out how to configure things so I have "unread posts" noted or marked somewhere. As soon as I log out, any "new posts" are set to "old posts" and I can't tell what the last post was that I read, nor is there a way to quick link to the first unread post in the thread. Am I just missing something here? I sure hope so. Please help :???:

I'm not following 100% but what I think you're saying is that once you've looked at a thread with new posts, and then you log off, the next time you log in the thread no longer shows up as having new posts. Is that right? If so, I assume vB thinks that once you've looked at the thread you've read the posts thus there are no longer new posts.

OR... are you talking about showing the newest posts when a thread pops up in What's New/New Posts so you don't have to scroll? If that's what you're talking about there is a button to the right of the topic title. Click on that and it will take you to the latest posts.
TV's Frink Wrote:"Save search preferences" is near the bottom of the advanced search page. Also, you can go to any user's profile page and search just their posts.

There's an even easier way. In a thread click the users name and you'll get a drop down with some options. One is "View Forum Posts".
thunderclap Wrote:I'm not following 100% but what I think you're saying is that once you've looked at a thread with new posts, and then you log off, the next time you log in the thread no longer shows up as having new posts. Is that right? If so, I assume vB thinks that once you've looked at the thread you've read the posts thus there are no longer new posts.

OR... are you talking about showing the newest posts when a thread pops up in What's New/New Posts so you don't have to scroll? If that's what you're talking about there is a button to the right of the topic title. Click on that and it will take you to the latest posts.
Here's what I mean...on the old software, I would log in and see all the unread posts. Any threads I didn't open would remain as "unread" even if I logged out and then logged in again later. Now, because it's "new posts" rather than "unread posts," all posts are marked as old as soon as I log out, even if I don't go into those threads. Which makes it difficult to tell what I haven't read, and there is no longer a button to jump to the first "unread post."

Also, how do you do cascading quotes? I am quoting a post of yours that had a quote of mine in it, but only your quote shows up (mine is missing).
Actually, it's even worse. Today I never logged out, and yet threads I didn't even look at are shown as old now.

GODAMMITSOMUCH Wink
Everything is dark! Dark and foreboding. Will I like it? I'll see once I've gotten used to how things work now. Nice to see the site being cared for!
Looks like someone got the multiple banner logo idea implemented. Nice work, thunderclap (and Co.)! Confusedmile:
This one is temporary until I can get a better one working, but thank you for the words of encouragement. Smile