• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Question for Blade Runner Fans

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir, in his commentary on the Workprint (Disc 5 of the five-disc set) has this to say about the alternate voiceover at the end of the Workprint.

I have always held up this particular bit of narration... ...as a model of what the narration and voiceovers on Blade Runner could have been... ...if you'll listen to Harrison Ford's delivery.... it's far superior to the flat dull monotone that was used for the takes that were recorded for the actual theatrical cut voiceover. In other words, Harrison Ford gives it character, he gives it dignity, and he gives it sadness .... and it works.

Now, I do not think the narration at this point is much superior to the theatical cut voiceover. It is better, but not by much. If, however, you listen to the narration on the deleted scene that matches this, it sounds like another alternate reading to me, and this reading sounds like it has character, dignity and sadness. Is this really an alternate reading, or am I imagining it? The way Ford says very much in ...he loved life very much... seem noticeably different.

I also find the dove in the deleted scene to be interesting, as the angle is different.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Is this really an alternate reading, or am I imagining it?
You're not imagining it. The workprint VO has that flat, 'recording your thoughts so that you don't forget' monotone, whereas the deleted scenes version has a more emotional 'interior monologue' feel to it. (Except for the first line which still sounds like Harrison is supremely bored.) :)

As for the dove, maybe the best they could get on the day? (Prior to reshooting it later elsewhere.)

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
You're not imagining it. The workprint VO has that flat, 'recording your thoughts so that you don't forget' monotone, whereas the deleted scenes version has a more emotional 'interior monologue' feel to it. (Except for the first line which still sounds like Harrison is supremely bored.) :)
Thanks for the confirmation, UA! :) I wondered what Sammon was talking about when he said that on the commentary, which I listened to for the first time recently. When I heard the voiceover on the deleted scene I wondered if that was what he had in mind and the wrong audio had been included on the workprint or something lol!

I think you must be right about the dove. The workprint version of the dove is the same as the Director's Cut version, apart from the fact that the sky is far bluer in the Director's cut version -- as is the whole color palette. While I appreciate the reworked Final Cut dove, I wish the sky were blue in that too. I know that the blue sky does not fit the surroundings, but it has always worked for me because of that. I feel the same way about the Director's Cut unicorns compared to the Final Cut unicorns. Recompositing the sky of the Final Cut dove scene to be blue but keeping the buildings the same would be ideal for me.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Recompositing the sky of the Final Cut dove scene to be blue but keeping the buildings the same would be ideal for me.

I second that. Awesome idea captain :D .

Top Bottom