• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Batman: Under The Hood by BUTHFE

buthfe

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Batman: Under The Hood (FANEDIT)
by BUTHFE

what is this fanedit about: Batman faces his ultimate challenge as the mysterious Red Hood takes Gotham City by firestorm. One part vigilante, one part criminal kingpin, Red Hood begins cleaning up Gotham with the efficiency of Batman, but without following the same ethical code. Killing is an option. And when the Joker falls in the balance between the two, hard truths are revealed and old wounds are reopened.

original film name: Batman: Under The Red Hood
new film name: Batman: Under The Hood
film studio name: Warner Premiere
Date Original Film Was Released: 27 July 2010
Date Edit Was Released: 22 August 2010
Original Runtime: 75-minutes, 49-seconds
New Runtime: 69-minutes, 22-seconds
Amount of time Cut/Added: Cut: 6-minutes, 27-seconds

Intention (why did you do it): This was an amazing film for so many reasons, yet there are two things that bother me about the original film; the fact that the first few minutes completely destroyed the mystery of the story, and the very blatant exposition found in the first few minutes after the opening credits. By removing these two elements, the film has become the mystery story it was intended to be, and Batman becomes more in tune with his character; a man of action, not words.

Cuts removed/added/extended (add list of what was changed):
- Removed all elements before the opening credits (in order to maintain the mystery of the film, not because it wasn't good).
- Removed blatant exposition found in the first few minutes after the opening credits along with tightening the pace of the fight scene.

Tech Info:
- Requires XviD codec or compatible player (i.e. VLC Player) in order to watch

Download Links:
I'm new here, so don't know what the etiquette for this is, other than to say that if you Google "link talk" and go to the first result, you'll find them there.

I guess if this is all finished this might be a bit late to suggest, but I think removing the intro altogether gets rid of some good drama... It might have made for a great flashback when Ra's was talking to Bats later in the film.

i think maybe might have been a bit better if you'd been able to take the intro and spread it through the film (if possible) to keep the mystery going.

The film suffers the same fate I had, I read a review for the book that said "it helps to have read (yay) story first" and from that I was able to figure it out and I still bought the trade paperback anyway. With the film I think they knew most people who'd watch it would be bat-fans who'd already familiarised themselves with the source material so they instead shifted the focus and ignored the mystery.

I think shifting the intro into flashbacks as suggested would kind of give it a familiar feel to Mask of the Phantasm.

Omaru1982 said:
With the film I think they knew most people who'd watch it would be bat-fans who'd already familiarised themselves with the source material so they instead shifted the focus and ignored the mystery.

Agreed. Those of us who are familiar with the Bat-Books already knew the outcome.

But for those who aren't, the film pretty much ruins any chance of a surprise with the flashbacks. I guess in a perfect world, we could've seen a stand-alone movie based on "Death in the Family" and then later one based on the Red Hood storyline. But Death in the Family would have to end on a somber note, and maybe that's not something DC is ready to do.

Thanks everyone for checking it out.

To address the discussion ...

I certainly thought about using the opening sequence during Ra's "flashback explanation" (I really did love the opening).

Also considered where else I might be able to cut it in here and there throughout the film.

In both cases, to do so would have upset the pacing/timing, and for no reason other than to add what was cut (it really wouldn't have given you any more information than you already had). So I simply cut it and pretty much left the rest of the film alone.

Anyway, this was a fun first fan edit, and only took a few hours. I'm now interested in trying something a bit more challenging, something I don't think anyone has done yet. Will post that project when finished.

interested to hear how this turns out. i'll give it a swirl. like the original a lot. so we'll see.

I bought Under the Red Hood on DVD recently, and have been waiting for a chance to watch it. But I think that I'll watch this edit first, instead. I'll post back with a review some time over the next couple of days.

tehwallaby said:
I bought Under the Red Hood on DVD recently, and have been waiting for a chance to watch it. But I think that I'll watch this edit first, instead. I'll post back with a review some time over the next couple of days.

I enjoy this method of watching fanedits when possible. I have owned Spiderman 3 on BD for a long time, but have never ever seen it. I decided to watch Badscooter's versin first so I could watch scooter's version as if it were a new movie rather than an edit, and likewise did this for Q2's Horrifying Hours. It's a fascinating approach for a unique viewing experience :) (I wish could unwatch Phantom Menace ;) )

Batman: Under the Hood

Review by tehwallaby

I feel I should preface this review with the statement that I have not seen the original version of this film, as I didn't have an excuse to watch the DVD until this edit came along. I did pop my original disc on, just to take a look at the first 10 minutes or so, where the substantial cuts were, but for the bulk of the film, I have only seen this edit.

Technically this is a great edit, at no point could I see any visible or audible signs of cuts. The image and audio quality was almost indistinguishable from the DVD (taking into account the encoding to AVI). Seamless, beautiful work. Storywise, I don't know exactly what's been changed from the original, but having watched the opening scenes (see above) I can say that the beginning is much tighter, and although as a long-time Bat-fan I knew all about Red Hood and Death in the Family, I could see the mystery unfold, as opposed to the blatant exposition and general spoiling of the plot of the original. Well done.

All round a great edit, and a DVD release will replace my original copy, on my shelf.

Video: 7/10
Audio: 6/10
Entertainment: 8/10

OVERALL: 7/10

Which, if I'm not mistaken. Qualifies this as approved.

approved.png

Congratulations buthfe!

I'm simply bumping this thread so that an admin notices we have a new approved fanedit!

This edit deserved better than passing totally unnoticed as it did. I suppose it had something to do with the lack of a DVD version. In any case, it's a pretty huge improvement over the original, which did have a first act for dummies. The movie does work much better without the prologue, which is a huge spoiler in itself, and without the Captain Obviousness in the robot fight sequence (also, thank you for losing some really awful one-liners, I wish you removed more of them throughout the movie), the cutting of which shows that you DO know how to edit, beyond removing a prologue. However, I think that instead of discarding the prologue entirely, you should have inserted it in the much later Ra's Al Ghul sequence. That part of Batman history is too important to be dispatched with an almost casual "Then, he murdered the boy". This version of the movie, while better than the original, does feel even more slight than the original was (why oh WHY must all the DCAU movies be so dreadfully short?). Would you please consider a 2.0 version that reinserts that sequence where it should always have been, thus improving on the improvement?

Meanwhile, even as it is, this gets an 8/10.

Back
Top Bottom