• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

STAR TREK "Perdition's Flames"

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"He tasks me! He tasks me, and I shall have him!
I'll chase him round the Moons of Nibia, and round the Antares Maelstrom, and round Perdition's Flames before I give him up! "

Sins of the Past return to haunt Admiral James T. Kirk...

A minor training cruise turns into a desperate fight for survival
as an old enemy from Kirk's past returns to extract his revenge.

Entangled in this web of vengeance is an inexperienced new crew,
a long lost son and a startling new scientific creation.
A creation, that in the wrong hands, could become the most powerful weapon in the galaxy!

Relive the adventure from an entirely new perspectiive!

tagline: "The KIRK P.O.V. Cut"

Basic details: The intent of this edit is NOT to create a better movie. Wrath of Khan already rocks!!!
Instead, I set out to create an alternate, and hopefully, entertaining viewing experience.

We have all seen WRATH OF KHAN a million times. It is the most popular and considered the best of the Original Cast movies.
So, if one wanted to edit this classic gem, what approach should one take?
I have always been facinated by the fact that KIRK and KHAN never physically meet in the movie. So I wondered if it would be possible
to recut the movie by removing most of scenes with KHAN and retelling the story from KIRK's point of view?
In this version, we the audience only see KHAN when KIRK does, and experience the adventure from KIRK's perspective.
Hopefully, this will provide the viewer with a fresh experience while rewatching this Trek Classic for the upteemth time!

original film names: STAR TREK THE WRATH OF KHAN The Director's Edition
Space Seed, Charlie X, City on the Edge of Forever,
Arena, Amok Time and a few others...

new film name : STAR TREK "Perdition's Flames"
film studio name : Paramount Pictures
edit crew name : Bionic Bob
persons involved: Me
Date Original Film Was Released : Theatrical Release 1982, DVD Director's Edition 2002
Date Edit Was Released : August 2010
Original Runtime : 116 min
New Runtime : 87 mins
Cut/Add Time: cut about 26 minutes
added about 2-3 minutes

Fanedit details:
Intention: Recut movie in TOS Style from the perspective of Admiral Kirk.

Editing Details:
Used iMac 10.5, Mac the Ripper, MPEG Streamclip, Final Cut Express, GarageBand, and iDVD

Cuts removed/added/extended (add list of what was changed):
--created new opening teaser introducing Reliant, Genesis, Terrell, Chekov and our mystery villian
--modified TOS opening credits from V'GER edit
--cut all Regula One scenes featuring Carol and David Marcus
--cut Khan introduction and torture of Terrell and Chekov
--cut all Reliant/Khan scenes
--cut all scenes featuring Spock in Engine Room
--added flashback to Space Seed episode
--restructured Spock's funeral scene
--modified new closing credits from V'GER edit
--added TOS music and sound f/x
--plus one or two other surprises!

Remember, infinite diversity in infinite combinations. :)

Great! I've been highly anticipating this one! :grin:

DwightFry78 said:
Great! I've been highly anticipating this one! :grin:

Nice to hear. :smile:

Hope you like it.

The Edit has already been uploaded to R/S thanks the amazing L8TWR,
so hopefully the links and additional info will be up on the Main Page in a day or so. :)

I download this, witch took less than a couple of hours. popped it in and everything was fine until i got to the part with kirk and midshipman preston in engineering where the disc froze up. Its probably a fault at my end, so i'll give it a go again tommorow and see if i get the same problem.

Rogue-theX said:
popped it in and everything was fine until i got to the part with kirk and midshipman preston in engineering where the disc froze up.
Just to let you know, the edit played through without incident for me.

Captain Khajiit said:

This is good news :) .
I'm certain the problem the first time was at my end, i only posted about it to see if it happened to anybody else. Dl'ing now at apprx. 800 kb/s :D .

Rogue-theX said:
Captain Khajiit said:

This is good news :) .
I'm certain the problem the first time was at my end, i only posted about it to see if it happened to anybody else. Dl'ing now at apprx. 800 kb/s :D .[/quote:24ql6u6u]

it sounds more like you had a bad media issue than anything else

tranzor said:
it sounds more like you had a bad media issue than anything else

"TDK dvd -r 1x16, 4.7gb" I read verbatim is the way to go but i'v never come across them before.

Rogue-theX said:
"TDK dvd -r 1x16, 4.7gb"
TDK are usually fairly reliable. (I buy Verbatim for DVD-9 and Taiyo Yuden for DVD-5.) I think that perhaps tranzor meant just the disc in question though, rather than the make.

Captain Khajiit said:
I think that perhaps tranzor meant just the disc in question though, rather than the make.
I see.
I'v had about 3 coasters so far and im a third of the way thru a 100 spindle, i'v been using Ulead dvd movie factory to burn the folders to the discs, could that be the problem? is their better software i should be using to burn with?

Imgburn is what I use. It has a reputation for reliability, and I have always found it excellent -- and it is free! :smile:

Burned great here's my review. I didn't know how to post it on .org so i put it here.

This review is based on my opinions and my viewing experience. Nothing is meant as an attack. Spoiler warning.

AUDIO: Audio quality sounded fine on my 2.0 system. when the Reliant is coming around Regula to chase the Enterprise the audio transition between the two pieces of music did not work right, but it may have been the only option. The shot of the Reliant coming at the camera (just before spock says "they are reducing speed"), the music looping there could have been better. I felt that certain scenes were too quiet and others were too loud. When chapter 8 came in the music builds and then almost immediately dies off, the music there could have been left out entirely.
7 out of 10

VIDEO: The picture is letterboxed, but me and my regular tv didn't mind :smile: . Image quality did not seem on par with the special edition dvd. I noticed a blip frame at around 1:12:52 between the shot of Uhura looking at the viewscreen and the shot of the damaged Reliant.
7 out of 10

Editing: When Chekov comes onto the bridge near the end offering assistance and the music continues, that worked very well. The first attack of Reliant towards Enterprise was excellent. The original series music worked wonders for the edit and helped make me believe i was watching a trek episode. It would have been nice to see a bit more khan, not seeing very much of him now he loses some of his depth, but just hearing his last words over the comm was great. The cut where Sulu says "reliant in this sector and slowing" felt a bit forced.
8 out of 10

Entertainment: I very much enjoyed this edit of the wrath of khan, it was fun. The black and white footage seen throughout from space seed ect. was very cool. Awesome title/credit sequences. Spocks funeral was classic trek, again made me feel like i was watching a genuine episode, but if it was shorter around 50-55 minutes it would have been even more convincing.
9 out of 10

Overall 8 out of 10.

On a side note, there was something about this edit, i dont know what it was, but it reminded me of what originally attracted me to the film when i was a kid, all the fun and excitement that i had. I remembered what it was like watching it for the first time. It brought back forgotten memories of Lego Wrath of Khan re-enactments, making my friends watch the movie for the upteenth time. For that brief time i was a kid once again, a person i thought was lost, so thank you very much for that bionicbob.
Sincerely. Rogue.

"To be continued"? F*#* yeah!!!!

On a side note, there was something about this edit, i dont know what it was, but it reminded me of what originally attracted me to the film when i was a kid, all the fun and excitement that i had. I remembered what it was like watching it for the first time. It brought back forgotten memories of Lego Wrath of Khan re-enactments, making my friends watch the movie for the upteenth time. For that brief time i was a kid once again, a person i thought was lost, so thank you very much for that bionicbob.

Wow! That may be the nicest compliment I have ever received. :)
You are most welcome Rogue-theX!!!

Now i've been working on some cover art for this, its pretty good imo but there's something about the back that doesn't sit right with me, that and the titling/logos on the spine need a bit more work. I'm kinda stuck. So can anyone think of how to spruce up the back some? Also any other suggestions would be appreciated.

perditionsflamescoverro.png

Looks awesome!

I think that regarding the spine, the Movie Star Trek logo doesn't fit with the TOS style title. Perhaps using the TOS Star Trek logo would be more fitting, and if you do that, perhaps carry that over to the cover as well?

But really, this looks sweet. Perhaps you can make one in similar style for V'ger, but do it in kind of a blue hue, kind of build a theme?

Updated above image based on L8wrtr's ideas, plus a couple other little things. What say you folks? Can anybody think of anything else that can spiffy this up a bit more, or am i done? personally i still think something is missing on the back, maybe credits? or maybe an edit discription?

Front and spine look fantastic.

Perhaps use some text about the edit itself under the Enterprise?

In his sophomore effort, BionicBob continues his re-imagination of the Stat Trek movie franchise by giving an entirely new spin to Wrath of Khan. As KIRK and KHAN never physically meet in the movie, BionicBob explored the possibility, is it possible to recut the movie by removing most of scenes with KHAN and retelling the story from KIRK's point of view?
In this version, we the audience only see KHAN when KIRK does, and experience the adventure from KIRK's perspective.
Hopefully, this will provide the viewer with a fresh experience while rewatching this Trek Classic for the upteemth time!

Perdition's Flames; an alternate, and hopefully, entertaining viewing experience.

I based the above on the post itself, but what do you all think?

Back
Top Bottom