• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Centurion 2010

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1020558/

image1wql.jpg

Looks pretty good, I was really jazzed when I found out about Rosemary Sutcliffe's Book The Eagle of the Ninth was being made into a movie but this one is about the actual lost ninth legion (historically true) and what happened to them.

EDIT: Oops, I'm always getting those two mixed up, correct author in italics.

searcher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wasn't sure about this movie, but read the IMDB rating and it sounds very good, any idea when the release date is?

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched it last night....not bad at all. Although I'm fairly confident that you'd be able to predict certain scenes and the overall outcome/conclusion.

On a historical note, I'd love to know what actual language the 'Picts' were speaking, bearing in mind it's extinct. Was interesting to note that when the Picts were speaking English - it was not in a Scottish accent, which would be correct. Except they then managed to blow that whole thing later on.....

I think I'll look more forward to the Boudica film coming next year, being historically correct.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
white43 said:
On a historical note, I'd love to know what actual language the 'Picts' were speaking, bearing in mind it's extinct.
I have not seen it - only knew it existed when I saw a television advertisement for it two days ago - but according to IMDb it is Gaelic, and I would imagine that IMDb is correct here, as the same was done for King Arthur ; so yes you could argue that that was a Q Celtic language that the Scots brought to the area later on, and it should actually have been a P Celtic one similar to Welsh or Cornish. Perhaps Welsh was avoided as it might have been recognized by the audience, in Britain at least, or maybe the studio just wanted something that sounded a bit different and did not care much for the details. I suspect that the latter is true. Really it would not have mattered much if a Scots accent had been used though, as it would simply have been a way of discerning one group from another.

Is it relatively faithful to the book? I read it years ago.

white43 said:
I think I'll look more forward to the Boudica film coming next year, being historically correct.
Now that is optimism! :smile:

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
Is it relatively faithful to the book? I read it years ago.

Centurion was based on a book? or are you thinking of The Eagle of the Ninth movie which comes out later this year?

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
Centurion was based on a book? or are you thinking of The Eagle of the Ninth movie which comes out later this year?
Yes; I am afraid that I misread your first post! :)

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Damn! I was quite looking forward to reading it :)

I so wish they'd do some of her other books as I think 'Mark of the Horse Lord' or 'Knights Fee' would make the most amazing movies or even discover Mary Renault and adapt The King Must Die and The Bull from The Sea.

white43

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Captain Khajiit said:
white43 said:
Now that is optimism! :smile:

Not quite sure what came over me there. Not even sure this film is still being made. :-(

Top Bottom