• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

INSOMNIA [Memento Mori Edition]**Version 2**

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
insomniammeposter.png

What kind of fan-edit: TRUE FAN-EDIT by Stankpac

This is a fan-edit of Christopher Nolan's "Insomnia" told in reverse chronological order like his previous film "Memento". It is meant to be more of a companion disc like the "Memento" 2-disc limited edition, where in this case the original film is the first disc told in chronological order and the second disc is to have this special version of the film told in reverse. Now just slap on the new disc art, put it in a double dvd case and you have yourself an "Insomnia" 2-disc limited edition.

Tagline: In the season of the midnight sun, no one - and no secret - can hide forever.

Original film name: INSOMNIA

New film name: INSOMNIA [Memento Mori Edition]

Film studio name: Warner Bros.

Fan-edit studio name: Stankpac Pictures

Date original film was released: May 2002

Date edit was released: August 2010

Original runtime: 118 Min.

New Runtime: 121 Min.

Amount of time Cut/Added : Cut: 1 Min. (approx.) / Added: 4 Min. (approx.)

Cuts removed/added/extended:

- Cut: After the title credits, removed the frames of Dormer cleaning the blood from his cuff. Not needed because now it opens up with the end of the movie moving in reverse. I cleaned up the sequence up the best I could, considering it is not suppose to go backwards.

- Add: Now all the chronological sequences have been re-colored in black & white and the reverse chronological sequences are in color. When going from color to black & white it will fade in and then fade out, kinda like an "eye blink". Very similar in style like the movie Memento!

- Add: Anytime in the black & white sequences that Dormer has a vision, I have left those in color. The reasoning behind that is that those are the only things Dormer has a clear frame of mind on.

- Cut: Removed a few frames of Al Pacino's stunt double looking at the camera during the log chase, after he has fallen into the water.

- Cut: Removed the last few frames right before he attends Kay's memorium. Now movie ends with what looks like a somewhat cool looking shot of Dormer sitting at the edge of the bed contemplating. That Dormer not sleeping is going to catch up with him.

Synopsis: Now see the movie thru Will Dormer's (Al Pacino) eyes as he tries not to let the long sunny Alaskan days get to him while figuring out a serial killer's mind. However, an unspeakable act starts to slowly creep into his guilty conscious challenging his sanity that he might not be able to come back from.

Director Christopher Nolan (Memento) crafts another jolting psychological thriller to remember, guiding Academy Award winners* Al Pacino, Robin Williams and Hilary Swank in Insomnia. In the season of the midnight sun, no one - and no secret - can hide forever.

insomniadisccoverart.png

Fanedit details:
- DVD FORMAT: NTSC - Dual-Layered
- ASPECT RATIO: Anamorphic Widescreen (2:40.1). Enhanched for 16x9 televisions
- AUDIO: English Dolby Surround 5.1, French Dolby Surround 5.1
- LANGUAGE: English and French
- SUBTITLES: None.
- DVD EXTRAS: None.

:flame:On a side note: If someone is willing to do proper subtitles (English, French, & Spanish) for me by putting it into a .srt format file, I will gladly re-compile this edit and then re-upload it. Just drop me an e-mail with the link on Rapidshare or Megaupload (Stankpac@msn.com).

Your way to achieve your intention: I took the idea of Christopher Nolan's film "Memento", where instead of telling the story in the more traditional linear way, he told it in a reverse chronological order to let the audience figure it out along with the main character. I figured the same concept would work great with "Insomnia". I must say I think it does. As far as the minor discrepency in runtime, I had to add in the lead in scenes from all the "reverse chronological order" sequences (color) in order for the audience to know what sequence goes next. That adds minutes to the overall runtime, so theoretically that is the only thing added to make this edit work properly.

Hardware and software information:
- DVD SHRINK 3.2 (RIPPING MOVIE TO HDD)
- NERO (EDITING & ENCODING)
- GOLDWAVE (MORE SOUND EDITING)
- ADOBE PHOTSHOP CS4 (ART & MENUS)
- DVD-LAB PRO 2 (AUTHORING TO DVD)

Additional Comment: I just want to give a personal thank you to this site. Without it, we may never know that a potentially good movie lies beneath the surface. To all the other fan-editors who dedicate their time making these fan-edits, all for the sheer enjoyment of bringing people's beloved classics into a whole new light. Lastly, to all the reviewers who post comments, your opinions matter because they pave the way for fan-editor's to know what your likes and dislikes of a particular movie are and all the time spent watching these fan-edits...that shows extreme dedication!

Time needed for the edition: About a month

Persons involved: Just myself

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks great, I re-watched Insomnia the other week before inception and
1 - it was the first time I enjoyed it
2 - I thought to myself, this would really benefit from a mementomix (...or is that a copy-written jorge word ;) )
The original film has little suspense IMO as we know what happened throughout, the "villain" wasnt a surprise, and the ending was quite obvious. On this last viewing however, I paid more attention to the characters rather than their actions and think I was always just watching the film from the wrong point of view.
At any rate, I would wager that this edit makes the film much better. Will be watching it soon!
Thanks SP!

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
2 - I thought to myself, this would really benefit from a mementomix (...or is that a copy-written jorge word ;) )
Hey, I only granted jorge a license to use the term!

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:p Now the show makes so much more sense! LOL!

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this review is regarding the edit off the front page of the site:

I am very surprised to see no reviews or ratings yet for this edit, since it has been out for a few weeks. I think it may be for the fact that it was not a huge blockbuster and does not have the Star Wars crowd in mind? Ehh whatever the reason it pleases me to be the first

I found this to be rather awesome. The Memento like backwards chronological order added a whole other feeling and level to the actual film. The story still flows well. In essence it kind of gave me an overall impression as if David Lynch re-edited the film to his style of cinema.

The only minor whim I had was the transitions of the past with the present. Regular fade outs/ins were used for this and I think the fades went too quickly, so that for the brief nanosecond I was psychically removed from the film. Once the transition ended I was right back in again. Perhaps if longer, gradual (cross fade) fades were used it might have went a little smoother. Occasionally I would also see a slight shutter effect of movement. It happened roughly only twice in the film and no idea why since everything else was on key, and something most of everyone would not notice at all.

Not better than the original but awesome as an alternative viewing choice

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for the review, I appreciate it.:high5: At least someone finally watched it. Yeah! LOL.:laugh:

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you're welcome. It can be frustrating when you see something like 100 downloads for your edit and only 2 reviews or worse 100 downloads and no feedback at all

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
you're welcome. It can be frustrating when you see something like 100 downloads for your edit and only 2 reviews or worse 100 downloads and no feedback at all
I totally agree with that 100%. :frusty:

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I plan on DLing and watching this, but ive reached my internet data usage limit for the month so I have to wait a few days.

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have it and probably will watch it tonight.

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
:flame:**Version 2** Now Available :flame:
Did a minor update to my fan-edit by fixing the transitional effects I used. Now they are closer in look to the way they look in the movie Memento. I have just finished uploading the new files to Megaupload, so the new .dlc link is not quite yet available on the .info site. If you want to PM me, I will send you the links! :)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DLC has been updated with V2. Happy downloading folks!:peace:

Stay Thirsty.

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's always good when an edit gets improved, but not so much for those of us who don't have Premium MU status-_-

STANKPAC

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jamiemark said:
It's always good when an edit gets improved, but not so much for those of us who don't have Premium MU status-_-
Why do you need Premium MU account? Just put the links in JDownloader and you'll have it in no time! :wave:

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
STANKPAC said:
Why do you need Premium MU account? Just put the links in JDownloader and you'll have it in no time! :wave:

It just takes longer without a Premium account. No worries, I bit the bullet and bought one. Seems to be the preferred method over RS here now anyways.

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For some reason, when I try to get the dlc from .info, I'm getting an error page (Firefox is my browser).

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yep an error for me too. We'll see to correct that.

Top Bottom