• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

the Town

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[youtubewide:3hej4qx8]

looks great :)

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
looks awesome!

ben looks like he is stepping his directing game up. funny how "directed by ben affleck" doesnt sell tickets though.

it does look like a more action packed gone baby gone though so, he might be a one trick pony behind the camera. still looks decent, I mean, who doesnt love a good robbery film?!

Trailer seems to give wayyyy too much away though, hope I am wrong.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
LOL... absolutely no reason to see this now...

this is why i try DESPERATELY to not see/hear/read anything about movies i am interested in :)

voodl

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
this is why i try DESPERATELY to not see/hear/read anything about movies i am interested in :)

how you choose movies you want to see then? :p

searcher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks like a great movie, look forward to its release.

T-HOPE

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have no idea what to think about this movie. The trailer didn't make it quite clear to me what it's all about, etc.

joebshmoe

Reaction score
Trophy Points
voodl said:

how you choose movies you want to see then? :p
favorite actors/directors/genres. of course folks still excitedly talk about something they are interested in. i just don't want to digest it until i've left the theater.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am with you joebshmoe, trailers nowadays give away too much. I hope I am wrong and theres just alot going on in this film and the "big spoilers" it revealed aren't really that big. I thought Affleck did a great job w/ gone baby gone so I am very interested in this one but will probably wait for DVD/BR.

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another solid film for Ben Affleck behind the directors chair - even if he hasnt grown much from gone baby gone. The action is bigger here but isnt as driving a force as I expected it to be for a caper film.

The real star of the show is Jeremy Renner's convincing performance as a Boston thug with no morals - simply awesome (and chilling). The ending feels a bit tacked on, but overall I enjoyed this and would watch it again.

7/10

update - watched the extended directors cut last night which adds a whopping 30 minutes back in - aside from one scene being unneeded and a few that worked better in the theatrical this was an even better cut of the film IMO.

8/10

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
Another solid film for Ben Affleck behind the directors chair - even if he hasnt grown much from gone baby gone. The action is bigger here but isnt as driving a force as I expected it to be for a caper film.

The real star of the show is Jeremy Renner's convincing performance as a Boston thug with no morals - simply awesome (and chilling). The ending feels a bit tacked on, but overall I enjoyed this and would watch it again.

7/10

update - watched the extended directors cut last night which adds a whopping 30 minutes back in - aside from one scene being unneeded and a few that worked better in the theatrical this was an even better cut of the film IMO.

8/10

I watched the theatrical cut and am about halfway through the extended director's cut. To those who haven't seen it and think the trailer spoiled the movie, it didn't. The "spoiler" of Ben Affleck being one of the bankrobbers who kidnapped the woman is something that you find out in the very beginning. The movie is really about the events that follow the initial robbery.

But on a side note I do agree with you joebshmoe,

joebshmoe said:
i try DESPERATELY to not see/hear/read anything about movies i am interested in :)

A lot of trailers do give away way too much (you basically get a truncated synopsis of the entire movie). And reviews these days also can give away stuff. You'd think experienced movie critics would know how to write a review without giving too much away.

I recall the review by Peter Travers of Rolling Stone Magazine for the Ed Norton movie "The Illusionist" and Travers says something along the lines of
'Jessica Biel's character may or may not be dead' or 'She is seemingly dead'
. And I just thought WTF! way to ruin it.

veggieguy12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
elbarto1 said:
The real star of the show is Jeremy Renner's convincing performance as a Boston thug with no morals - simply awesome (and chilling).

If you mean that morals are steadfast & unchanged across cultures, that everybody knows what is moral vs. immoral and there is no situation when something judged immoral by most could ever be convincingly excused or justified as moral by anyone - in contrast with ethics, which are defined by each person and the culture they came/come from - then I guess the "Jimmy Coughlin" character was lacking morals.
But he certainly had his ethics:
to defend & support his friends/family (without hesitation/question) & to not surrender to police, at the least.

veggieguy12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why was Claire ever kidnapped? I mean, what was so off that they needed her "for insurance if the cops come"? It was apparent that they had never before kidnapped anyone, but I don't see what was so bad that they took her after the robbery.

Top Bottom