If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

Smallville
(10-25-2020, 03:04 AM)Zarius Wrote:

WARNING!  MILD SPOILERS....

When I first saw this new scene, I thought it was BRILLIANT.  It made Lex smarter and darker.  He knows Clark's secret and is basically messing with him/testing him in the later scenes.

EXCEPT.... this creates a very confusing plot point later in the movie.  In the last act, for when Lex kills Lionel, he is asking who The Traveller is?  Shouldn't Lex know?  Does he think The Traveler and Clark are different beings?  Or is he so desperate for his father's love, he just wants Lionel to confess the truth to him?
"... let's go exploring!" -- CALVIN.
[+] 1 user Likes bionicbob's post
(10-25-2020, 08:23 AM)bionicbob Wrote:

WARNING!  MILD SPOILERS....

When I first saw this new scene, I thought it was BRILLIANT.  It made Lex smarter and darker.  He knows Clark's secret and is basically messing with him/testing him in the later scenes.

EXCEPT.... this creates a very confusing plot point later in the movie.  In the last act, for when Lex kills Lionel, he is asking who The Traveller is?  Shouldn't Lex know?  Does he think The Traveler and Clark are different beings?  Or is he so desperate for his father's love, he just wants Lionel to confess the truth to him?

Dramatically, it would help a lot if Lex is like "I know you know, so let me know you know" and it just fuels enough desperation and frustration to drive him to murder. Maybe I should ask Souperboy via correspondence what his mindset was here?
[+] 1 user Likes Zarius's post
(10-25-2020, 08:56 AM)Zarius Wrote:
(10-25-2020, 08:23 AM)bionicbob Wrote:

Dramatically, it would help a lot if Lex is like "I know you know, so let me know you know" and it just fuels enough desperation and frustration to drive him to murder. Maybe I should ask Souperboy via correspondence what his mindset was here?

Actually I posted on his Youtube Page, and he provided a really good explanation to his thought process on this scene:

Quote:My thinking was it was sort of a mix of both of your guesses. He knows about Clark’s powers and how he used them to save Lex’s life, but it’s also established that there are weird things that happen in Smallville and that even if Clark has powers, it doesn’t mean he’s The Traveler who fell to Earth during the Meteor Shower. Even in the cave with Chloe he asks her if Clark is the one that took the stone, still not 100% sure that he’s in the middle of everything. That’s also why I wanted the sword scene to still be a dream, so that the lack of a direct reckoning between Clark and Lex kept an ambiguous feeling going. And then perhaps the arrival of Faora and Namek, and the subsequent arrival of Zod (as well as glimpses of Kara in Lex’s dreams) throw his Traveler compass off a bit as well. But yes I would say Lex was 99% sure who The Traveler was by the time he was asking Lionel (after all he had an entire file on Clark in the Roosevelt Server), and was almost testing Lionel to see if his Dad would be truthful with him.
[+] 2 users Like bionicbob's post
So, I just bought the Smallville "Pilot" in glorious HD (my first time seeing the show that way) on Amazon Video, and... alack!!! It's a made-for-reruns edit, missing three minutes of key scenes:

Quote:
  • In one scene Clark daydreams of using his powers to win a football game, and impressing Lana.
  • During the argument Clark and Jonathan have about keeping the truck Lex bought him Jonathan mentions how Lionel cheated farmers out of their properties. “So you’re judging Lex on what his father did?” “No, Clark. I’m not. I just want you to know where the money came from that bought that truck.”
  • Lex talks about the history of the Luthor mansion - which is supposed to be his ancestral home and was "shipped over from Scotland stone by stone".
  • Before leaving the school dance at the end, Clark gets revenge on Whitney by stacking his truck on top of three others.
  • And finally before Clark daydreams of Lana coming to his loft he tells Jonathan he’s glad that he and Martha were the ones who found him. To which Jonathan replies “we didn’t find you, Clark. You found us.”

I definitely missed these missing moments, especially Clark and Jonathan's reconciliation. I navigated over to the Hulu version, which is also incomplete, and various other digital sources list a runtime of 45 minutes, rather than the correct 48. In other words, it looks as though all publicly available versions are abridged - except, that is, the (SD) one from the Season 1 DVD set.

So... will anyone here be super enough (sorry) to create a fan restoration of the episode, patching in the missing DVD bits into the digital HD version? Blush
(10-30-2020, 01:48 AM)Gaith Wrote: So, I just bought the Smallville "Pilot" in glorious HD (my first time seeing the show that way) on Amazon Video, and... alack!!! It's a made-for-reruns edit, missing three minutes of key scenes:

Quote:
  • In one scene Clark daydreams of using his powers to win a football game, and impressing Lana.
  • During the argument Clark and Jonathan have about keeping the truck Lex bought him Jonathan mentions how Lionel cheated farmers out of their properties. “So you’re judging Lex on what his father did?” “No, Clark. I’m not. I just want you to know where the money came from that bought that truck.”
  • Lex talks about the history of the Luthor mansion - which is supposed to be his ancestral home and was "shipped over from Scotland stone by stone".
  • Before leaving the school dance at the end, Clark gets revenge on Whitney by stacking his truck on top of three others.
  • And finally before Clark daydreams of Lana coming to his loft he tells Jonathan he’s glad that he and Martha were the ones who found him. To which Jonathan replies “we didn’t find you, Clark. You found us.”

I definitely missed these missing moments, especially Clark and Jonathan's reconciliation. I navigated over to the Hulu version, which is also incomplete, and various other digital sources list a runtime of 45 minutes, rather than the correct 48. In other words, it looks as though all publicly available versions are abridged - except, that is, the (SD) one from the Season 1 DVD set.

So... will anyone here be super enough (sorry) to create a fan restoration of the episode, patching in the missing DVD bits into the digital HD version? Blush

Another strong argument for the importance of collecting Physical Media.  Big Grin
He finally got around to posting the Lex and Fortress scene. A highlight of the edit

And we've reached the end of the clips. Not sure how long Souperboy's going to lie low now, but he's earned the rest.

My apologies for not promoting ALL of the clips, I got side-tracked by writing projects, plus I didn't want to 'tire' of this edit so I took a break from it
Thanks for posting and keeping us all up to date Zarius  Big Grin

The Last Son of Krypton is a monumental editing achievement.  While it is not perfect, it's entertainment value for Superman fans can not be understated.  Well worth the watch!
[+] 1 user Likes bionicbob's post