• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Spider-Man 3: Redemption by Badscooter

elbarto1

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tagline: We are who we choose to be
Original film name: Spider-Man 3
New film name : Spider-Man 3: Redemption
Film studio name : Columbia Pictures
Edit crew name : Badscooter
Date Original Film Was Released : May 2007
Date Edit Was Released : June 2010
Original Runtime : 139 mins
New Runtime : 111 mins
Amount of time Cut/Added : 28 minutes cut

Fanedit details:
After witnessing the beautifully crafted Spider-Man 2 we all waited with bated breath for the 2007 release of Spider-Man 3. The trailers and posters promised so much but on its release we saw a movie that just couldn't live up to the hype.

Studio & director couldn't agree and production was fraught with scripting & scheduling problems.

The final film felt rushed with too many villains and inter connecting stories all fighting for screen time. Fans felt cheated in the handling of characters & classic storylines.

Now there is Spider-Man 3 Redemption. A true fan edit that finds a tighter movie with villains moved to supporting roles to allow the Peter/Harry story to reach its deserved finale.

Intention:

My intention was to try and make an edit of Spider-Man 3 that would stand alongside the first 2 movies and complete the trilogy on the right note.

In this version Flint Marko is no longer the killer of Peter's uncle, a lot of the humour has also been removed.

Peter's fall to the darkside is no longer brought about through guilt but through his ego and new found self importance.

Harry now chooses to help Peter & Mary Jane by himself without being asked by Peter or guilted into it by the butler.

This version gives more focus to the journeys of Peter and Harry and how both find redemtion for themselves.

Editing Details : AVS Video Converter 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 8

Cuts removed:

Changed the opening scene, removed the Peter monologue, The Broadway musical & Harry taking the performance enhancers has been moved to later.

Sandman is no longer Uncle Ben's killer. I have removed all elements of this from the movie.

I removed Flint Marko's wife and most of his sick daughter. I wanted sandman to be a sympathetic character but don't want that to distract from the fact he is still a villain.

Gwen Stacy is no longer a model. All references to this have been removed. It's hard enough to believe the Peter is dating one model/actress without adding another to the story.Gwen remains now as as an unintentional antagonist to Mary Jane.

Harry now helps Peter through his own free will; he no longer needs Peter to ask him for help or the butler to explain about Norman's death.

The symbiote attaches it self to Peter when he is vulnerable after the disaster of his proposal to Mary Jane. His guilt over killing the man he thought responsible for Ben's death no longer plays a part.

I have removed a lot of the humour which I felt didn't work such as the Peter strut & JJ's desk.

The Jazz club scene is also shorter removing most of the dance.

The news reporter and all the scenes with kids have been trimmed or removed as I felt there was over kill in the original cut.

I have also cut lines of dialogue I felt unnecessary or cheesy, some I couldn't remove due to it causing problems with the tone of other lines delivery or musical cues sounding out of place. Leaving these lines in shouldn't cause too many problems.

Tech Info:
Hardware and software information: AVS Video Converter 6, Adobe Premiere Elements 8
Release details: Download
Time needed for the edition: 3 days
Persons involved: 1

Artist name or real name: Badscooter
Year of birth: 1978
Where from: Ireland
Hobbies: Playing Soccer, Watching Movies
Interests: Playing Soccer, Watching Movies
Your favorite quote: "If someone asks if you are a god, you say, yes!"
Your personal favorites:
Your personal dislikes: Rom Coms
Your favorite movies: Raiders of the lost ark, ghostbusters, Spider-Man 2, Jaws, One flew over the cuckoos nest
Your favorite director: Sam Raimi
links to your homepage or another place of your interest:
How have you started making fanedits and why are you making them? Only made the one and did it so I had a version of Spider-Man 3 I could enjoy.
Is there a specific kind of fanedits you want to make? New to me
Do you have a faneditor idol? Not yet
Will you continue making fanedits? If my first is well recieved
What are your favorite fanedits, which you didn't create yourself? Haven't seen any yet

Badscooter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is now an avi version on MU for anyone who doesn't fancy downloading the full sized version.

Hope you enjoy

Badscooter

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I cant approve this....

spiderman.jpg

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
you have a problem with spidey 3 tetris-ized? ;-)

Badscooter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I didn't even perform any edit in that scene transition.
Any idea why this would happen when this section is straight from the blu ray rip (no edit from me)?

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, first thing is, did you watch a burned copy of your DVD fade-in to fade-out? That's usually a good idea before releasing.

AvP, was this just at that moment? Were there other instances of this?

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And is it a shot from the DVD or the AVI?

AvP

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Its the DVD, i didnt watch any further.

Badscooter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did indeed watch it before I released but I guess I was paying so much attention to my edits that I didn't notice the blocking in a scene which was untouched.

My error for which I apologize

I have fixed this and am now encoding a new avi which I hope someone will look at for me.
Once I get the ok on the avi I will re-release the dvd.

Badscooter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi guys

I have a new AVI (700MB) version available of my edit which fixes the blocking issue noticed by AvP.
PM me if anyone is interested.

Badscooter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hope to have this avaialble in the next few days. Sorry for the delay

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This should be popping up online very soon. And I announce it will be getting approved: as soon as it's available I'll post the approval review. So, download with no fear. It's good stuff.

Dwight Fry

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NOTE: This review is based on the DVD version.

Spider-Man 3. The black sheep in the saga of the webshooting hero. The main problem about it being that it was a movie at odds with itself: at the same time the campiest and the darkest in the series, the most comedic and the most dramatic. In the same movie we had the hero beating his girlfriend and almost becoming a murderer, AND goofing around in sequences out of a ZAZ spoof. Well, that's no longer the case in Badscooter's reshaping of it: he has focused in the human drama and the love triangle between Peter, MJ, and Harry, and also in the darker aspects of the plot, pushing extraneous elements centering on the villains and parallel plots to the background, and losing almost all of the goofy comedy and plot contrivances. Which results in a much improved watching experience.

PLOT: Now the center of it is Peter's relationship with MJ. That's what moves the story along and what motivates the fall and recovery of Spidey. A major change, and huge improvement, is that now Flint Marko had nothing to do with Uncle Ben's murder, and this removal is achieved in a way in which no one would suspect that was the case in the original if they had never seen it. No traces left at all. Thus, Peter's descent into the dark side is now motivated by personal love life failure. And it will be his love for MJ what saves him (and her) in the end. Harry's character arc runs parallel to this, and thanks to a key change near the end, what makes him ultimately tick will be love and friendship as well. It's now more than ever a story of (as the subtitle aptly puts it) redemption. Still, if you thought the love triangle was soap opera in the original, you'll think the same thing about this. There's only as much that fanediting can fix. 9/10.

IMAGE QUALITY: Remarkably good. It's SD DVD, but the source was Blu-Ray and the video is clean and crisp. There might be some very minimal stuttering and also very slight pixelization in fast motion-heavy shots, but one has to be looking for them, and looking really close, to notice. As for the edits, flawless. Not a single hard one. 9/10.

AUDIO QUALITY: I don't have proper home theater gear so I don't even know if this was 5.1 or 2.0, but it sounded good overall. I noticed saturation distortions in the noisiest moments, but that probably has more to do with my loudspeakers totally sucking than with anything else. The editing is again perfect, with no hard cuts at all. 7/10.

DIFFERENCE TO THE ORIGINAL: It's way more focused and centered overall. The most offensively cheesy moments are gone (no Saturday Night Fever Pete, no cooking, no landing in front of the American flag, no JJJ pills...). Secondary characters are much less intrusive now: Gwen Stacy is no longer a model, which is much more realistic (let's face it, Peter Parker may have his charm but is not the kind of guy supermodels drool over), and Eddie Brock has no relationship with her at all (good, everybody being connected to everybody in the original made NY seem like an awfully small place), other characters like Captain Stacy are hardly in the movie (I didn't mind him but no big loss anyway), and silly moments have been heavily trimmed or completely eliminated all through. The biggest casualty, as I've mentioned, is "Sandman shot Uncle Ben", which was contrived and I'm happy to lose. Overall, this carries a lot less fat and stupid humor. There are laughs left, but they mostly work and are funny (JJJ's best moments, and the great Bruce Campbell). 9/10.

OVERALL PRESENTATION: This has been made available both as a single layer DVD, which I'm reviewing, and an AVI file. The DVD has a still, silent main menu and scene selection. Not the flashiest or best looking I've seen, but it's all we really need and it achieves its purpose. 6/10.

ENTERTAINMENT: Head and shoulders above the theatrical release. Pacing is consistently good, and annoyance has been removed all through. This has not turned the movie into The Godfather, it hasn't even turned it into Spider-Man 2, but this is probably as much as it can be done. 9/10.

Badscooter shows genuine talent and a great deal of cinematic intuition in this, his firstling. I might be a little biased in my appreciation because I had a bit of input in the creation process of this edit, but that means I can more clearly see where the stitches are. And right now even myself am having a hard time in spotting them! :smile:

I don't know if someone who totally hated the theatrical release with a passion will appreciate this one, but IMO fans of the previous two installments will have a version they won't be ashamed to keep next to part 1 and 2 on their shelves. Overall: 9/10.

approved.png

TMBTM

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
FE page should be on the main FE site in not too long, sorry for the delay.
Could be found at the main Fanedit INFO page though.

Top Bottom